New Snowflake eels Fighting

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought another snowflake eel today to put into an eel tank I’m building. I had another snowflake in a smaller tank. I acclimated both eels and introduced them at the same time, immediately they started fighting. I did my research before hand and it seemed like they would be okay. Even at the LFS the new eel was in the same tank as another snowflake. The only thing I could think of is I used food in an attempt to lure the old eel out of his cave. I did read in my research they can be aggressive during feeding time. Does the old eel think it’s feeding time and thus is attacking the new one? Are they asserting dominance? What’s going on here and how do I stop the fighting. They separate but as soon as they see each other the old eel who is slightly thicker (close to the same length) attacks the new one. Pics soon

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First picture is of old eel, the one starting the fights, the one that got fed. Second picture is where the new eel is hiding. Third picture shows the old eel and in the top left behind the wave maker is where the new eel is hiding

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 200
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 207

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are they in, 2 snowflakes will need at least a 75g. There also needs to be at least 3 den options, it does appear you need more intricate rock work. If the tank is large enough and there's enough rock work for options, 2 snowflakes will usually get along. There could be some initial angst but it should settle down, unless there is a substantial size difference, they should work it out before anyone gets hurt.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are they in, 2 snowflakes will need at least a 75g. There also needs to be at least 3 den options, it does appear you need more intricate rock work. If the tank is large enough and there's enough rock work for options, 2 snowflakes will usually get along. There could be some initial angst but it should settle down, unless there is a substantial size difference, they should work it out before anyone gets hurt.
They seem to have calmed down a little bit. I have been considering adding a rock or two to the background of the tank on the bottom, I might do that tomorrow and that would give another den option. The snowflake I had in a smaller tank (referenced as the old one) has already scoped out the rock work and found numerous spots for a den. He goes in and out of the pvc and will then go to the bottom of the tank and swim the perimeter then go to the top and see if there’s an opening. When I first got him and introduced him to the tank he came from he was very active in a similar way, swimming around looking for a way out. It seems as of right now that the old eel sticks to the bottom and the new eel sticks to the top. They are both 8”-10” the only difference is girth. The old one, the one starting the fights is roughly 1/8” wider. Not a whole lot but enough to see a difference.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to have calmed down a little bit. I have been considering adding a rock or two to the background of the tank on the bottom, I might do that tomorrow and that would give another den option. The snowflake I had in a smaller tank (referenced as the old one) has already scoped out the rock work and found numerous spots for a den. He goes in and out of the pvc and will then go to the bottom of the tank and swim the perimeter then go to the top and see if there’s an opening. When I first got him and introduced him to the tank he came from he was very active in a similar way, swimming around looking for a way out. It seems as of right now that the old eel sticks to the bottom and the new eel sticks to the top. They are both 8”-10” the only difference is girth. The old one, the one starting the fights is roughly 1/8” wider. Not a whole lot but enough to see a difference.
Maybe this is the initial angst you mentioned. I hate to be a worry wart but I would rather ask a preemptive question than than lose livestock, as I’m sure is the case with most people here :)

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morays are very aggressive towards other morays, they can be housed together but theres always a risk of one killing another. Typically as long as they're close in size they'll fight to establish dominance and territories in the tank but not anyways go for the kill. Usually only takes a few days but after that's settled they're typically fine. They must be monitored closely and if any serious damage happens you're gonna have to separate them

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morays are very aggressive towards other morays, they can be housed together but theres always a risk of one killing another. Typically as long as they're close in size they'll fight to establish dominance and territories in the tank but not anyways go for the kill. Usually only takes a few days but after that's settled they're typically fine. They must be monitored closely and if any serious damage happens you're gonna have to separate them
Will do. I really hope this works out

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be tough in a 55G.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With one hanging at the top it sounds like there is not enough room or cave and den areas. It's not normal for them to be at the top and the dominant eel doesn't want to share. When I mentioned a 75g that was the bare minimum and the rock work needs to be pretty much across the whole tank with multiple openings and multiple areas in which each eel can have their own territory. Personally I would suggest 125g as they mature, a fully mature snowflake can reach up to 30".

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With one hanging at the top it sounds like there is not enough room or cave and den areas. It's not normal for them to be at the top and the dominant eel doesn't want to share. When I mentioned a 75g that was the bare minimum and the rock work needs to be pretty much across the whole tank with multiple openings and multiple areas in which each eel can have their own territory. Personally I would suggest 125g as they mature, a fully mature snowflake can reach up to
I am currently trying to buy a 75 that I found for cheap. I never planned to have them in this tank until they were full grown so they are going to move out eventually

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS had 8 in a tank together.
I have 2 in a 75. At first the larger one would chase the smaller one if food was in the tank. Now they eat at separate times and tolerate each other even if close together. They each have separate places they stay in.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in a 75. At first the larger one would chase the smaller one if food was in the tank. Now they eat at separate times and tolerate each other even if close together. They each have separate places they stay in.
I am going to add some more rock to the tank and see if that helps. Now when you say they eat at separate times, do you mean as in separate days eg. One Monday and the other Tuesday or like one at 3:00 and the other at 5:15?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to add some more rock to the tank and see if that helps. Now when you say they eat at separate times, do you mean as in separate days eg. One Monday and the other Tuesday or like one at 3:00 and the other at 5:15?
I feed one from forceps and then leave some in the tank and the other comes out and gets it.
IMG_3562-L.jpg

Mostly they eat squid chunks I get in the frozen section at Walmart and frozen silversides.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more rocks to the bottom. You can’t really tell but this gave two more decent size caves (considering the size my eels currently are) the newer one still hangs out by the intake pump for the protein skimmer but the older one has found more caves in the rock work than I ever intended. He snakes himself into crevices I didn’t even know existed. As I typed this he moved into and is hanging out in the new rocks. (Last two pictures)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed one from forceps and then leave some in the tank and the other comes out and gets it.
IMG_3562-L.jpg

Mostly they eat squid chunks I get in the frozen section at Walmart and frozen silversides.
Okay, I feed mine silversides

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old eels current favorite spot. Never intended for that to happen and I hope he doesn’t get stuck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 83

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As juvi's they usually have no issues, but as mature adults co-habitation becomes a bit more challenging. Within a couple of years they may or may not get along. If you are lucky enough to get a male and a female they may reside in the same den, but two males will need enough room to have completely separated territories.

You may find some interesting info on diet here

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As juvi's they usually have no issues, but as mature adults co-habitation becomes a bit more challenging. Within a couple of years they may or may not get along. If you are lucky enough to get a male and a female they may reside in the same den, but two males will need enough room to have completely separated territories.

You may find some interesting info on diet here
Thank you for the link! I fed the new eel and not the old one and now the new eel is checking out the new rocks. Things seem hopeful thus far.

image.jpg

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to have sorted out the territory issue. Both of them seem tolerant of the other now and have taken up different dens.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the filter is the safe zone. Not sure why they like to hang out in there.

Attachments

• 86C579DE-AE6E-4B0D-B9D5-DD5B7F25B906.jpeg
    86C579DE-AE6E-4B0D-B9D5-DD5B7F25B906.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DA294B19-6991-44A4-9E7F-4E05F963A90F.jpeg
    DA294B19-6991-44A4-9E7F-4E05F963A90F.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 149

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back