Neptune SKY LED

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood. DO you think there would be some form of relationship (apart from the obvious) between the par meter and the lights?

Like lets say after a week or so it knows how much par you usually run or want/set it to and will automatically -/+ par on it's own and alert you if it falls from that?

Like if your carbon is exhausting sort of deal?
I do not necessarily know that that use-case would provide enough benefit, however there are a number of other possible uses that we may create a symbiosis between the two products down the road.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not necessarily know that that use-case would provide enough benefit, however there are a number of other possible uses that we may create a symbiosis between the two products down the road.
Just an example, I dunno lol

Overbrook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen (or found though experience) mounting height suggestions for the Sky? Obviously, this depends on water depth and goals (for me a planned Reefer 425xl and SPS growth). The videos I've seen so far (which I appreciate) look to have mounted them a good 10 or more inches above the water surface. Is there a posted minimum? Thanks!

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it hard to be believe this light wont do very well.
Neptune did their homework studying what design top brands were delivering best results with.

A risky dive would be if they had come out with a "Kessil type" single point of light fixture but even though some have had success with those, the majority or sps refers lean today on larger panels with diffusers.

The integration with the Apex just adds points for those like myself who are already happily invested in that system so yes I see that in my tanks future.

Thing is I'm extremely happy with my spectra and have a few extra radium bulbs to burn for at least 2 years so maybe I'll sit in the back for now and watch this fixture mature and possibly improve for when my time to upgrade comes.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your woes and the pH probe delays, I know we have had a hard time in sourcing different products all through CoVid and this is one of ones that has caused us grief.

In examining the lighting needs for most medium-sized aquariums with refugia, we did not see a cost/benefit to dimming control. Certainly cool, and nice to have, but we decided to keep the price down instead.

The control on the SKY is tilted much more toward ease of use and more specifically ease of being successful. Of course you can tweak channel intensities and all that, but even there we have made it kind of foolproof and limited compared to some solutions that give you the equivalent of a studio soundboard and tell you to go at it. Think of it like your TV where there are different levels of control - pre-curated "looks" such as Vivid, Cinema, Sports, etc. and then there are high level selections like vibrance, brightness, etc. That is what it is like in the SKY. Now think of the "service menu" on your TV, this is what it is like to configure some lights - lots of changes you can make, but you are weary of what the outcome might be. This level of control down to the individual LED is not available - and for 98% of the market will not be missed when they see how easily you can still get a customized look while not killing your corals.
Sounds like a kessil

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy used to run halides, went to 10 black boxes (yes, 10!!) and 3 Radion G4 Pros + T5s and ReefBrites before the Sky.
10 black boxes!!!! On my whole system. I currently have six radions, one black box and three SKY fixtures. Ten fixtures over five tanks.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard you get about a 50% discount in the Neptune NSI.

Marc is an old-school reefer and he tends to stick to his tried and trusted equipment even if they are old.

He was happy with his old skimmer until he got the Nyos to review just like he was happy with his halides until he got a Sky to review.
Marc partly switched because I've been running LED for many years and have been harrassing him for years to make the plunge. As his friend, I can assure you, he isnt asking for stuff for free to review. That's your guess and false.

SilverReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marc partly switched because I've been running LED for many years and have been harrassing him for years to make the plunge. As his friend, I can assure you, he isnt asking for stuff for free to review. That's your guess and false.
Hey Duane start pruning those trees so I can go give more money to Barrier.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great if I could get some LED gear for free to try here and make some nice video about it. LOL! I would be true doing my review though. I don't think many LED companies would trust the performance of their fixtures enough to allow me to analise the results of their products, comparing to what I get out of my halide/T5s here. LOL! Oh well...
I switched from three 400MH/T-5 combo to LED. Didnt slow down growth or color for me. Proof is in the pictures. Do you grow SPS?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love all the arm chair scientists and old men hugging their metal halides....
This is the best comment I've read so far in this thread. I'll try to finish up with the speculation, guessing and LED hate posts tomorrow.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to get 5 free rods per year from G Loomis for their Pro Staff members in Bass Tournaments. Its how promotion works. I never said anything about their rods that wasn't good.

There's a grain to truth here, and bias is real, but it really depends on the person.

I still get Sage, Simms, Rio, and bunch of other gear for fly/spey fishing and guiding at very heavy discounts/at cost. I have a little different take. If was to give a good review to clients of crap gear---how would that benefit me personally? It would not.... My own reputation would suffer. For example, years ago, when I was getting patagoochie waders--their first generation with inside seams (terrible design)--the product failed in a matter of weeks. I was incredibly vocal in criticism to all of my clients and the company. Had to be. Patagonia was not upset and responded immediately. Next generation was much better... People bought the product in part because of the company's willingness to respond to customer desires and reactions. Same thing for Redington on a number of products..

In other words, crap products will get crap reviews from anyone that has been in the business for any substantial length of time. On the other hand, I agree some people will say anything to anyone for the almighty buck... But it becomes pretty obvious who they are and success for them does not follow.

So it really matters who is doing the reviewing....

As to Sky, it's pretty obvious that it's a good light based on reviews from guys you can trust like Melevs. Anyone think otherwise is out to lunch and showing their own bias. It might not be the greatest light, and there likely is nothing revolutionary about it, time will tell, but i don't think all of these beta testing reviewers are jeopardizing their credibility or corals for one light... I think it's best selling points are:

1. Light, quiet, and small form factor (when you toss the tacky label, orange or gray) while delivering good apparent spread and par.
2. Neptune software will be great and user friendly without any question. HUGE selling point.
3. They consulted with people that know better than themselves as to spectrum and LED technology, so it's going to grow coral--probably pretty dang well. As good as a blanket of T5's? Nope. Never. Any LED manufacturer that claims that has wishful thinking and i challenge them to grow the same corals in the same tank with an ATI 8 bulb fixture next to their LED fixture and show the results... Ain't going happen (or is it BRS/Neptune/ANYONE?)-- Bulbs are just a better technology for coral growth. I don't even think its a close call. But these Sky's won't be terribly far off as to coral growth and health and the corals will look better than T5's alone no doubt and twice on Sunday.

So, definitely watching how the sky performs and what direction this company takes in the future as to broad compatibility and full function (with other brands) without use of Apex or other Neptune products. When my T5's are eventually banned, i will need a good LED as more than a supplement!

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see how its bashing to want to see results from someone who paid full price for the product vs someone who got a financial incentive regardless if it was free, a discount or got paid or even someone who felt good knowing they were selected to try it first. I know its for feedback in real world use for the manufacturers

The light may be great, but i dont know how anyone can make a real assessment until they hit the real, real world.

I used to get 5 free rods per year from G Loomis for their Pro Staff members in Bass Tournaments. Its how promotion works. I never said anything about their rods that wasn't good.
I'm not saying those bashing others are the ones asking for numbers and data, I'm talking about the posts that had been trashing products with no basis for so and the people being rude to people for having a difference of opinion. There is no need for that. I don't get how you think otherwise, sorry if something triggered your response, I'm also saying nothing about people who receive free products or are endorsed by companies as I can not prove if people's integrity is compromised just because something was given to them for free. Yes it's fine to be sceptical but that person could equally have positive experiences regarding the products. Regardless of the company providing something I try not to speak of something I have not used or tried myself.

Not trying to have a fight, just don't understand why you think I'm sayin bashing is asking for data? Remember the only people with said lights at the moment are NSI And members of Neptune staff, so the only info is what's released from the company at this early announcement stage, so only data can come from them until it's actually at retail. I just want those who were being rude (whose comments have since been removed by admin) to know it's not right n not supported here to discourage it from continuing.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying those bashing others are the ones asking for numbers and data, I'm talking about the posts that had been trashing products with no basis for so and the people being rude to people for having a difference of opinion. There is no need for that. I don't get how you think otherwise, sorry if something triggered your response, I'm also saying nothing about people who receive free products or are endorsed by companies as I can not prove if people's integrity is compromised just because something was given to them for free. Yes it's fine to be sceptical but that person could equally have positive experiences regarding the products. Regardless of the company providing something I try not to speak of something I have not used or tried myself.

Not trying to have a fight, just don't understand why you think I'm sayin bashing is asking for data? Remember the only people with said lights at the moment are NSI And members of Neptune staff, so the only info is what's released from the company at this early announcement stage, so only data can come from them until it's actually at retail. I just want those who were being rude (whose comments have since been removed by admin) to know it's not right n not supported here to discourage it from continuing.
That was a person that really REALLY likes halides and really REALLY hates everything else and is very confident in his point of view. The merits of lighting methods is a good discussion to have, politely, just not on this thread.

Anyway, if you want some dummy to review the SKY control usability to see if any dummy can do it, I am that dummy. I just don't see myself getting my hands on one of these lights.

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a person that really REALLY likes halides and really REALLY hates everything else and is very confident in his point of view. The merits of lighting methods is a good discussion to have, politely, just not on this thread.

Anyway, if you want some dummy to review the SKY control usability to see if any dummy can do it, I am that dummy. I just don't see myself getting my hands on one of these lights.
Yeah I think it's price may keep many from purchasing, I too would like to try the lights, he'll I'd love to try all but sadly I can not have numerous tanks with varying light sources to see which produce the best results. Halides are certainly great but do also have drawbacks as do LEDs. Totally agree it's not a comparison thread it was an announcement of a product. Love n peace to all ✌️

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want those who were being rude (whose comments have since been removed by admin) to know it's not right n not supported here to discourage it from continuing.
I had comments removed for merely questioning a reviewers failure to disclose receiving something of value from the company whose product is being reviewed. That reviewer will also be selling said product in the future and making a profit. That’s not bashing by me at all. It’s simply due diligence. it’s sad those comments are not allowed here. It’s ironic too because I will likely own a SKY, maybe even purchased through said reviewers website store. The SKY does look really nice. :D

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're all reefers, we should all be supporting each other and celebrating each other's success. Not defending / attacking each other's choice of lighting.

I had a nano tank about 10 years ago and I've always been a computer nerd / tinkerer. I sourced and soldered a few LEDs I thought would be good for my tank and they worked great, but a bad DIY job on my refugium caused me to lose everything while I was at work. The folks over at nano-reef.com were wonderful and supportive of my hair-brained LED job, and I'm just glad this hobby has evolved to the place where I don't have to DIY anything anymore if I don't have to.

Also, I'm excited about these lights and getting my build going.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When one insinuates that a long-term, ethical, helper to reefkeepers has low enough ethics to pitch a product for a company simply because he got it discounted or free, that is bashing. There are many analogies I could bring up. All those whose names you might recognize in the reefkeeping world are part of the NSI just like those that you would not recognize. Everyone gets a benefit for helping us do final tweaks on the product, or even do the hard work (filming, editing, reviewing, etc.) to help tell people about it. No reputable YT or other reefkeeping personality who has the SKY would praise it if they did not like it. Their reputation is far to valuable than any credit they may or may not be receiving. If you trust them. You trust them. Simple as that.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best comment I've read so far in this thread. I'll try to finish up with the speculation, guessing and LED hate posts tomorrow.
Agreed.... It's absolutely hilarious.

All of this turmoil over the release of a new product, that people have the choice to purchase or not.

The upcoming BRS review will provide comparative metrics regarding the practical implication of the light.. Until then... speculate all you want.. Its fun to read. :)

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back