Neptune SKY LED

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I am still waiting for my LFS to get the Sky back in the store to test and tweak my prototype. In the meantime I have been printing a lot of light spill shades for the Radion XR30 and XR15. The Radions are by far the most requested light spill shade to date, but I expect Neptune loyal reefers to request light spill shades as they become more available. I am here to try and help solve some of those issues with my 3D printer. Happy reefing all!
Where can one acquire these shades you speak of?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You had 2 radions, a kessil and led bars on a 36 inch tank? Wow
I did.
Started with 2 xr15. Added an a160 for the slight shimmer.

Upgraded that to an a360x for more coverage and the violet.
Added led bars for coverage in front/ back.

Dropped the 2 xr15 and added a second a360x. I really liked the look, but I did not like the complexity.

So I was either going to go back to Radion (2x XR30) or Sky. Figured I would try the sky and found out 1 was sufficient.

Just my personal journey. Only ~2 yr into the hobby, so it may not have been the most efficient path.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge with the SKY isn’t necessarily whether or not it’s a good light, but whether getting rid of your existing G4/G5 Radions and selling at a loss is worth it to upgrade to a comparable number of SKYs.

If upgrading from the older G3/4s, maybe. But from one or more G5s... well, that’s the $1000 question - as I doubt many owners would want to run a combination of Radions and SKYs or sell their G5s at a loss just to completely replace them with SKYs.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think every light is over priced i think if someone came up with a light like the sky or radion and priced it better every company would have to lower there prices. we have to stop paying these prices for stuff its like corals you get 1" frag hundreds of dollers its just crazy

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge with the SKY isn’t necessarily whether or not it’s a good light, but whether getting rid of your existing G4/G5 Radions and selling at a loss is worth it to upgrade to a comparable number of SKYs.

Anyone running something relatively current be it G5, ATI Straton, or say a Philips Gen 2, would not be the target audience. Let us be honest here. Upgrade path would be G3, maybe G4, MH, Philips Gen 1, and similar grade lights.

Upon upgrading they would look at the G5, gen 2 coral care, straton, SKY, etc. Comparable price and product feature set not to mention par and watts.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

If upgrading from the older G3/4s, maybe. But from one or more G5s... well, that’s the $1000 question - as I doubt many owners would want to run a combination of Radions and SKYs or sell their G5s at a loss just to completely replace them with SKYs.
In addition. To what areefer01 said, it also depends on what is motivating your change.

Let’s say you have a 48” tank with 2 XR30. Once things grow in you start to have shadowing issues. You could buy a 3rd XR30, rotate all of them front to back or add a few led bars. In either case, the change would be more break even or cheaper. It is all about the motivation for the change.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SKY is the first panel style light designed not for the few, but for the many

You should join Neptune's marketing team.... That is a ridiculous statement.... The "many" can afford a $900 light, and what are (dirt cheap) T5 fixtures, AI's, pick your favorite LED bar, or--if cost is apparently not a factor--Radions?

Glad you like the light... Hope you got it for less than $900.00.... Hope the plastic coating isn't sticky in a couple of years as well...

Anyway, anyone thinking about buying a Sky should search youtube videos for Sky teardowns (Reefbuilders, Telegram, and others) and the cost cutting and flaws are detailed... You should look for reviews that actually mention flaws and issues and ignore the videos posted on Neptune's youtube (infomercial) channel.

BRS apparently now is fine with a narrow spectrum in LEDs since acquiring Neptune, which is VERY interesting... (compare BRS lighting showdown videos on youtube and harsh comments about narrow spectrum (needle point spectrum) LEDs with BRS's Sky review and a blatant glossing over of the Sky's narrower (needle point) spectrum:

1630988205820.png

1630987610519.png

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone running something relatively current be it G5, ATI Straton, or say a Philips Gen 2, would not be the target audience. Let us be honest here.
Totally agree.... I just think it would have been more honest of Neptune to have made this clear from the beginning rather than touting how "revolutionary" the Sky was though..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One plus with the Neptune SKY for Apex users has to be the interface - which can be controlled through Fusion. I can’t possibly see how this could be any worse than Mobius, which I’m ready to pitch out the window.

This morning I awoke to find all my Radions off, and was unable to get the schedule in Mobius restarted. The templates wouldn’t reload (despite numerous attempts), the clock was off and I had to restore from a backup. Apparently there’s a software issue with intensity @sunrise where this can get screwed up. I’m still waiting EcoTech support to get back to me...

I’d love to see the SKY in-person, and if it had a tank mounting bracket it would be really tempting at this point to switch.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because as someone who owns and ran an Aqua Control Jr., i have watched Neptune transform from a company that marketed little and accurately, catered to reefers on a budget without proprietary products, at a reasonable price, into an overprice plastic hype factory. The sky is a good example.

Let me know when Neptune posts a par and spread comparison with the G5...
I have to admit I was going to suggest you cool down your tone and language, it seems like you have some real issues with Neptune that range outside of the ‘polite discourse’ and into the unhelpful and mean.

That said, I don’t disagree with the above. I hope BRS purchasing Neptune pushes them back to focus on quality. They’ve been able to charge a premium because of their non EU monopoly. You should see their Australian pricing (and lack of support).

If you look at their auto top off, PMUP, refugium light, auto feeder etc, they have a track record of charging premium prices to be stuck within their ecosystem, it’s the Apple strategy without the Apple quality. I have gone with best of breed in other brands.

In full disclosure - I use the ApexEL for pH, WAV, DOS and Trident so I am potentially considered a little self hating. I do it with some trepidation that I should probably buy a backup of every item ‘just in case’ which I don’t do with any of my Royal Exclusive or even AI/ Ecotech gear (and those aren’t fail proof either).

Part of it is patchy supply and poor support in Australia (I don’t have this issue with the Ecotech/ AI/ Royal Exclusiv, their local distributors do a beyond stunning level of support, literally will just hand me a new box and take the warranty return one with no questions).

I use them because there isn’t a better integrated tool and interface to do it all (and I investigated GHL, eKoral, Hydros). The Trident is truly innovative and for its price point and what it does is pretty dang cool.

If there is one thing to say, the work in this generation on plug and play use ability and ‘tasks’ was a slice of genius for lazy/ time poor reefers who still wants to access the latest in technology/ practices. E.g. recalibrating PH/ changing dosing/ changing reagents is best among its peers.

a little ramble but Neptune is not perfect but it would be a dang sad world if they didn’t exist…

This discussion is about lights - I use Radion G5s on my office tank, they are brilliant but the fans are too loud, I use ATI Stratons on my display and they are hands down the best light I’ve ever used - biggest panel in class, great range of light colour profiles (from euro natural sunlight to deep glow blue), intensity will grow anything to the point I don’t run 100%) passively cooled so no noise, and Apple style design, fit and finish the only downside is supply is terrible for those who want it. It’s weird to be so fan boyish about a light but there you go.

I would consider Sky on a third tank as an experiment, and I can’t say anything about how good it is, but geez I would have to have a back up for it somewhere in the house… Which is probably something Neptune should take on board in terms of engineering obvious and clear reliability (things Eheim/ Tunze/ ATI at famous for).

One odd thing is the SKY is probably going to be much more expensive in Australia than the ATI Straton or G5 XR30 (for example the XR15 is $461 USD, it is about $685 AUD street price, the ATI Straton is $1099 USD, about $1499 AUD. Compare to this (hold on to your pants…) the APEX Wifi is $799USD and in Australia is… $1750 AUD sold out… APEX Trident - $599 USD.. in Australia $1550 AUD. I’m not even joking… Just to put this here if Terence ever sees this..

That’s an average translation to AUD of… 236% of USD pricing. 136% for ATI, 149% for Ecotech…

Last edited:

Brian's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I had seen a post from @Dana Riddle that he got his hands on a Neptune SKY for testing. I'm not going to ditch my Orpheks but I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SKY performs. Being able to control through an Apex is a huge benefit.

Does anyone recall seeing anything about this?
Neptune sky a rebranded zetlight. Overpaying for a brand name that didn't even make this product. It has similar spectrum to most Chinese black boxes

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune sky a rebranded zetlight. Overpaying for a brand name that didn't even make this product. It has similar spectrum to most Chinese black boxes
So I’m guessing you’d rank it below the Radion G5s? What about the Kessil AP9X.

Brian's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m guessing you’d rank it below the Radion G5s? What about the Kessil AP9X.
To be honest I'm a t5 and reefbrite kind of guy. Radions are really good.
I have a bad opinion of Kessel because of their customer service or lack of they at out lied to me over warranty issues with the Kessil 160we.
Kessel does give good shimmer, I hear they give good growth but after Kessel lied to me saying from my pics I sent they cod see a lack of maintenance because of dust and dirt build up...
I never sent them any pics.... big attempt to avoid covering warranty
So I can't give any review of kessil products because I refuse to buy another one

Last edited:

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The "many" can afford a $900 light, and what are (dirt cheap) T5 fixtures, AI's, pick your favorite LED bar, or--if cost is apparently not a factor--Radions?
As we were discussing LED's, my comment pertains to LEDs (also why MH was not mentioned). LED bars are a different class requiring multiple units for coverage. AI is a puck style light. Radion went a step in the panel direction with G5, but the size is not enough to put it in the same category.

1631016648226.png

1631016692541.png
1631016710909.png

Hope you got it for less than $900.00
Nope, list price (Well technically yes... $870). I am not an NSI.

Hope the plastic coating isn't sticky in a couple of years as well
More false speculation that had previously been debunked. I have owned 5+ year old MP40 with the same coating on the dry side. No issue with the coating even after getting water splash several times.

Anyway, anyone thinking about buying a Sky should search youtube videos for Sky teardowns (Reefbuilders, Telegram, and others) and the cost cutting and flaws are detailed... You should look for reviews that actually mention flaws and issues and ignore the videos posted on Neptune's youtube (infomercial) channel.
"Watch the videos with proven false content. But don't watch the videos where Neptune specifically calls out and debunks those claims" I would suggest that anyone interested take in as much information as possible. It is a large investment and a core system for your reef. Watch the videos from Mark Levenson (Melev's Reef), Mr Saltwater, BRS, Neptune, Reefbuilders, telegraham, Reef Automation, Mr. Reef Safe and Fragbox corals. Take in as much information as possible and then decide on your own!

BRS apparently now is fine with a narrow spectrum in LEDs since acquiring Neptune, which is VERY interesting... (compare BRS lighting showdown videos on youtube and harsh comments about narrow spectrum (needle point spectrum) LEDs with BRS's Sky review and a blatant glossing over of the Sky's narrower (needle point) spectrum:
Then continue to watch that video and understand the thought process where they discuss not just the classic T5 Blue plus spectrum, but actual response of zooxanthellae. Personally, this is one of my favorite parts of the light. Rather than having the greenish color which is signature to T5 Blue Plus, it has a more royal blue concentration (similar to what you get when adding Reef Brites). When in White mode, it has more of a violet tint. On the other end of the spectrum, I had concerns that the low amount of red may not bring out the colors in my fish, but my Potter's Angel looks as nice as ever.

These are all great lights. Depending on your goals, specific tank needs and personal preferences, one will be the right thing for you. Important to take in as much info as you can, ask questions from others and enjoy the hobby. Do what makes you happy and share your personal path to success for others to follow.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to admit I was going to suggest you cool down your tone and language, it seems like you have some real issues with Neptune that range outside of the ‘polite discourse’ and into the unhelpful and mean.

That said, I don’t disagree with the above. I hope BRS purchasing Neptune pushes them back to focus on quality. They’ve been able to charge a premium because of their non EU monopoly. You should see their Australian pricing (and lack of support).

If you look at their auto top off, PMUP, refugium light, auto feeder etc, they have a track record of charging premium prices to be stuck within their ecosystem, it’s the Apple strategy without the Apple quality. I have gone with best of breed in other brands.

In full disclosure - I use the ApexEL for pH, WAV, DOS and Trident so I am potentially considered a little self hating. I do it with some trepidation that I should probably buy a backup of every item ‘just in case’ which I don’t do with any of my Royal Exclusive or even AI/ Ecotech gear (and those aren’t fail proof either).

Part of it is patchy supply and poor support in Australia (I don’t have this issue with the Ecotech/ AI/ Royal Exclusiv, their local distributors do a beyond stunning level of support, literally will just hand me a new box and take the warranty return one with no questions).

I use them because there isn’t a better integrated tool and interface to do it all (and I investigated GHL, eKoral, Hydros). The Trident is truly innovative and for its price point and what it does is pretty dang cool.

If there is one thing to say, the work in this generation on plug and play use ability and ‘tasks’ was a slice of genius for lazy/ time poor reefers who still wants to access the latest in technology/ practices. E.g. recalibrating PH/ changing dosing/ changing reagents is best among its peers.

a little ramble but Neptune is not perfect but it would be a dang sad world if they didn’t exist…

This discussion is about lights - I use Radion G5s on my office tank, they are brilliant but the fans are too loud, I use ATI Stratons on my display and they are hands down the best light I’ve ever used - biggest panel in class, great range of light colour profiles (from euro natural sunlight to deep glow blue), intensity will grow anything to the point I don’t run 100%) passively cooled so no noise, and Apple style design, fit and finish the only downside is supply is terrible for those who want it. It’s weird to be so fan boyish about a light but there you go.

I would consider Sky on a third tank as an experiment, and I can’t say anything about how good it is, but geez I would have to have a back up for it somewhere in the house… Which is probably something Neptune should take on board in terms of engineering obvious and clear reliability (things Eheim/ Tunze/ ATI at famous for).

One odd thing is the SKY is probably going to be much more expensive in Australia than the ATI Straton or G5 XR30 (for example the XR15 is $461 USD, it is about $685 AUD street price, the ATI Straton is $1099 USD, about $1499 AUD. Compare to this (hold on to your pants…) the APEX Wifi is $799USD and in Australia is… $1750 AUD sold out… APEX Trident - $599 USD.. in Australia $1550 AUD. I’m not even joking… Just to put this here if Terence ever sees this..

That’s an average translation to AUD of… 236% of USD pricing. 136% for ATI, 149% for Ecotech…
Ouch, those prices are harsh. I wonder what is going on there with the pricing. Ecotech and Neptune have the same origin of goods (US) so the tariff should be similar. Current exchange is 1:1.35. Would love to hear the response from @Terence about the pricing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back