New Royal Gramma - Question

Jkt97401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys!

I picked up a Royal Gramma from my LFS, thinking it would fit in with my relatively peaceful inhabitants of my 40 breeder reef. In addition to my cleanup crew, fishy inhabitants are listed below:

1 pair of Ocellaris clownfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Sixline Wrasse

Previously, all of fish have been so peaceful. No aggressive behavior whatsoever. I re-homed a orchid dottyback and wanted to get the Royal Gramma to replace him, since they're more peaceful (dang dottyback, lesson learned!)

Anyways, the poor Gramma has been picked on and nipped at by every single other fish in my tank, I feel awful for him! He finally made his way into a cave system where he can hide out away from the others. My question for you guys is this, what could make the other (normally) peaceful fish turn aggressive towards him? I'm wondering if his size had anything to do with it, he is very small. I didn't pull out a ruler or anything, but he is definitely a baby. I don't think he is 1 inch long yet.

Thanks for any insight or info!

OP
OP
J

Jkt97401

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm already on it! I have a bottle baited near the cave, trying to lure him in so I can put him in my sump or in a peacemaker like you said. I'm working on separating him from the rest, but in the mean time I'm trying to understand why they're all meanies to him :(

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They release stress hormones which basically programs the other fish to 'attack.'

Credit to melevsreef
Is there a particularly belligerent fish among he other four? Six-Lines in a small tank may not like fish of a similar body shape and a more peaceful temperament.
Nothing to do with a 'belligerent fish'. It is as well-known member says, you have dropped a stressed, stranger into a settled community- the other fish have reached an understanding. The fish already in there are feisty and they are trying to chase the newcomer away but it hasn't got anywhere to go, so is continually being chased. It will either find its niche or, I'm afraid, need to be removed.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Haydn said.

The established fish understand the current balance, and some new guy just showed up - they're going to show him off.

You can try a "social acclimation box" - could be as easy as a Kritter Keeper with a piece of rock in it to keep the gramma from drifting about in the current, keep him comfortable, keep him contained - and keep him safe from the aggression of the established community for a few days, until things settle down.

~B.

Silly clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always read that it is better to put the aggressor in the acclimation box so the new fish can explore and find a niche unharrassed. The problem in this case is you can’t put all of the aggressors in a box. Rearranging the rock work so that everyone is needed to adjust might also help.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do with a 'belligerent fish'. It is as well-known member says, you have dropped a stressed, stranger into a settled community- the other fish have reached an understanding. The fish already in there are feisty and they are trying to chase the newcomer away but it hasn't got anywhere to go, so is continually being chased. It will either find its niche or, I'm afraid, need to be removed.
Generally it goes that way but I had the whole thing in reverse with a Yellow Tang. He was the last fish to be added and he instantly became the terror of the tank despite the other fish being larger (pair of Regal Angels, pair of Marine Bettas) or meaner (spawning pair of large Red Sea Clownfish). His advantage over the rest was that he was better armed... Ultimately I had to kick him out.

The issue with Grammas is that they are very docile fish who generally try to avoid fights - they may have an impressively large mouth but are more bark than bite. Also, Grammas are social fish that are normally found in groups. A lone Gramma will feel insecure by default, especially in a new environment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They'll beat it to death. I doubt if you can return it to LFS shredded, but you can get a $6 net breeder for livebearers at walmart and keep it in there safely and allowed to heal) and fish will perhaps get used to it. I generally try to introduce fish right before OR at lights out so it can establish a hiding place and have the fish wondering " Where did this guy come from"

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the acclimation box. The fish should leave him alone after 2-3 days. If not, they probably never will.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep a close eye on it but if there are enough caves for him to hide in he may settle in, they are very fast swimmers so as long as it has somewhere to go he should be fine, he’ll dart out for food then back in, once he knows he has caves he will start to get more confidence and also start protecting his caves, mine is not scared to head butt a clown if it gets too near his cave.but as he is only young I would watch closely and if it hasn’t calmed down within a week I would maybe remove.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the fish you have are known to be somewhat aggressive. Ocellaris are some of the less agressive of the clowns but can still be pretty feisty when defending their territory. Dwarf angels are also known to be aggressive much of the time , some more than others. Six-lines are referred to as "terrors" more often than not (there's a reason so many live in frag tanks LOL).

A 40B isn't tiny, but they don't have a ton of room either, further escalating the tension because now they are all fiercely defending their tiny patch of water. As previously stated, the current residents had an understanding but when you added a newcomer you upset the applecart. A royal gramma doesn't have much defense other than to hide.

I would get the RG out and rehome.

Back