New clown taking in food and spitting it out

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081

I’m a worryer so I couldn’t wait and went ahead and fed some mysis.

She still spat some back out but I’m going to take these videos as a good sign!

Since I had communication with @Jay Hemdal and @MnFish1 about this issue I’ll tag them to see as well :)

Sorru about all the posts and questions about these clowns I’ve just had a lot of bad luck and I’m paranoid

The good news is - with your new video (that I can now see) - they look wonderful. Its likely - as others have said - is that its a combination of things - new environment, new food, etc - and a couple days with less food is not going to hurt them.

Lastly - oftentimes - when a fish spits food out - its still getting something 'in'. I would not worry - based on your video - and the food you chose seems appropriate. Best wishes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081

I’m a worryer so I couldn’t wait and went ahead and fed some mysis.

She still spat some back out but I’m going to take these videos as a good sign!

Since I had communication with @Jay Hemdal and @MnFish1 about this issue I’ll tag them to see as well :)

Sorru about all the posts and questions about these clowns I’ve just had a lot of bad luck and I’m paranoid

Sorry I didn't see this until just now. I am going to try to give you some advice - which will be hard to follow. Stop being a worrier. Instead be proactive. If there are problems - act on them.

The reason - IMHO - there are lots of posters worried about xyz - which leads them to make decisions (buying extra equipment, changing 90 percent of the water, etc) - I'm obviously not talking about you. Instead - try to enjoy your tank. Everyone has fish loss - whether they are an expert - or a novice. You will learn with time - which things to be worried about (rapid breathing, mucus excess, lethargy, etc etc etc).

Again I want to repeat - this is not a criticism - just my philosophy on how to handle a tank - I guess the quickest way to say it is 'patience is a virtue'.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is - with your new video (that I can now see) - they look wonderful. Its likely - as others have said - is that its a combination of things - new environment, new food, etc - and a couple days with less food is not going to hurt them.

Lastly - oftentimes - when a fish spits food out - its still getting something 'in'. I would not worry - based on your video - and the food you chose seems appropriate. Best wishes.
Awesome news!

Last orders of business before I call it a day and just stop worrying.

Would you consider this poop normal for a clown that’s only just started eating, or would you be cautious of potential parasites?

Also, is this behaviour (that I rarely see her do) normal, or is she scratching her gills?

75CD77EE-74AF-4326-9298-69675D8FDCFD.jpeg
867E4B12-34CF-4382-AE80-26BEE752C0A6.jpeg
7FE9CE2D-3BC6-484D-A5B8-FC728C5DCAF5.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome news!

Would you consider this poop normal for a clown that’s only just started eating, or would you be cautious of potential parasites?

Also, is this behaviour (that I rarely see her do) normal, or is she scratching her gills?

Ok I'm not a fish psychologist - but I would say its more like - establishing a territory. There is no evidence of flashing - or rapid swimming to suggest an illness. I will say again that is a beautiful fish.

If your fish suddenly starts darting towards the rock and rapidly back - that's more 'scratching' IMHO

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, she is stunning!

I appreciate your help, I only just saw your message about needing to stop worrying and I completely agree! I have anxiety disorder, so everything is a worry LOL. But I will sit back and just enjoy these fish and let them settle in.

Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Awesome news!

Often when clowns eat mysis shrimp and/or brine shrimp, their poop mimics internal parasites
Clown would have a pinched stomache or no appetite if that were the case. Enjoy your fish, and allow them to adjust to new surroundings

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why might she be moving her fins like she’s having a seizure? Not a dominance display, since the other has submitted already and they’re paired

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like this at the end of the video, but sometimes with both fins

Many people that use this site - cannot see the video (myself included) - the best way to post a video - is through YouTube. BUT - I'm picturing what you're describing - and it sounds like a gill issue of some kind - OR - perhaps breeding-type display. Without seeing it - IDK

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people that use this site - cannot see the video (myself included) - the best way to post a video - is through YouTube. BUT - I'm picturing what you're describing - and it sounds like a gill issue of some kind - OR - perhaps breeding-type display. Without seeing it - IDK
Sometimes one fin, sometimes both fins

at the end of the video, left side fin

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like this at the end of the video, but sometimes with both fins

Appears quite normal. There is alot of bubbles from wand and movement within tank.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears quite normal. There is alot of bubbles from wand and movement within tank.
Yeah I have the filter in this QT just above the surface to keep the surface agitation up - side effect is a lot of bubbles. Bubbles aren’t affecting anything, are they? Can’t imagine they would I’ll just end up with salt creep

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I have the filter in this QT just above the surface to keep the surface agitation up - side effect is a lot of bubbles. Bubbles aren’t affecting anything, are they? Can’t imagine they would I’ll just end up with salt creep
They are not affecting anything - except increasing oxygen. BTW - are there any medications in this tank?

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not affecting anything - except increasing oxygen. BTW - are there any medications in this tank?
Yes I’m running the anti parasite I posted about for the duration it tells me to run for “preventative measures” of 12 days. Plan is to do a 30% water change each day for 3 days after the 12 days to eventually end up with clean water again.

Are you thinking it could be causing irritation?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I’m running the anti parasite I posted about for the duration it tells me to run for “preventative measures” of 12 days. Plan is to do a 30% water change each day for 3 days after the 12 days to eventually end up with clean water again.

Are you thinking it could be causing irritation?
No - I was just wondering.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back