Nervous about Goby

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I have tried both gobbies & blennies in my 30 AIO tank. My first goby somehow jumped through the screen mesh top of my IM 30 AIO tank... I don't know how but I found him fried on the mesh :( I have tried a lawnmower blenny which I think starved to death? I trained him to eat meaty frozen food in quarantine but he still died...

I am again looking for a substrate cleaner, such as a goby. I am wondering ways to ensure success. I have added an order of pods from algae barn and have fed a decent amount of phytoplankton so I am hoping a pod army exists somewhere in my tank at this point.

I currently have 2 black ocellaris clown fish, an orchid dottyback & two banggai cardinals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When at an LFS, look for one breathing normal. Ask to see it eat and assure no issues on skin
Acclimate well!! Over 2 hrs

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm just nervous it's gonna jump out again. I am thinking of trying just 1) don't wanna lose another fish 2) don't wanna lose 50 bucks
They are escape artists
Place plastic fish bags over any openings

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair in the same tank, the shrimp does a great job of stirring up the sand. IMO captive bred fish jump less than ocean caught fish. Algae Barn has capitve bred YWG

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Only way out is thru the mesh lid and I've lost one or two this way believe it or not.. but I'll try again
Yeah, that’s why I have thin plastic over the top

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that's bad luck!

Plastic wrap is an option. Another option is to place second sheet of mesh diagonally over the first one--if the head of your fish can fit through the holes, the body probably will too. You may also have some small gaps between you lid and tank if you have equipment in it.

Lawnmower blennies eat algae, so meaty foods aren't great for it. You could try another, but be sure to feed to nori/algae based foods.

Unless your tank is very mature, stay away from sand-sifting blennies. They can be very, very hard to train onto frozen/dry foods.

Yellow watchman gobies (as mentioned above) are a great choice and will eat meaty foods

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes, that's bad luck!

Plastic wrap is an option. Another option is to place second sheet of mesh diagonally over the first one--if the head of your fish can fit through the holes, the body probably will too. You may also have some small gaps between you lid and tank if you have equipment in it.

Lawnmower blennies eat algae, so meaty foods aren't great for it. You could try another, but be sure to feed to nori/algae based foods.

Unless your tank is very mature, stay away from sand-sifting blennies. They can be very, very hard to train onto frozen/dry foods.

Yellow watchman gobies (as mentioned above) are a great choice and will eat meaty foods
I really just want something to clean substrate between water changes

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really just want something to clean substrate between water changes
Do you have specific types of algae on your sandbed? Some inverts may be a better choice (like sand burrowing snails or blue-legged hermits).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can you show me a photo ?
1607036672671.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So than you crank lights a little more to penetrate plastic ? Do you replace plastic often ?
I cut the bag at seams so it is one sheet. not double. I changed it monthly or once salt spray is filtering out lights. No real affect on my caorals.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the bag at seams so it is one sheet. not double. I changed it monthly or once salt spray is filtering out lights. No real affect on my caorals.
I may rig something similar up. When I go to LFS I'll look for the calmest goby I can find haha

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a couple of diamond gobies from jumping. So now I have the 1/8th inch clear mesh from brs on my tank. I also put a piece of egg crate inside the tube for the auto feeder. I haven't lost a fish from jumping since.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back