New Gyre knock off

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a pump just put it in the tank and use it when it breaks buy another one, when that one breaks buy and another one........................

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone said this about the original WP series and there are tanks with those in them now(most people just upgraded to the RW because they can afford to). Just cause it's Chinese doesn't mean it's complete garbage and even if it does break down I have the supplier down the block from me who replaces piece(does the same with all other jebao products)
Believe me I'll be okay lol
I'll write back in a week a month and three months.

It's not the point here if they better or stronger or whatever................. the chinaman stole a complete design and ignored a patent law.
Besides they are not UL coded and that should in this hobby raise a red flag, and I'm not sure if it's printed on there but if it is that would be illegal.
Again the pump might be working great and ppl will buy it but is it the right thing to do?
That said, I'm 97% sure ppl don't agree or like that statement but I'm 100% sure I don't care!!

I know if I start a wholesale company and one of my DBA's will be named Exotics Oceanlive and sell corals wholesale for a lot cheaper than a similar company with almost the same name................ I bet employees or staff will cry a big river too o_O

Last edited:

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why it took so long for Jecod to copy the Maxspect design? If it was a straight copy I would have expected them on the market much quicker.

I have two gyre's and while I've had issues, maxspect has worked with me on them. I do have a few wp's and a one rw. Jebao's do not last in my experience.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not a big thing on the difference in Money, specially, when the Gyre from CoralVue, has support and warranty for everything they sale.
Personally I wont take the risk of burning my house or everything on my tank for $40.00
I did use the Jebao's wave makers and for $60.00 I got amazing flow for 3 months, than it loose 50% of the power, a year later it burn my DA controler and almost my house, not sure if those $60.00 were really worth the hassle.
Now I have 2 Maxspect Gyres, best investment ever
Such a bad mouth. Where is the proof to support your facts that jebao products burn house and tanks?
Yes their product is not as great but for 1/2 or 1/4 the price of the US made products. Its worth to buy sometimes. I am doing reef as a hobby and the hobby is expensive.
I always look for any other means to keep the expenses down.
If you can afford to buy Maxspect or Ecotech that is great for you. If i can afford i would buy them too.
I use jebao rw series model and before that i had the wp model powerheads. They are not that great compare to ecotech MP10/40 but for $60 as oppose to the MP40 for $450 (what i paid for in 2013)
Just supply and demand law

Last edited:

Clayalaleona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the thing is in the tank.
No oil slick for me, although it was kind of "moist" out of the box. Even the papers seemed to have gotten some moisture on them. Did a mild vinegar bath on it for the sake of being careful.... I'm sure the boxes just got rained on or something in transport.
Its pretty decent. The controller lets you do several things(change between 4 different types of waves, reverse flow, control the speed).
I'll be breaking it apart later on today and look at the insides
I know for a fact another one from this batch is making horrendous sounds already.
I will say that it is incredibly strong, I had three pumps on my system and this one set at "one dot" does the work of all of them.
It is a little worrying that throughout their instruction manual it mentions house fires so much lol.
Picking up a Gyre on Monday.
We'll see if I survive the weekend.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the thing is in the tank.
No oil slick for me, although it was kind of "moist" out of the box. Even the papers seemed to have gotten some moisture on them. Did a mild vinegar bath on it for the sake of being careful.... I'm sure the boxes just got rained on or something in transport.
Its pretty decent. The controller lets you do several things(change between 4 different types of waves, reverse flow, control the speed).
I'll be breaking it apart later on today and look at the insides
I know for a fact another one from this batch is making horrendous sounds already.
I will say that it is incredibly strong, I had three pumps on my system and this one set at "one dot" does the work of all of them.
It is a little worrying that throughout their instruction manual it mentions house fires so much lol.
Picking up a Gyre on Monday.
We'll see if I survive the weekend.
Have you taken a gyre apart to be able to compare the guts??

wigwam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you keep saying it is only $40 cheaper. My LFS is selling the jebaos for $130 the Maxspect is $280. That is $150 and more them half off.

As for your remark that people who buy Jebao will never buy high end stuff. I have a beautiful house off the water in a great area and a nice BMW x6 and Infiniti qx60. There is also a nice boat in my yard with a pair of jetskis. The reason I can afford this stuff is because I don't waste money on powerheads for my aquarium.

Save your $40.

millertyler22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is ridiculous. It's like buying a Base model Kia or buying a bmw or what ever u want lol there both cars they both drive down the same roads one company has better track record but at the end of the day anytime a new car manufacture comes out with something new the other follow suit very quickly
So u pay for what u get I don't see the point of attacking people who want to save a few bucks
A 100 dollar to me may be a lot of money but it may be penny's to u
We live in a capitalistic world which gives the consumer the right to choose what they want to spend there money on

This hobby is fairly small why would we attack people who are going the "cheap route"

Techbiker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is ridiculous. It's like buying a Base model Kia or buying a bmw or what ever u want lol there both cars they both drive down the same roads one company has better track record but at the end of the day anytime a new car manufacture comes out with something new the other follow suit very quickly
So u pay for what u get I don't see the point of attacking people who want to save a few bucks
A 100 dollar to me may be a lot of money but it may be penny's to u
We live in a capitalistic world which gives the consumer the right to choose what they want to spend there money on

This hobby is fairly small why would we attack people who are going the "cheap route"
I have to Agree on this one, could not say it more clear You get what you pay for, in other words, you get what you can afford!

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except it's not like that at all. That would be a good comparison if Kia went and copied a bmw piece by piece.. Called it a "more better" car and sold it for half the price.

millertyler22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except it's not like that at all. That would be a good comparison if Kia went and copied a bmw piece by piece.. Called it a "more better" car and sold it for half the price.
I'm not here to argue it's just my point of view

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, and I don't see it as an "argument".. Your POV or my POV.. It just is what it is.. They either stole the patent or they didn't. It just boils down to what you'll support or not I guess.

I'm just in shock to how many here won't defend the sponsors that pay up for us when their product is stolen.

To each his own I guess.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, not wanting to read through it.

I got the CP25. It was a bit low-power. I believe they might have extended 0-100% to 0-120% to advertise the 'you can overclock the speed' thing...
Otherwise it's awesome. The programmable side of it is somewhat tedious. I did have a few times where I was updating programming on it, and some sort of bug with the sending happened, then I had to reset the pump. So obviously they still have kinks to work out with the programming. Unless it was the older version of android I was using..

But it was still pretty awesome for the price imo. And overall I can see they would qualify for a new patent because there was a few changes to the design from maxspect that would make it an improved version, thus a different one.

So I expect maxspect to be making changes to their design. Jebao did it right.

I suspect though, like the gyre I had, both will probably still have the ever annoying 'gums up and stops' issue after time.
I personally went back to my mp10's because the cp25 was just a tad too little flow in a 40 breeder with a mountain of rocks in the center of the tank. It was plenty sufficient if I had set it up first, but I'm not rearranging my rocks and corals in placement that would work.

Going to wait to go the gyre route until I get the cp40 or the companies come out with a new internal cage design to avoid the gumming up. (I thought about cutting every other fin on the roller cage to see how that worked)

Live Water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as people continue to buy them, they will continue to make and steal designs. As a reefing community we should just not buy them.

Just bought the new 250s these guys are stifling innovation. I won't buy knock offs of anything. (If I can avoid it)

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back