New Nano Build

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I am all moved into my new place and i am reallllllly feening to build another tank... im going to go with a small all in one nano tank for this build nothing to crazy... I have been out of the game for a while and im not sure what new products are out there. Any suggestions on a good all in one nano tank?... im going to buy my own light for sure and return pump. I was looking at the new Waterbox tanks... any other nanos that compete with this tank or better? Thanks everyone! so excited to get back into the hobby!!!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome back to the hobby...following along
I cant wait to get started but all i want is a tiny little nano .. I am an advanced reefer so I would want better custom equipment (return pump, skimmer, LED ) than what the AIO waterbox comes with but i like that style of tank with the built in overflow.. any suggestions ?

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting up a water box 10 build. Follow along on my build thread contributor link next to my profile name.

Some complaints I've read about the water boxes is that the filter sock set up and stock return pump is super noisy. I upgraded to an intank media basket for chamber 1 and also upgraded to the sicce .5 silent return pump and have no complaints

I did order an intank basket for chamber 2 but it did not fit due to the cube 10 that i recieved must be an updated revision with extra glass baffles to make a bubble trap. The intank basket was almost an inch too big. Amazons description did not mention that but intanks website product description does =/

Comes with sponges and bio balls which are garbage. Recommend to upgrade to marine pure and filter floss etc.

I am not a huge fan of smoked glass for the aio design only for cosmetics of being able to see shapes and stuff through it. The back portion of the aio is wrapped in black vinyl and can easily be removed if you choose to run. A refugium in chamber 2 with a light. That is also why intank made their products in a solid black color to help camouflage everything in there.

The stock return pump nozzle in the DT portion seems to be too short and allows a whirlpool effect on the surface to suck in a large bubble every once in a awhile and make a noise as it surfaces. Not sure if it's due to the upgraded GPH with the sicce pump/water level or just purely by poor design. I did order a few extra line loc pieces to extend that nozzle further down in the water to avoid the whirlpool effect.

Other than that I have no major complaints so far. Deffinetly happy with my purchase. Follow my thread as I mentioned to see how things develop when I start to stock soon.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting up a water box 10 build. Follow along on my build thread contributor link next to my profile name.

Some complaints I've read about the water boxes is that the filter sock set up and stock return pump is super noisy. I upgraded to an intank media basket for chamber 1 and also upgraded to the sicce .5 silent return pump and have no complaints

I did order an intank basket for chamber 2 but it did not fit due to the cube 10 that i recieved must be an updated revision with extra glass baffles to make a bubble trap. The intank basket was almost an inch too big. Amazons description did not mention that but intanks website product description does =/

Comes with sponges and bio balls which are garbage. Recommend to upgrade to marine pure and filter floss etc.

I am not a huge fan of smoked glass for the aio design only for cosmetics of being able to see shapes and stuff through it. The back portion of the aio is wrapped in black vinyl and can easily be removed if you choose to run. A refugium in chamber 2 with a light. That is also why intank made their products in a solid black color to help camouflage everything in there.

The stock return pump nozzle in the DT portion seems to be too short and allows a whirlpool effect on the surface to suck in a large bubble every once in a awhile and make a noise as it surfaces. Not sure if it's due to the upgraded GPH with the sicce pump/water level or just purely by poor design. I did order a few extra line loc pieces to extend that nozzle further down in the water to avoid the whirlpool effect.

Other than that I have no major complaints so far. Deffinetly happy with my purchase. Follow my thread as I mentioned to see how things develop when I start to stock soon.
Thanks for that ! i am thinking about the new waterbox peninsula 15 gallon... the sicce .5 will be enough for that ? what skimmer are you using ? and what does the intank basket do ? I am an advanced reefer but i am new to nanos trying to find the best equipment to upgrade all the parts

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that ! i am thinking about the new waterbox peninsula 15 gallon... the sicce .5 will be enough for that ? what skimmer are you using ? and what does the intank basket do ? I am an advanced reefer but i am new to nanos trying to find the best equipment to upgrade all the parts
You'll have to do some research and see how many GPH the stock pump is for the 15 peninsula and compare to the sicce .5 which is rated at 185GPH. The stock pump for the cube 10 was like 125 or 135 if I remember correctly. Dont quote me. I will not be using a skimmer for now and just relying on a refugium in chamber 2 and weekly water changes.

The intank media baskets replace the stock filter sock setup. Google or amazon intank media basket for waterbox and you'll see how it works. Allows you to use filter floss and multiple internal chambers for other media.

As you also know, nanos can be difficult and while expensive equipment and upgrades do help, it is possible to have a thriving reef tank with out having to upgrade everything or run fancy skimmers and reactors, dosers, controllers etc.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to do some research and see how many GPH the stock pump is for the 15 peninsula and compare to the sicce .5 which is rated at 185GPH. The stock pump for the cube 10 was like 125 or 135 if I remember correctly. Dont quote me. I will not be using a skimmer for now and just relying on a refugium in chamber 2 and weekly water changes.

The intank media baskets replace the stock filter sock setup. Google or amazon intank media basket for waterbox and you'll see how it works. Allows you to use filter floss and multiple internal chambers for other media.

As you also know, nanos can be difficult and while expensive equipment and upgrades do help, it is possible to have a thriving reef tank with out having to upgrade everything or run fancy skimmers and reactors, dosers, controllers etc.
awesome! thanks so much. for feedback... i was also looking at the IM peninsula tanks... would you go waterbox peninsula or IM peninsula ?

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! thanks so much. for feedback... i was also looking at the IM peninsula tanks... would you go waterbox peninsula or IM peninsula ?
Well I have never seen a IM peninsula in person but aquarium depot is asking $250 for the IM peninsula 14 gallon and I haven't seen much on the WB peninsula 15g but I assume it's all the same or close to the 10 cube. Waterbox is asking $200 or pay $300 for the 25g.

Pictures of the IM seems as if the silicone or "edges of glass" seem large and black. Kinda look cheap in my opinion.

Again I haven't seen either in person and I am biased towards waterbox since I own the WB cube 10

Common sense says to pay less and achieve an extra gallon of tank volume. Or pay 50$ more than the IM and gain 10 extra gallons with the WB 25 peninsula.

YouTube may have some good reviews if your on the fence

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have never seen a IM peninsula in person but aquarium depot is asking $250 for the IM peninsula 14 gallon and I haven't seen much on the WB peninsula 15g but I assume it's all the same or close to the 10 cube. Waterbox is asking $200 or pay $300 for the 25g.

Pictures of the IM seems as if the silicone or "edges of glass" seem large and black. Kinda look cheap in Thanks for that ! i am thinking about the new waterbox peninsula 15 gallon... the sicce .5 will be enough for that ? what skimmer are you using ? and what does the intank basket do ? I am an advanced reefer but i am new to nanos trying to find the best equipment to upgrade all the parts
Yes the Sicce will be plenty, can be noisy for some, depends on your stand it seems.

The media basket is really just a space saver and a convenient way to add and remove media, floss on the top saves having a sock, and media inside makes it easy to change the media.

I have the cheap IM 14g ;)

If you can get it with the return it’s a good buy , also comes with the basket and lid, it’s meant to be quiet? Probably Just as good as the Sicce as my experience with the Sicce was not good, too loud and I tried two.

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the Sicce will be plenty, can be noisy for some, depends on your stand it seems.

The media basket is really just a space saver and a convenient way to add and remove media, floss on the top saves having a sock, and media inside makes it easy to change the media.

I have the cheap IM 14g ;)

If you can get it with the return it’s a good buy , also comes with the basket and lid, it’s meant to be quiet? Probably Just as good as the Sicce as my experience with the Sicce was not good, too loud and I tried two.
I'm surprised that your Sicce was loud!? I've been reading that they are considered some of the most quiet returns in the market?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pictures of the IM seems as if the silicone or "edges of glass" seem large and black. Kinda look cheap in my opinion.

Again I haven't seen either in person and I am biased towards waterbox since I own the WB cube 10

Common sense says to pay less and achieve an extra gallon of tank volume. Or pay 50$ more than the IM and gain 10 extra gallons with the WB 25 peninsula.

YouTube may have some good reviews if your on the fence
Waterbox it is! now..15 or 25 gallon...hmmmm ...gotta also decide what LED to upgrade to... I was looking at the radion XR15 gen 5 lights

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised that your Sicce was loud!? I've been reading that they are considered some of the most quiet returns in the market?

not just me, do a search on here, it’s a very mixed bag, some find them silent some not, I don’t know if it’s the luck of the draw or the tank/stand causing the pump to vibrate.

fishhead1973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I am all moved into my new place and i am reallllllly feening to build another tank... im going to go with a small all in one nano tank for this build nothing to crazy... I have been out of the game for a while and im not sure what new products are out there. Any suggestions on a good all in one nano tank?... im going to buy my own light for sure and return pump. I was looking at the new Waterbox tanks... any other nanos that compete with this tank or better? Thanks everyone! so excited to get back into the hobby!!!
Me two I got the Red Sea nano max for six months couldn’t be happier.

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox it is! now..15 or 25 gallon...hmmmm ...gotta also decide what LED to upgrade to... I was looking at the radion XR15 gen 5 lights
Lighting is so crazy, too many options with tons of different budgets in mind. That could be the hardest decision you have to make lol

Good luck. Post a tank thread when you get it up and going!

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is so crazy, too many options with tons of different budgets in mind. That could be the hardest decision you have to make lol

Good luck. Post a tank thread when you get it up and going!
Im thinking the new radions that came out a little while ago i think the XR15... or kessil?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back