New Ocellaris not eating

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased an ORA Snowstorm clown. It seemed to have an issue with its swim bladder upon arrival (not being able to stay buoyant) but after the first 24 hours that had gone away. Immediately upon introduction it paired with the ocellaris I had in my tank (the only fish at this point). It has been 4 days, and I still haven’t seen it eat at all. I soak the mysis in garlic, I’ve tried octopus, squid, brine etc. any advice? Water parameters are fine-
temp is 76F, Ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite is 0ppm. My nitrate is a little bit high, but nothing lethal. I’m dosing cupramine so I’m holding off on any water changes.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clown didn't eat for 9 days when I brought it home (there is a thread I have with lots of helpful comments if you want to look). He ended up only liking flake food, and it's still all he will eat. I have all kinds of stuff he should like better, but only flake. Try an bunch of stuff to see if you can get him eating.

OP
OP
RedFrog211

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clown didn't eat for 9 days when I brought it home (there is a thread I have with lots of helpful comments if you want to look). He ended up only liking flake food, and it's still all he will eat. I have all kinds of stuff he should like better, but only flake. Try an bunch of stuff to see if you can get him eating.
I’ll try that! Thank you :)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might ask the seller what he was fed and start with that. Also, cupramine can suppress feeding IME. I would be careful and only use cupramine if the concentration can be verified with a Hanna high range copper checker. Good luck.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Brine shrimp or flakes are good starter foods for clowns but it can take a couple if days for them to feel comfortable enough to eat

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back