Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've read through leak check advice on reef2reef. Many folks seem to have many different opinions (hey what else is new ?) Some say you should leak test every time you move the tank. Some say leak testing not necessary. Some say leak testing is absolutely necessary. Some say only needed for bulkhead/sump testing.

I was going to test the tank in my garage, then move the tank/stand to its final resting place in my living room. However this "testing in its final resting place" stuff is making me consider twice. I don't to mess with the integrity of the tank by moving it back and forth.

I have the Innovative Marine All In One 40 Gallon tank brand new. What are your thoughts?

Thanks all !

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test in its final resting spot. If it leaks, lower water below leak, fix and move on. Leak testing in any other location, other than a used tank at the sellers' location, is a bit of a waste of time and water.

Last edited:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my tank I had the seller fill it full of water and send me pictures over a few days, no leak was present. When he delivered it I put it in its final spot and watched as it filled with fresh water. Left the fresh water in there for a few weeks to verify no leak, then reefed the crap out of it. I find it valuable to leak test before buying, because if it leaks the tank is worth significantly less.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one of the pre-made systems. You would think it would be good, but it may not be. What I do (typically buying a used tank), is wash it outside and test on the ground (needs to be flat an uniform regarding bedding) and look for leaks. Then one in place, start plumbing and test by increasing height for each new plumbing level. If the overflow is up high then full is all you have. If the risk to your house is minimal go ahead and test in place. If you would cause thousands of dollars of damage, test outside. If you have the time, do partial fills every day to test the various spots in the tank and allow for easier leveling before it is too heavy. This will also allow it to settle as you fill and make the leveling a bit easier.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visual inspection on the glass, no chips or cracks the glass is ok.
Visual inspection on the seams, if they are clear and covering the entire edge, then the seams are ok. If the seams have bubbles, or are not complete or sketchy( use your best judgement ) or if your glass isn’t solid fill test outside first.

Either way, fill test on a level stand.

Fill in the final resting place if the glass and seams are visually ok.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back