687073002706.jpg

71dFDuTxWHL._SL1500_.jpg

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard reports that the new bayer is a NOT the same product and is no longer a good option.. It kills corals i was told? Anyone else hear this.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't heard that. I checked the ingredients on the label and they are the same. I've been using it without issue.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer just got fined $289 mil in a roundup weed killer case. I’m sure they’re mixing things up.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dipped 4 acan and 3 hammers from a tank being broken down for flatworms in the new bayer. They then got redipped again yesterday to make sure nothing was left behind, and not a thing on them. All corals are doing well after dips in my coral qt tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that they wanted to distance their pharmaceutical name from their agricultural products.
Must be. It’s a big company and I’m sure they’ve got all bases covered so this is their version of a covert operation.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in the landscape industry.... working with bayer, monsanto, and roundup and many other names almost on a daily. Holding a QAL(qualified applicators license) in California, i can tell you this state is one of the strictest state when it comes to pesticides and make some pretty wild decision based on interesting and questionable "facts". More like decisions based on feelings not so much fact(haha).

From what i hear i don't see how Monsantos or the Roundup names can last much longer with all the law suits. It is only smart to change things up for them. Roundup is a great product i have used and will continue to use, no need to bash me I've heard it all already. Remember i live in CA. But these law suits are sad a situation of people dying of cancer(truely feel bad for any of these people) and looking for answers(or for some a handout)but to drag a product like Roundup that has been used for 30+ years and one of the most tested products world wide and drag its name through the mud is also sad.. With 13,000 more lawsuits to come change will happen but remember these are judgments by a jury of peers not any science or fact changing. People feeling sorry for people and knowing Bayer and Scotts have lots of money...

As far as your "complete insect killer" the biggest thing to look at is the active ingredients(and its % of)and see if those or any other material changed. Doubtful they have but, Imidacloprid(active in this product) is a widely used insecticide in many industries that works great but also should be used with caution as it can be persistent in the environment and also effect(kill) beneficial insects like bees and ladybugs. Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard (and again not from any sources that I can verify as particularly knowledgeable about the product, but just from posts here and on other forums) the reason Bayer's is so gentle on corals is that it is a nicotine based product. Nicotine works on the nervous system of organism such as agricultural pests and bugs. Also most of the pests that we encounter in our tanks have nervous systems making it very effective against them. Corals do have nervous systems so they are unaffected. Again, just something I have read.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard (and again not from any sources that I can verify as particularly knowledgeable about the product, but just from posts here and on other forums) the reason Bayer's is so gentle on corals is that it is a nicotine based product. Nicotine works on the nervous system of organism such as agricultural pests and bugs. Also most of the pests that we encounter in our tanks have nervous systems making it very effective against them. Corals do have nervous systems so they are unaffected. Again, just something I have read.
I have used it for years and for me, it works. Bugs die and corals live. As for disposal, I take the dip mix and usually find an anthill to put it on. Either way, it needs to be used responsibly, as any chemical does and it needs to be disposed of correctly.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after several years off. How do you use this as a dip? I'm assuming you dilute it tank water?

I have seen several recommendations about mixing it with tank water. These recommendations varied widely depending who was posting them. I don't even measure any more. I get a plastic "shoebox" of tank water about half full and pour a little Bayer's in until it's pretty well milked up.

OP
OP
H@rry

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, from my experience thin branching acros such as Hawkins and Red Dragon quite often die after being dipped in products like CoralRX or iodine based products. Never had a problem dipping them in Bayer's.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen several recommendations about mixing it with tank water. These recommendations varied widely depending who was posting them. I don't even measure any more. I get a plastic "shoebox" of tank water about half full and pour a little Bayer's in until it's pretty well milked up.
Same here. The big thing with LPS and Sofites is to make sure and let them site in fresh tank water for 15 minutes or so after the dip and then I do that again with more tank water for them. Makes sure they did not "Drink" any and if they did, they have time to expel it. Final step is to rinse them in a fresh tub of tank water.

For acros, I soak, then clean soak, then rinse.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back