Neptune Systems Apex JR

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Look: Neptune System's new Apex Jr controller! — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine

Our good friend Len over at Advanced Aquarist just posted a preview of the new unit. It has web based programming so no display and everything is incorporated into one unit. It says you can expand and has the same programming as the Apex. I had an older Lighthouse controller that the led display just died on me and I really want the Apex but don't have the cash for it yet. I'm wondering if this is a viable option for me. I had two questions though:

1) Can I add an Apex display to it?
2) Can I expand/ add-on as much as the Apex?

If the answer is yes then this would work perfectly for me as I could just get the base unit and then add-on as needed and funds were available....:bigsmile:

Maybe Len could chime in if he has any answers..:wink:

CoralBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!, I'm in the same boat, start med school at the end of summer so I definitely want to purchase one before then...

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in the other thread, no reason for anyone not to have a controller now!

CJ

kayl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef builders follow up article said that you could have up to 5 aquabus accessories attached. You are also able to use the unit as a "slave" to a full-fledged Apex controller if/when you upgrade.

I think this would be a great entry level controller or one to have for your frag/QT tank.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this idea of no display to save on costs. They easily compete with other brands out there, especially in the affordable controller market. I will seriously consider getting one (And I've stayed away from controllers all eight years reefing!). I have been waiting on an affordable one that lets you use the internet.. glad its out now! :)

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reason I use the display on mine now (except for the initial setup) is to turn off the pumps for feeding the LPS corals and doing maintenance. It's almost as easy to do that with my Android app.

CJ

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef builders follow up article said that you could have up to 5 aquabus accessories attached. You are also able to use the unit as a "slave" to a full-fledged Apex controller if/when you upgrade.

I think this would be a great entry level controller or one to have for your frag/QT tank.

I was trying to figure out how much expansion I would need. The Apex says "Up to 240 modules, hundreds of probes, and thousands of controlled outlets." but not sure I need that much...lol Just trying to figure out if the 5 is enough on the Jr.

hmmmm decisions, decisions....:squigglemouth:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to figure out how much expansion I would need. The Apex says "Up to 240 modules, hundreds of probes, and thousands of controlled outlets." but not sure I need that much...lol Just trying to figure out if the 5 is enough on the Jr.

hmmmm decisions, decisions....:squigglemouth:

For my reef, including a kalk reactor and a frag tank, I was only using 5 outlets. Keep in mind that if you have Vortechs, you don't need outlets for them at least :)

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my reef, including a kalk reactor and a frag tank, I was only using 5 outlets. Keep in mind that if you have Vortechs, you don't need outlets for them at least :)

The Apex Jr comes with 4 outlets and you can add the modules (aquabus) but I'm not sure how many outlets if any you can add?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex Jr comes with 4 outlets and you can add the modules (aquabus) but I'm not sure how many outlets if any you can add?

The Aquabus expansion should let you add extra outlets I would think. You should be able to add the EB8, or even the older DC8.

I'm curious if the 4 outlets will all be relay outlets, or regular ones, as the EB8 only has 2/8 outlets as relay outlets.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aquabus expansion should let you add extra outlets I would think. You should be able to add the EB8, or even the older DC8.

I'm curious if the 4 outlets will all be relay outlets, or regular ones, as the EB8 only has 2/8 outlets as relay outlets.

ahh I see. I wasn't sure how the EB8 was added; if you needed an aquabus or connected directly and then daisy chained off of each other.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh I see. I wasn't sure how the EB8 was added; if you needed an aquabus or connected directly and then daisy chained off of each other.

Yup exactly. The older AquaJr used switches on the DC8 to change them to like A1-8, B1-8, etc. I think the EB8s do it like 1_1, 2_1, etc. My current EB8 is 1_1 through 1_8, and you can actually name the outlets, give them which little icon you like for it, etc. Its a very cool little device, and I wouldn't run a tank without a controller.

OP
OP
Paul_N

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't run a tank without a controller.

I agree. I was using the older lighthouse which is essentially an ac jr but bigger...lol but i got it for $50 a few years back. My display just went out a month ago. The unit still works but you can't see the menu to do anything.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't the DC4/8 use the phone looking cable too? I know I can plug one into mine, so I assumed that the DC8 should go into this one too, but maybe not directly.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I was using the older lighthouse which is essentially an ac jr but bigger...lol but i got it for $50 a few years back. My display just went out a month ago. The unit still works but you can't see the menu to do anything.

I just remember the relief I got when I moved to a controller. I just remember thinking "wow, why didn't I do this sooner". It really frees up the boring maintenance so you can focus on the more fun maintenance, haha.

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't the DC4/8 use the phone looking cable too? I know I can plug one into mine, so I assumed that the DC8 should go into this one too, but maybe not directly.
Yup, but check the pic again -- it looks like that port that looks like a phone port is labelled as 'Temp' maybe for a simpler type of temperature probe, not the old one with a BNC connector.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back