New from Cincinnati

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I am born and raised in Ohio but have now migrated across the bridge to Northern KY. It looks like I might be a short drive around I-275 from you. Let me know if I can help.

OP
OP
itsdRu

itsdRu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! Here’s an update..

i test the levels while I’m breaking in new equipment every two days. Here’s the levels. What would you advise that I add to the water? BTW the water is two huge containers I purchased at a fish store near me of real salt water!

3BAD3864-CFF1-4FD3-AA68-870059AA9D22.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I’m new from Cincinnati Ohio I have a fluval 13 1/2 gallon saltwater tank with a CoraLife surface skimmer and protein skimmer built-in. I really need some help here I’m trying to get everything correct in the water before I add any livestock including coral can you please view the pictures and tell me if that color algae is good algae to grow in the tank thank you

ABD378EF-6B8B-491A-A80F-D0BD4523A332.jpeg CA043973-A7ED-430F-8938-BA6307BD36D9.jpeg 7B2B7054-2F52-437B-8397-65BF678BB7F9.jpeg
Where did you get those rocks and what are they made of?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got them at a local fish store in the salt water tank isle
Big box store?

The reason that I am asking is that those don't look like they are salt water safe, meaning depending on what they are they could be leaching things into your tank that you don't want.

Long ago I set up a freshwater planted tank with the help of my buddy. I put some bricks in the tank that I thought were kewl. Needless to say I started having algae problems. My friend laughed at me and told me to get them out. Sure enough algae went away after I removed them.

The lesson is that you have to be careful the type of rocks that you put in your aquarium. :)

OP
OP
itsdRu

itsdRu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big box store?

The reason that I am asking is that those don't look like they are salt water safe, meaning depending on what they are they could be leaching things into your tank that you don't want.

Long ago I set up a freshwater planted tank with the help of my buddy. I put some bricks in the tank that I thought were kewl. Needless to say I started having algae problems. My friend laughed at me and told me to get them out. Sure enough algae went away after I removed them.

The lesson is that you have to be careful the type of rocks that you put in your aquarium. :)
The store is called Planet Pet in Lawrenceburg IN

purchased them AND THE WHITE BAG OF SAND AND BLACK SAND ( is that safe?) all at that store named above

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store is called Planet Pet in Lawrenceburg IN

purchased them AND THE WHITE BAG OF SAND AND BLACK SAND ( is that safe?) all at that store named above
Hmmmm ...
Do you have the brands on the sand? The black sand people have had problems with it leaching iron. The white sand if it is silicate isn't helping with buffering your tank, though other than that it is inert. Better to use a calcium carbonate based sand.

I really think those rocks should go though, I know that type of rock and they usually use it for cichlid tanks to buffer the ph, but I am pretty sure it leaches minerals into the tank. I am not sure exactly but it is usually iron.

I noticed on this thread there are several people from your area. Reach out to them to find a good salt water store in your area. Having a access to a good LFS (and their stuff not necessarily their advice) makes all the difference in the world.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree on the rocks, look too dense to be saltwater useable :(

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you may be ok with the sand,i'm a bare bottom guy,let's see what others say :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No ,too late now thinking the sand is starting to establish,would just change the rocks out,preferabally w live rock

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't want to tell you to change the sand because that would be a huge pain in the **** ... but
... 100% acrylic colorfast coating
This isn't good. At least the black sand won't leach ... ??? Right away. I would pull these sands.

You have biology in the sand, so I would keep a cup of it in the bottom of the tank if you decide you want to change the sand. That way the new sand will have something to seed it, and you can pull the cup of old sand out when the new sand is fully seeded.

If you do get new sand make sure that it is calcium carbonate based. CaribSea is usually the go to for sand for salt water tanks. They also make a 'live' version. This might be appropriate for what you are doing.

Sorry about all of this, but these kinds of things cause all kinds of problems in the long run with tanks often times leaving people scratching their heads as to why things are going south.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back