OP
livie508

livie508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Liv. Nice tank. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. Derbyshire UK here.
Thank you very much!! im already excited to see how my tank turns out!!

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Liv!

Lots of us from the UK and Europe here, I’m in London.

I made so many mistakes from I first started 15 years ago, but we didn’t have such great information as we do now.

Don‘t be afraid to ask literally any question, research research research is the best piece of advice I can give.

The second best advice I can offer is, take it slow, let nature take its course. Lotions and potions should be the last resort to resolve issues, as typically they fix one issue and cause a bigger issue.
You may, at some point, bump into pest bacteria / algae, known as cyano and dinos, they can sometimes be avoided, but this comes back to my point about taking it slow and avoiding potions.

Last piece of advice i will give is, make it a habit to test your water each week, keeping alkalinity stable is critical for coral heath, and keeping your nutrients above zero, but not too high, is critical for avoid cyano/dinos whilst not encouraging algae too much.
Algae is unavoidable, but pushing too low causes other issues, it’s a fine balance.

Give me a shout anytime.
Best of luck!

Cheers,
Dave

OP
OP
livie508

livie508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Liv!

Lots of us from the UK and Europe here, I’m in London.

I made so many mistakes from I first started 15 years ago, but we didn’t have such great information as we do now.

Don‘t be afraid to ask literally any question, research research research is the best piece of advice I can give.

The second best advice I can offer is, take it slow, let nature take its course. Lotions and potions should be the last resort to resolve issues, as typically they fix one issue and cause a bigger issue.
You may, at some point, bump into pest bacteria / algae, known as cyano and dinos, they can sometimes be avoided, but this comes back to my point about taking it slow and avoiding potions.

Last piece of advice i will give is, make it a habit to test your water each week, keeping alkalinity stable is critical for coral heath, and keeping your nutrients above zero, but not too high, is critical for avoid cyano/dinos whilst not encouraging algae too much.
Algae is unavoidable, but pushing too low causes other issues, it’s a fine balance.

Give me a shout anytime.
Best of luck!

Cheers,
Dave
Thank you! This is some great advice for me, im definitely wanting to do everything thoroughly and make sure im not missing anything :)

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liv, nice to chat with you. I can almost hear the accent. ;) I have to be honest though. I quarantine everything myself. Lots of great advice here.

OP
OP
livie508

livie508

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef and nice to see all the fellow UK members.
I recognise that tank, that's the tank that started it all for me. Nice tank for the price
its a great tank! perfect little cube, im just hoping i can achieve what others have in terms of a nice little reef!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back