NeonRabbit's Proxy Reef Jar experiment

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 21, 2019
Messages
3,037
Reaction score
5,408
Location
Richmond, Va
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sister's fiancé is an avid diver and seemed interested in my reef hobby so for christmas I sent him some LR, ceriths and some aiptasia as a little desk experiment. Well the LR bag tore and had some die off I hadn't planned for and it nuked the aiptasia. I think he was disappointed at first but was eager to continue on a small setup.

He seemed interested in the coral keeping and I sent him a ton of information on Reef Jars, basic setups and had numerous phone calls totaling several hours about reefing. He ended up getting an air pump, 1 gallon jar and ABI reef light and seemed increasingly excited about keeping some easy coral. Today he went to a LFS and picked up 2 lbs of LR, a few hermits and snails and a Kenya tree. Wrote out the instructions to acclimate them and seems like he will be finishing the jar setup later today.

This build thread will be a proxy build thread for his first reef setup. Any tips on guiding him? Tagging @brandon429 as I know he likes stuffing animals in tiny containers as much as I do.
 
The crazy SOB did it. He ended up going with a Kenya as his first coral and got 2 lbs of additional live rock, blue legged hermits and an unidentified snail. The LFS store owner tried to convince him that he would need to cycle the jar for atleast a month before adding anything and said it would never work.

Here is the jar! Got a cool skeleton from a Scoli or Lobo which I guess is to some extent a "rock"
IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG


The last jar I did I made a DIY stir plate to generate random flow so on the question of flow I am not sure how to tell him to judge flow via an air pump. Here is a short clip below that I hope attaches fine. To me it looks too strong but he filled it to the rim. Thoughts? I think it would be good to cut that in half... I will be sending him a little care package of duplicate items I have such as an API test kit for kH and Calcium, coral food, air valves ect. Very excited to suck him down the rabbit hole.



Any thoughts for a new reefer keeping a jar would be appreciated! Don't want to overwhelm him to much too soon.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new