new clownfish looking bad, freaking out.

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help/advice/anything

Yesterday I got a pair of Bullet Hole Oscellaris Clownfish from local LFS. 1 of them (smaller of the two) seems to be just fine, the other one is looking quite bad - lying on it side, heavily breathing, looking pale.

This morning I saw the fish and it looked really bad, I did another water change, ran to Petco and dumped some tetra bacteria along with some Imaginarium ammonia remover. A few hours later I was able to scoop the fish by hand and I put him in a bucket of new saltwater with an air stone. He appeared to get a bit better, and then I drip acclimated tank water into the bucket for a few hours. I put him back in the tank (since it's temp regulated and the bucket is not) and he immediately looked bad again. I scooped him up again and put him in another bucket of new saltwater with an airstone after another 5-minute (second in 24hrs) freshwater dip -- nothing fell off and I used a black bowl to be certain.

Pics:

When I got him yesterday (bigger one on the right):
Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 6.49.12 PM.png

Within last hour (about 30 hours since above pic):
Screen Shot 2018-07-07 at 10.48.38 PM.png

Vid during freshwater dip about an hour ago that shows heavy breathing and better color:
https://gfycat.com/PinkHighlevelFieldspaniel

Notes:

process when I got the fish:
Yesterday, I did a water change and added the 2 fish after a 5-minute freshwater dip and a temp acclimation along with about 2 hours of periodically adding some tank water into the floating bag. No water appeared to get in the tank at any point.

LFS:
I know the LFS (in miami) didn't have this guy for long. I was there a few days prior scouting and this was a whole new batch of fish.

just completed the cycle, maybe?

I thought I completed the cycle but maybe I didn't? It's been about 40 days since I added water (50 pounds of dry reefsaver rock and a bunch of marine pure blocks) along with a bottle of bio spira and did light ghost feeding through the last month. Algae started growing in my sump (kept the display covered during the whole thing) and seemed like I was through. I feel like such a jerk for getting impatient - was getting pressure from the family to get fish already and knowing it cost this little guy really really sucks.

Levels:
Ammonia appears to be 0 or maybe .1. Using API kit, its definitely yellow but has tints of greenish.
Nitrites/Nitrates seem to be 0 (also API)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that he gets better in the bucket with new water suggests there might be ammonia present in the tank.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recheck ammonia levels and make sure you have adequate aeration in the tank.

Good luck

OP
OP
Bob2bob

Bob2bob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

sorry for the slow update. The clownfish sadly died by the time I woke up next morning and I was too upset to get back to this till now.

I really appreciate the feedback that was given to me and the time you guys took out of your days to help a fellow out. I'm still unclear what the issue was. I don't think it was Brook based on their not really being much slime on the little one. I'm also not sure that it was an ammonia issue because the other clownfish (smaller of the two) is still alive, kicking, and seemingly thriving. Is it possible to have an ammonia issue that only affects one of the two fish? I've kept a check on it and am reading 0 but still don't have better test kits and the three stores in the Miami area I've been to also use API...I've done a few water changes in the last week just to be safe.

I did add a double air stone to the tank the day I started to see the issues so perhaps it was an oxygen issue and the one was to far gone but it saved the other one. I know the store I got him on has super quick turnover and maybe it was just a lot of stress over a two day period to go from breeder -> store -> my tank. It might have been a combo of these plus some ammonia in the tank too plus something else that no one has mentioned as well.

I've held off on getting another buddy for the one left over and will continue to wait for a few weeks more to make sure the tank is certainly stable before doing so. Slightly worried that will lead to some aggression over territory but will get an acclimation box to hopefully curtail that when i do.

The LFS we got them at gave us credit for the fish which is nice but it was more about the loss than the cash. Unless they let me buy fish in store and then are ok holding them for a week so I know they aren't being too stressed out in the future I don't think I'll be buying fish from there again.

Anyways thanks again for taking the time to give your advice and feedback. I really do appreciate it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back