Neptune APEX Reliability (Shocking in my experience!)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't understand why fuse would trip I don't run my lights on it only return skimmer circulation pump heater and a fan. And how are things still running if fuse tripped?

No they should not be running if the fuse is blown. The heater does use a lot of current but it depends on the size. I also find it strange that you cannot return it if it is only five days old!
If Neptune cannot fix or change the unit then I would contact my credit card company. But first give them a chance to make things right.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the advice. What’s blue thumb? Lol

An understanding of what keeping a reef is all about. The leaning curves on controllers can be tough, and if you don't have a grounding in running a tank, they can be confusing and detrimental. The learning curves on reefing are tough enough without complications. When you have a grounding on how to keep a reef, then the controller becomes useful instead of using you. YMMV.

Last edited:

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm my opinion, Neptune is top notch. And I have a very, very extensive amount of their products (I control 4 tanks). Costumer service is fantastic.

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an Apex Controller and have had my issues but was able to fix all of them.
1) WIFI connection lost all the time. Fix: running a cable. It's not an Apex issue BTW. WIFI together with all the gear of a tank just does not go well together.
2) Salinity probe requires a specific way to calibrate it. Once you figured it out, its easy.
3) Probe cables you also do not want to run next to power cables because this will cause instability.

But in the end, I love the fact I can have everything in one device. Not compared a lot of others but I wonder if there are any other that allow you to program things like you can with an Apex.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs told me they won't take a return because I used it at all. So I just got stuck with a controller that isn't working as well as my 5 dollar timers were. for almost a grand

That is Neptune's policy that support cases are worked through them vice sellers. It is one of the few company policies that I agree with.

Also, while you are frustrated, many chip based failures with consumer products take place within the first week or closer to end of life for the silicon. Heck, at work I had to replace a new appliance within a week of install and the one the vendor sent had the same issue.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So, have you look at what that error means? You need to reset the fuse of the EB832, or it doesnt have power. If its the fuse, better take a look how you caused that.... doesnt really reflect reliability lol.

Harold, how could it be the fuse if the dashboard shows everything is off but the user stated that it's all running.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know man, I think the apex stuff is inexpensive. Compare it to more 'professional' controls for aquariums, and it is mega inexpensive.

Could you point me in the direction of some names of professional level controllers by chance? I've actually had very good reliability with Neptune but still interested in checking out some professional level equipment. Thanks

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My old classic is still running (it is restarted on monthly basis, when remembered and has aux P/S powered by APC). Last week it did something strange but I haven't seen it since restart.

The 2016 was never put on a tank because it freaked out after a week. Was instructed by support back then to reset with paperclip - something one couldn't do remotely; and therein lies the problem.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Could you point me in the direction of some names of professional level controllers by chance? I've actually had very good reliability with Neptune but still interested in checking out some professional level equipment. Thanks

I think he meant GHL

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harold, how could it be the fuse if the dashboard shows everything is off but the user stated that it's all running.

I wasn’t really bothering to read all the posts and help troubleshoot, not what this thread is about. Just wondering if he searched the issue.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Two clocks is not a bug..... you need to set your time zone for automatic to work. I’m thinking your issues are just basic misunderstandings rather than a reflection of reliability.

@TheHarold

My controller is set to automatic - or am I looking in a wrong place.

1572894256686.png

Double clock in fusion - what gives?

1572894576410.png

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TheHarold

My controller is set to automatic - or am I looking in a wrong place.

1572894256686.png

Double clock in fusion - what gives?

1572894576410.png
At certain times of year there’s an overlap period I think of around 2 weeks when the clocks change, certainly here in the UK. Mine looks exactly the same at the moment

It does mention it somewhere in the instructions

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Infant mortality?
Bathtub curve. It's true of many products. Due largely to manufacturing defects, products will fail at a higher rate when new. The failure rate drops as these defective units are removed from the supply. Then, at the failure rate goes up again fairly dramatically at the end of design life. If you graph failure vs time, its shaped like a bath tub.

Darn. I was hoping for some brands used in public aquaria given his background...
Some smaller public aquariums run GHL/Apex. The larger ones I am familiar with either run almost no automation or use industrial PLC's.
I'm not saying that there aren't any large aquariums that use GHL or Apex. Only that I am not aware of a higher end product that isn't an industrial PLC.

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he meant GHL
Nope, more industrial control systems that are used at PA’s. I don’t know much about ghl except they don’t yet seem to have enough support locally to me to make them a viable option for me.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. Darn. I was hoping for some brands used in public aquaria given his background...

Not ghl. :D Yeah there are a couple, but they all have to be massively customized and expensive. If you are still interested I’ll see if I can dig up some names. Some of their techs talked to me about the apex and kind of lost their minds at the functionality for the cost.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ghl. :D Yeah there are a couple, but they all have to be massively customized and expensive. If you are still interested I’ll see if I can dig up some names. Some of their techs talked to me about the apex and kind of lost their minds at the functionality for the cost.
Haha okay if we're talking real huge dollars maybe not. I was thinking more like Abyzz quality vs varios/vectra type thing which is expensive but still accessible for professional and high end hobby use. I run a small aquaculture facility so always looking for higher quality stuff. I use a ridiculous amount of Neptune equipment and have only ever had an issue with a few optical sensors so no real concern. Thanks!

Lifelongaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, nothing wrong with Apex. A beginner error totally my fault. I manually set time and didn't know I needed to put it back on auto after manual set so chip timer and atomic clock phone is set to feel out of sync and caused the head unit to not be able to complete statements as true. Customer support was very helpful

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back