OP
OP
J

justreefinit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I encourage you to take a look at the following R2R article:

Clownfish.gif
Right on! I'll check it out. Thank you

OP
OP
J

justreefinit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

No reason at all you should need to start spending a ton of money right away. You could start off with just a few fish and let the tank be for a few months or so. Then, as you continue to learn, you can decide when you feel you are ready to start with some corals.

You will find over and over that "Patience is key". this is very true. Most of the horror stories you find are a result of people trying to get that perfect display before they know how to take care of it.

Finish your cycle, add some fish, and then enjoy your tank while you go through the "uglies" and learn what you need to know before you start adding corals.

Good luck.
Thank you fore the words of wisdom. I'm for sure starting slow. I'm ready for this coral marathon!

OP
OP
J

justreefinit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best reef!

I went slow and started out with fish only. Then I got a mushroom and zenia coral. Both are inexpensive and enabled me to build my confidence. The zenia is beautiful, it opens and closes, but grows quicker than others. It likes to spread but no problem with pulling the extra babies out of the tank when they break off. Starting with soft or LPS corals is the way to go.

Suggest you get an Inkbird controller for your heater. Check out Bulk Reef Supply's videos on all things reefing on Youtube. Also, read Ron Reefman's articles here. Enjoy!

I've heard a few people recommend an Inkbird controllers. I'm gonna look more into them

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm brand new to reefing. My buddy got me hooked and I recently started a reef tank. I'm a medical student so I love learning new topics and I've enjoyed all of the chemistry I've learned so far. This hobby can be super overwhelming as I can see. There are so many factors in play and there are millions of ways to approach the same problem. I was just looking for some resources I can turn to so I can learn more about every aspect of the trade. If you could recommend some books or video series I would deeply appreciate that.

If any veterans have any wise words of wisdom I'd love to hear your insight.

So I'm balling on a budget (student loans are rough) and won't be able to afford the ultimate reef tank of my dreams for another 5ish years, but I started regardless. I have a 20 gallon tank. I bought 15 lbs of live rock from a LFS and began my cycle last week. I'm stoked because the cycle is already underway (ammonia 1ppm, nitrites 5ppm, and nitrates 10ppm). I can't wait for my levels to drop so I can move forward with introducing fish and coral.

I do have some questions that would help me with the initial phase of my tank:
-When I go forward with adding corals should I buy a colony or buy a frag and grow them?
-I'm planning on starting simple so I can learn the skills of maintaining a reef tank while not harming the corals I have. With that I plan on having mushrooms, zoa, and softies (I'm slightly confused with the nomenclature so this may be redundant). Do I have to be monitoring Calcium, Phosphate, and pH heavily for these corals?
-I live in an apartment and I currently have limited space for my tank. I don't have space for a sump so I'm considering a refugium. Can I set this up post cycle or does it need to be put in place prior to the cycle?

Okay that was a lot. In all I'm stoked to start my reefing journey and I appreciate all of your help. If there are any reefers in the Staten Island/Brooklyn area hit me up.

66433822689__9EE1958D-3D86-4C28-BA95-B87119C5E8FF.jpeg

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review (same as mentioned in post #2):

Back