New Reefer and Loving it

justreefinit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm brand new to reefing. My buddy got me hooked and I recently started a reef tank. I'm a medical student so I love learning new topics and I've enjoyed all of the chemistry I've learned so far. This hobby can be super overwhelming as I can see. There are so many factors in play and there are millions of ways to approach the same problem. I was just looking for some resources I can turn to so I can learn more about every aspect of the trade. If you could recommend some books or video series I would deeply appreciate that.

If any veterans have any wise words of wisdom I'd love to hear your insight.

So I'm balling on a budget (student loans are rough) and won't be able to afford the ultimate reef tank of my dreams for another 5ish years, but I started regardless. I have a 20 gallon tank. I bought 15 lbs of live rock from a LFS and began my cycle last week. I'm stoked because the cycle is already underway (ammonia 1ppm, nitrites 5ppm, and nitrates 10ppm). I can't wait for my levels to drop so I can move forward with introducing fish and coral.

I do have some questions that would help me with the initial phase of my tank:
-When I go forward with adding corals should I buy a colony or buy a frag and grow them?
-I'm planning on starting simple so I can learn the skills of maintaining a reef tank while not harming the corals I have. With that I plan on having mushrooms, zoa, and softies (I'm slightly confused with the nomenclature so this may be redundant). Do I have to be monitoring Calcium, Phosphate, and pH heavily for these corals?
-I live in an apartment and I currently have limited space for my tank. I don't have space for a sump so I'm considering a refugium. Can I set this up post cycle or does it need to be put in place prior to the cycle?

Okay that was a lot. In all I'm stoked to start my reefing journey and I appreciate all of your help. If there are any reefers in the Staten Island/Brooklyn area hit me up.

66433822689__9EE1958D-3D86-4C28-BA95-B87119C5E8FF.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! I encourage you to take a look at the following R2R article:

Clownfish.gif

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

I'm brand new to reefing. My buddy got me hooked and I recently started a reef tank. I'm a medical student so I love learning new topics and I've enjoyed all of the chemistry I've learned so far. This hobby can be super overwhelming as I can see. There are so many factors in play and there are millions of ways to approach the same problem. I was just looking for some resources I can turn to so I can learn more about every aspect of the trade. If you could recommend some books or video series I would deeply appreciate that.

If any veterans have any wise words of wisdom I'd love to hear your insight.

So I'm balling on a budget (student loans are rough) and won't be able to afford the ultimate reef tank of my dreams for another 5ish years, but I started regardless. I have a 20 gallon tank. I bought 15 lbs of live rock from a LFS and began my cycle last week. I'm stoked because the cycle is already underway (ammonia 1ppm, nitrites 5ppm, and nitrates 10ppm). I can't wait for my levels to drop so I can move forward with introducing fish and coral.

I do have some questions that would help me with the initial phase of my tank:
-When I go forward with adding corals should I buy a colony or buy a frag and grow them?
-I'm planning on starting simple so I can learn the skills of maintaining a reef tank while not harming the corals I have. With that I plan on having mushrooms, zoa, and softies (I'm slightly confused with the nomenclature so this may be redundant). Do I have to be monitoring Calcium, Phosphate, and pH heavily for these corals?
-I live in an apartment and I currently have limited space for my tank. I don't have space for a sump so I'm considering a refugium. Can I set this up post cycle or does it need to be put in place prior to the cycle?

Okay that was a lot. In all I'm stoked to start my reefing journey and I appreciate all of your help. If there are any reefers in the Staten Island/Brooklyn area hit me up.

66433822689__9EE1958D-3D86-4C28-BA95-B87119C5E8FF.jpeg
Welcome!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

No reason at all you should need to start spending a ton of money right away. You could start off with just a few fish and let the tank be for a few months or so. Then, as you continue to learn, you can decide when you feel you are ready to start with some corals.

You will find over and over that "Patience is key". this is very true. Most of the horror stories you find are a result of people trying to get that perfect display before they know how to take care of it.

Finish your cycle, add some fish, and then enjoy your tank while you go through the "uglies" and learn what you need to know before you start adding corals.

Good luck.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community! I look forward to seeing your tank grow out. I'm new as well so be sure to take in all the advice but I will try to answer your questions:
- Firstly, go slow. Going too fast will end in frustration and heartbreak.
- Buying a frag or colony depends on how much money you have to spend. :) What you want to take into account with a colony is how large it is, how fast it grows and how much space it will take up right away. Getting something too large might restrict you down the road as it grows larger and takes up more space. Research each coral to know where it should be placed especially when it comes to flow, lighting and each coral's neighbour. Some corals are very aggressive and will wipe out competing corals beside them.
- When you add corals, especially to a new tank you have to monitor all of your parameters to ensure you keep things as table as possible. The corals you mentioned are fairly hardy but no coral appreciates an environment that swings wildly which can happen in a new tank. Buy all the appropriate kits and good ones like Salifert. Stay away from API. :)
- You can always start with a simple setup now and add to it down the road. Having said that, think about where you want to be with the tank down the road. Ex: You don't want to do plumbing now only to have to redo it entirely down the road because you didn't factor in your add-ons in the beginning. Some things are easy to add-on even if you didn't plan for it. Other things aren't so easy.

Read, read, read some more and ask all the questions you need to. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the best reef!

I went slow and started out with fish only. Then I got a mushroom and zenia coral. Both are inexpensive and enabled me to build my confidence. The zenia is beautiful, it opens and closes, but grows quicker than others. It likes to spread but no problem with pulling the extra babies out of the tank when they break off. Starting with soft or LPS corals is the way to go.

Suggest you get an Inkbird controller for your heater. Check out Bulk Reef Supply's videos on all things reefing on Youtube. Also, read Ron Reefman's articles here. Enjoy!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back