New Build: 125g Mixed Reef

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm Dez. I just found R2R about a month ago and it's great!!! I'm not brand new to aquariums but not as seasoned as many of you. I have done freshwater tanks off and on since I was a kid. When my kids were little we had several tanks, a 60g and a 40g.
More recently, my partner and I got back into it. About 18 months ago, we got a 30g and set it up as a freshwater community tank. Then a year ago we upgraded to a 60g cube for me to have Oscars in and a 125g for a community tank. Four months later, we replaced my cube with a 75g that was easier for me to clean and decided to attempt a FOWLR salt tank in the 60g cube. We set this up using a Fluval Canister. We didn't even get it cycled really and decided the cube was not what we needed. Another upgrade to a 120g tank with 2 canisters under it. The LFS we were going to didn't know a lot about sumps. They are super nice, but more knowledgeable about freshwater. The 120g FOWLR has been up for 8 months now and doing quite well even with the canisters. So then 4 months ago, I changed my 75g freshwater into a mixed reef also using a canister. Although its doing ok, I've decided that a sump is the better option. Now we have gotten rid of the fish in the freshwater 125g and I plan to transfer the reef from the 75g into it, expand, and add a sump.

125g empty ready to start
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

OP
OP
Dizzirn

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've purchased an Eshopp's RS-300 reef sump and a SICCE Syncra Silent 3.5 pump. I plan to purchase the Synergy Shadow overflow box and cut my own holes in the back of the tank for both the overflow and return lines.

I'm open to all comments and hopeful of all advise.

Here is the sump still in the box and a picture of my current 75g tank also.
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

OP
OP
Dizzirn

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think my sump and pump are good choices?

Plan is to have two return lines, one at either end... tank is 6ft long. My partner thinks I might need 4... If I were to do 4, is my pump strong enough for that? Or should I take it back and go with a stronger one?

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The days of running multiple returns are just about done haha. Depending on your budget I'd suggest tunze circulation pumps. Obviously the Vortech pumps are awesome but a cheap one is $200+ also I have used a cheap Chinese Jebao pump and I liked it. It ran well for me and was very powerful for a fraction of the cost of a vortech.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! As you probably know , I run 2 returns for redundancy in case one dies out . If you check my thread there is a diagram of the piping and how I loop the two together so that I can run one or both independently of each other. [emoji4]

OP
OP
Dizzirn

Dizzirn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! As you probably know , I run 2 returns for redundancy in case one dies out . If you check my thread there is a diagram of the piping and how I loop the two together so that I can run one or both independently of each other. [emoji4]

Yes I saw that... interesting thought and great diagram , it was easy to follow [emoji847]

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the RS200 on my 90. Great sump except the return chamber is super tight. I had to purchase my return pump accordingly. I bought the DCS-6000 and another one for a back up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back