New House and New 300 Gallon reef tank build w/ fish room

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks! Yeah, would love to get your thoughts.

Apex is really pretty easy to set up. Hardest part is cable management if you are trying to put everything in runways & mounted.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost feeling better, thanks and i plan on starting the apex up tonight as i need to do testing anyway...never had a sinus infection get to the point where it knocks the crap out of me with severe chest pain and aches. well after a regiment of steroids and anti-biotics and turning the corner.

cant wait to finish the wiring and some plumbing odds and ends

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are some pics..

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5257.jpg

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please dont judge me on wiring, it is a mess, i mean a real mess but i am getting everything up and running and wired then i will figure out a way to hide them all. i am finding all kinds of little things i did not think of when ordering supplies, who knew....

anyway really coming along and apex is up and running but only the major items are properly setup and i need to get some heavy duty smaller extension cords so i dont have 400' of extra wire to strap up...

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please dont judge me on wiring, it is a mess, i mean a real mess but i am getting everything up and running and wired then i will figure out a way to hide them all. i am finding all kinds of little things i did not think of when ordering supplies, who knew....

anyway really coming along and apex is up and running but only the major items are properly setup and i need to get some heavy duty smaller extension cords so i dont have 400' of extra wire to strap up...

The tank is looking great! That’s how I felt, every time I looked I was ordering something little from somewhere.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, it is most definitely a work in progress...

Apex is going well, most things are running through it but now i really need to learn some programming and find the time to do it so i can build the redundancy and automation. i think i am going to use that brs video on ULM to start the process, any additional ideas ?

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who knew that i had to do power management on the eb8 ? my 2 heaters were triggering the apex alarm so i needed to move one to the other eb8, not sure on what the wattage is but is anyone else having this type of an issue?

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't experienced that issue, but I have heaters on separate EB8's......more because of the distance to the tanks they're in, not for any other reason.

Is it possible the amperage is too much - what type of heaters? what current do they pull? Do the Apex logs show any useful information?

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't experienced that issue, but I have heaters on separate EB8's......more because of the distance to the tanks they're in, not for any other reason.

Is it possible the amperage is too much - what type of heaters? what current do they pull? Do the Apex logs show any useful information?
no info on logs but since i switched it to my other eb8 i have had no issues..yet
going to get my next round of fish and qt tank is emptied, cleaned and refilled.
question: do i need to empty clean and refill qt tank after each batch of new fish?

MarineMalecki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear moving it to the other EB8 rectified the problem for now - fingers crossed you don't have any more issues!

I haven't done a QT before so I'm not sure of the best practice for multiple rounds of fish......

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who knew that i had to do power management on the eb8 ? my 2 heaters were triggering the apex alarm so i needed to move one to the other eb8, not sure on what the wattage is but is anyone else having this type of an issue?

I have 2 1000W heaters on my tank and they are on separate circuits in the fish room. Both going on at once would definitely push a normal 15A circuit to the limit, which I'm guessing is the limit of the eb8's.

AKReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no info on logs but since i switched it to my other eb8 i have had no issues..yet
going to get my next round of fish and qt tank is emptied, cleaned and refilled.
question: do i need to empty clean and refill qt tank after each batch of new fish?

I think best practice is clean the QT tank. What I've been doing is emptying the tanks, refilling with tap water and running some bleach through the system overnight. Probably overkill though.

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that turned out really well. Nice and clean with all the wiring. Looks like the clowns need some company! Great job!

Thanks, I am not done yet and the last thing I will do is hide all the remaining wires as that is driving me nuts(maybe a little OCD)

Still dialing in the flow with the two returns and I had lighting too high too long and started getting spots (I assume it was lights as I have all 0’s in tests) so working all those kinks out

Still need to plumb the uv and add the auto feeders and some other miscellaneous items.

2nd wave of fish are in qt getting ready to join the clowns(yellow tang, 4 cardinal, 1 lawn mower blenny)

Once they are in I expect to add a couple more and some corals but I think I need a par meter as I’m not sure what my lights need to be at.

I will post some more pics tonight

OP
OP
scott11106

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! This is looking really great!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long do you quarantine for?
I had the first two in the QT just under 4 weeks, the new ones have been in QT for a week now and will get one more medication next week and since the LFS had them for a long while holding for me i may not QT them as long if they look good, but we will see. the standard i QT for is 4 weeks.

PatrickM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the first two in the QT just under 4 weeks, the new ones have been in QT for a week now and will get one more medication next week and since the LFS had them for a long while holding for me i may not QT them as long if they look good, but we will see. the standard i QT for is 4 weeks.

Thanks! My LFS always dates the arrival of their fish and what they are eating so I never really worried about setting up a quarantine. I realized I have been pushing my luck so I set one up with my tank build.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks awesome, where did you the containers and stand for containers from?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back