New hammer!

66cts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scored a beautiful hammer!

I went to my local LFS and they had a bunch of hammers for only $45. I've always loved the look of them, so I asked to put one on hold until I could check all my parameters. It ended up taking me two weeks to get everything in-line and I got to pick up my hammer today!

Any tips or recommendations on how to care for a hammer, feeding? Light? Flow?

264754C9-D6B2-471C-8288-924E93355D67.jpeg 55BD9D76-2AFB-4CE6-982A-951682494D7E.jpeg

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my hammers in medium light and medium flow. I like just enough flow that they gently sway. When first adding them to a tank it's usually a good idea to start them off with low light and move them up to acclimate them to your light (although I do this for all corals not just hammers)

I don't often target feed my lps corals but I will occasionally feed some thawed mysis to them.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already mentioned, medium light and flow, but start them out on the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up to where you intend to mount it (a magnetic frag rack that you can move up and down will help with this). Also, how old is your tank and what are your parameters (just asking since you said you needed to get your parameters in check). I have noticed that Fimbriaphyllia (hammers and frogspawn are no longer classified as Euphyllia) like slightly elevated magnesium levels, like 1400-1500, but it’s not necessary to keep them happy. You can spot feed it some brine or mysis occasionally but it isn’t necessary. Otherwise, looks happy and healthy, congrats on your first coral!

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice I too also picked up a new one 20% off so was rude not to. Love how much they expand trying to cover the bottom half of my rockwork. Mine have been fine in the low light around 100 PAR but do suffer when in a shaded area. Need more light spread to help with some rockwork overhang

OP
OP
66cts

66cts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already mentioned, medium light and flow, but start them out on the bottom of the tank and slowly move them up to where you intend to mount it (a magnetic frag rack that you can move up and down will help with this). Also, how old is your tank and what are your parameters (just asking since you said you needed to get your parameters in check). I have noticed that Fimbriaphyllia (hammers and frogspawn are no longer classified as Euphyllia) like slightly elevated magnesium levels, like 1400-1500, but it’s not necessary to keep them happy. You can spot feed it some brine or mysis occasionally but it isn’t necessary. Otherwise, looks happy and healthy, congrats on your first coral!
The tank was set up early January of this year!

78F
dKH 10
pH 8.2
Salinity 1.025

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back