New Tank Cycle

Newbie4045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
New member here. I just upgraded by 20 gallon nano to a 50 gallon cube. I just finished the plumbing for my sump recently and instead of slipxslip bulkheads I used 1" bulkhead abs slip×thread for the ability to replace in the future if needed. I used 1" schedule 80 male pipe adapters to screw into the bulkheads. While plumbing the system I used plumbing tape for those threads before screwing them in.

After cementing all my pipe together to the adapters and starting to run the system, i added microbacter to my display/sump and added a small shrimp for the bacteria to start the cycle. At first I didnt notice any leaks so let the system run. I went on a week snowboarding trip and am not at home. I asked someone to turn off the return pump after they told me they saw major leaks between all the bulkheads and the adapters (see the attached picture). I also asked them to take out the shrimp since the filtration is not running. My maxpect gyre xf330s are still running in the meantime.

Should I try again with new slipxthread bulkheads or should I just replace them with slip/slip and cement everything together? Also, is the gyre enough to provide circulation for a week without the return pump on? Or should I just restart with new RODI water after I fix the bulkhead leaking issue when I return? Thanks!

Screenshot_20200113-211939_Gallery.jpg

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be fine until you get back and figure out why it's leaking. No need to start over with new water.

You'll probably have to take those apart and clean them due to salt. Then just reassemble and make sure they are tight enough.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back