Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get some market data:
1631044927626.png

1 year looks pretty standard.

Here is the statement from the G5 manual. If you do not register within 30 days of purchase, no warranty.
1631045220834.png

I don't agree with any one year warranty on any light. I think it's ridiculous and especially not "revolutionary" as to the Sky....

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
More Warranties:
AI: 1 year
Ecotech: 1 year
Kessil: 2 year
GHL: 2 year
Orphek: 1 year
Neptune: 1 year
Philips: 2 year
ATI: 1 year
Reefi: 3 year
Maxspect: 1 year
Current USA: 1 year
Reef Brite: 1 year
Red Sea: 1 year
Reef Breeders: 2 year
Aquamaxx: 1 year

1 year is the industry standard warranty.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More Warranties:
AI: 1 year
Ecotech: 1 year
Kessil: 2 year
GHL: 2 year
Orphek: 1 year
Neptune: 1 year
Philips: 2 year
ATI: 1 year
Reefi: 3 year
Maxspect: 1 year
Current USA: 1 year
Reef Brite: 1 year
Red Sea: 1 year
Reef Breeders: 2 year
Aquamaxx: 1 year

1 year is the industry standard warranty.
So how is the Sky revolutionary in this regard again? Neptune is the one saying it is best... Not me.

bcarl77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the Sky revolutionary in this regard again? Neptune is the one saying it is best... Not me.
Yeah bud, I think we get that… We are fully aware of what you think of Neptune and how they marketed the light. Think you can give it a break.

Given its been released for a little more than a month can we hear more from a few other folks that actually have the light. How their tank reacted to the new light and their review? Appreciate the few that have chimed in this far!

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The opposite is true. I never heard a claim that the warranty was revolutionary, rather the critiques have been that the warranty is sub par.

Revolutionary products are not always the first to use a specific tech. They are a product that is part of the larger paradigm shift. Like the iPhone, iPod, Tesla and Amazon, rarely are these products the first to feature a specific tech, rather they combine new tech with other development to make it suitable for a more general audience. So what is the “revolution”? I would say moving towards large format lights. This also includes ATI, Philips, GNC, Orphek and the G5. Where is the right balance for the community as a whole for the community that was heading towards primary light fixtures being supplemented by led bars or T5. Ecotech went with a small panel with a lens to distribute the light. ATI and GNC are betting on bigger is better, maximizing the area of emission by the LEDs alone. Orphek using a large array of lensed LEDs designed to hang at higher heights. Neptune and CC, a combination of direct and indirect illumination. Neptune is differentiating with a lightweight design, lower price point (see the actual price of previous large panel lights, not what you feel it should be) and balanced level of control (CC having 1 color setting vs Straton at 7).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warranty aside (1 year seems pretty standard), I’d love to see a G5 and SKY side by side. Two quick question: What is the weight of the SKY and how many Shimz slots are there per light?

The only weight I could find states ~4lbs, which seems heavy as the Radion G5 is 3.5lbs.

Ryan Avery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with Jake on this one, if it was a $600 dollar light it would be an awesome option for a lot of people. If you listen to the interview with reef dudes, Terrance spoke about all the cost cutting that was involved with the sky. Such as not making the boards in house because it’does not make financial sense. Meanwhile charging the same price as top tier lights that do make those things in house such as radion and kessil. Btw I’m an no means a Neptune hater. I love my apex and trident lol

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with Jake on this one, if it was a $600 dollar light it would be an awesome option for a lot of people. If you listen to the interview with reef dudes, Terrance spoke about all the cost cutting that was involved with the sky. Such as not making the boards in house because it’does not make financial sense. Meanwhile charging the same price as top tier lights that do make those things in house such as radion and kessil. Btw I’m an no means a Neptune hater. I love my apex and trident lol

Making the board in-house doesn't matter. You can make things in-house and still have issues. Look at the G5 fan as one example.

If it performs to similarly priced products then who is over priced? Price and quality keep coming up without substance though. Initial quality out of the box experience is better than most. Especially the G5 which is the product constantly mentioned as the best.

BTW didn't take your comment as a dislike of the company. Missed opportunity on price is a interesting debate but that can be a hobby wide issue. Especially when people are blowing 500 or more dollars on a 3/4" frag.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread since it started, and now I'm ready to chime in:
I. Don't. Care.
Honestly. If you love the Sky, great! If you hate it, great! Why does it have to be such an incredible debate? I think it's one thing to dislike something because it has a history of physical failure. It's another thing to just call it overpriced "crap".
I have Radions. I won't be switching them out since I paid a lot of money and they work just fine. If you purchased a Sky and it works just fine for you, then that's a good thing!
I will say this, I feel that much of the gear in our hobby is overpriced. Perhaps we're to blame since we're the ones willing to pay it. I'm not a genius, but if everyone stopped buying Radions, Skys, Kessils, etc., and started using $200 black boxes successfully, then I'd guess that those big names would have to adjust.
At the end of the day, let people use what they want. I have an Apex and some other Neptune products. Some I love, some I don't. But I can say that about any of my gear. I'm not attached to any one company. I try to balance my purchases based on a balance of cost, performance, durability, etc.
Enjoy the hobby. Enjoy your gear. Regardless of which name is on it. :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been following this thread since it started, and now I'm ready to chime in:
I. Don't. Care.
Honestly. If you love the Sky, great! If you hate it, great! Why does it have to be such an incredible debate? I think it's one thing to dislike something because it has a history of physical failure. It's another thing to just call it overpriced "crap".
I have Radions. I won't be switching them out since I paid a lot of money and they work just fine. If you purchased a Sky and it works just fine for you, then that's a good thing!
I will say this, I feel that much of the gear in our hobby is overpriced. Perhaps we're to blame since we're the ones willing to pay it. I'm not a genius, but if everyone stopped buying Radions, Skys, Kessils, etc., and started using $200 black boxes successfully, then I'd guess that those big names would have to adjust.
At the end of the day, let people use what they want. I have an Apex and some other Neptune products. Some I love, some I don't. But I can say that about any of my gear. I'm not attached to any one company. I try to balance my purchases based on a balance of cost, performance, durability, etc.
Enjoy the hobby. Enjoy your gear. Regardless of which name is on it. :)

The sound of reason...

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is the weight of the SKY and how many Shimz slots are there per light?
Weight from the ReefDudes stream:
SKY
Without the cord 4.22 lbs (similar to the cord being attached to something)
with the cord 4.85 lbs (whole cord on the scale)

Radion G5
without cord 3.29 lbs
with the cord 3.62 lbs.

6 shimz. You can see them in this image, 2 in front, 1 on each side, 2 in back
1631148489168.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the additional info. For some reason I had it in my head that the SKY was lighter, but I stand corrected. I’m not sure how well the SKY would work on the RMS tank mounts as the XR30s already sag about 3/8” lower than the XR15 on the same mount.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the additional info. For some reason I had it in my head that the SKY was lighter, but I stand corrected. I’m not sure how well the SKY would work on the RMS tank mounts as the XR30s already sag about 3/8” lower than the XR15 on the same mount.
The XR30 is listed as 4.5lb which would be heavier than the Sky by a few ounces.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Such as not making the boards in house because it’does not make financial sense.
Neptune is located just outside of silicon valley. They use a local partner to do the pcb assembly.

if it was a $600 dollar light it would be an awesome option for a lot of people.
Where specifically does this value come from? I heard it from Reefbuilders, but what is the basis? Not supported in the market data. Price vs Wattage and LED count. Red dot is SKY.
1631153107091.png

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
XR30s already sag about 3/8” lower than the XR15 on the same mount.
I think the sag is a common issue with the RMS mount. I remember once Ecotech was claiming that it was by design so that the light slightly tilts back to reduce glare. When I was using it I put a plastic shim between the clamp and tank to make it level.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where specifically does this value come from?
Wishful thinking. I’m not sure Neptune would even break even @$600... I know people would like to see a $600 premium LED, if only in the vain hope that other manufacturers would follow suit and drop their prices as well. Then they could buy an XR30 for $600...

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back