New Skimmer & Macroalgae Wasting - Observations and Request for Advice

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I need some advice and this is the best place in the world for high quality reef advice, so please bear with me and thanks in advance for your help!

Basically I was skimmerless for a couple of weeks after removing my previous skimmer to prepare the sump for a skimmer upgrade and observe how the tank would be skimmerless. Those two weeks have been the only two weeks I’ve ever been skimmerless, aside from the first couple of months after putting salt and water in my first reef tank (I was a broke college kid 16 years ago).

The reason for upgrading the skimmer was twofold; primarily because of a desire to get nutrients down from around 0.3 ppm PO4 and 15-20 ppm NO3. I felt my old skimmer was inadequate; plus I’m working on a new tank 4-5x the size of my current one and upgraded to a larger and “better model.” Now I have the Reef Octopus Regal 250EXT. Earlier I had the Red Sea RSK-300.

I’m now running the new skimmer and until yesterday hadn’t connected my CO2 scrubber. What I’ve seen is the macroalgae I have (multiple species but probably 80% chaeto) is suddenly not doing well and is rapidly wasting, and pH until yesterday was lower still (8.1-8.2) vs. no skimming (8.2-8.3) vs. my old skimmer with CO2 scrubbing (8.4-8.5). This suggested my new skimmer without scrubbing was almost certainly driving more CO2 from household air into the water column than would be coming in without skimming. So I’d imagined that would be a good thing for macroalgae.

Another point is that the easily measurable nutrients aren’t really low now either; still around .1 ppm PO4 and 10-15 ppm NO3. So it seems the macroalgae wasting away might not be related to lack of nutrients or lack of CO2.

I have a Kessil refugium light above the refugium and haven’t changed the lighting at all and also haven’t changed my dosing of anything. I plumbed the skimmer into the sump via a modified Triton approach but with recirculating water in the sump (skimmer feed pulls a portion of water post refugium to skimmer, and skimmer effluent goes back in before the refugium). This was due to space reasons mainly but certainly also has the effect of increasing local flow rate in the refugium.

My macroalgae is almost totally gone now. I hooked my CO2 scrubber back up yesterday though, as we’ve spent the weekend inside and pH was approaching 8, which I felt it was too low. Eighteen hours after reinstalling the scrubber, pH is back up to 8.5 as might be expected.

But the big question in my case is what’s messing with the macroalgae in such a huge way? I’m thinking it’s one or more of the following as other variables are unchanged, at least those variables I can think of. Too much flow through the refugium now? Nutrient issue? Or the new gas/liquid equilibrium is somehow impacting the algae?

I just plumbed the skimmer air intake outside vs. scrubbing and will see how things look after a few days. I’m considering what to test next if there’s no improvement; turning the skimmer off when refugium lights are on, or turning the skimmer off full time again.

I’m no fan of frequent changes, but if the macroalgae keeps wasting away at the present rate, I guess it will be gone before the end of this coming week. Not the end of the world, I can start over again, but still.

Thanks again in advance for you comments, thoughts, and advice!

Adam

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks ago, this chamber was absolutely chock full of algae.

Attachments

• 8A461860-8708-4F0E-A3A0-44029F444AC4.jpeg
    8A461860-8708-4F0E-A3A0-44029F444AC4.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 49

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Adam1985
Too many missing variables. If you had done ICP testing before & after, we could talk some. I suggest you look at trace minerals, especially iron.

Your question is much more complex than you might realize. I suggest you get @Lasse invoved in the details. Also, you may get more discussion on “reef discussion“ forum instead of macro forum. And finally, a pH of 8.0 is not low. What coral live stock are you maintaining in your set up.? Healthy natural reefs fluctuate from 8.2 to 7.8.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Adam

Have you any possibility to get an ICP test on your aquarium?

The CO2 could affect the result but you have had high pH (means low CO2) and good growth of macroalgae before (and pH 8 means a lot of more CO2 in the water compared with 8.4 - 8.5). I´m with Subsea that pH 8 is not a bad figure either. everything indicate that your macros have used CO3/HCO3 in the water in order to compensate for low content of natural CO2 (many macroalgaes have a possibility to produce their needed CO2 from the alkalinity (mostly the content of CO3/HCO3 in the water)

If there is a connection with low macroalgae growth and your recent changes or not - I can´t say. You say that they not only have stopped to grow - they also fade away. Was this started when you start the new skimmer or did you see signs before - when you run it skimmerless?

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks both!

Subsea, thanks for the really good comments and questions. I’ve had ICP tests but not since this issue started. I dose iron/manganese and iodine daily, and for trace I use TM A-, TM K+, Pohl’s Xtra, and K weekly (K only if my K drops below 400; aiming for 410-.420). Sr is in my 2 part. For corals I’ve got a mix of all kinds of stuff, more than 80 pieces and closer to a hundred if you count duplicate species, from leathers, mushrooms and GSP, bunch of LPS, and SPS. Can get specific if it helps. Agreed that a pH of 8 isn’t low in an of itself; heck I ran 7.8 for years and years before, just have been trying to keep it higher these days so it was low “for me.” I’ll consider the general discussion forum as well for any future posts like this.

Lasse, thanks. It started right after the new skimmer installation and you’re right, it’s not just lack of growth. It’s definitely wasting. Actually the mass of algae is already down again by about half since the photo I shared. It was actually doing quite nicely during the skimmerless period; actually my whole tank was doing fine although the water wasn’t as clear as usual.

This skimmer is cranking out a lot of skimmate; but it’s not like nutrients are undetectable.

October ICP attached; there aren’t any other options yet here and the Fauna Marin 72 variable kit is also unavailable at the moment. I was thinking getting additional ICPs like this might not be worth it but I certainly can do if you think it would be worth it. Lead time from sampling to results is 3-4 weeks.

Thanks guys for your input and help.

Attachments

• 154D67C4-A993-44FC-8417-DFC0E9253539.jpeg
    154D67C4-A993-44FC-8417-DFC0E9253539.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 49
  • FBCDE8E8-C80C-4DDC-9922-931EE30D4538.jpeg
    FBCDE8E8-C80C-4DDC-9922-931EE30D4538.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 46

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any negative reactions from your corals? Shrunken mushrooms, GSP not showing polyps and so on.

It seems that the addition of the new skimmer is the reason - or there is indications of that. I would first try to investigate this possibility. a skimmer is giant air exchanger - if the skimmer is the reason - either something in gas form is taken away from the aquarium or added into the aquarium. You live in Shanghai - if you take air from the outside - how is the air quality outside for the moment? any inversions lately? Case like this is rather like a good book of Agatha Christie - you have to puzzle a lot.

It was a new skimmer - did you rinse it before use?. Sometimes - there can be residues of release agents and plasticizers in newly done plastic equipment.

Sincerely Lasse

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back