New tank parameters and conditions

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank about two weeks ago and used Dr. Tim's and biospira to start the tank. This is in a 32 gallon biocube. I have 2, 3 year old clownfish and a brand new cardinal who was kinda the guinea pig to see if the tank was safe before putting in my beloved clowns as well as a small Xenia which seems healthy along with the fish and around 10 hermits and 2 astraea snails (obviously plan on getting more slowly). I'm using about 30lbs of sand and 30lbs of live rock with an intank media basket and refugium and coralife v2 skimmer which works much better than the previous model. I have filter floss in the top of the basket, chemipure blue in the middle and fluval biomax rings in the bottom. I have sea lettuce in my refugium and I also added 3,300 copepods and I dose 5ml of phyto a day with a 3w light bar suction cupped to the back providing light for the sea lettuce. My levels are currently at
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Somewhere between 0 and .25 phosphate but I think it's on the lower end the API kits suck
Between 5-10 nitrate once again have no exact idea as API kits suck.
My PH is a conundrum as when I started the tank it was at 8.4 but now it sits at about 7.8 at night and 8.2 with the lights on and I can't seem to bump it up at all even with a water change (actually seems to dip the pH rather than bump)
Temp 78 but 80 if my room gets hot
Salinity 1.025
I just started experiencing a very mild dino bloom about 3 days ago.
Does everything about this seem normal to you more experienced reefers out there? I'm also running my lights about 10 hours a day right now. Any recommendations on invert additions or clean up crew? I'm looking for anything and every bit of advice I can get on this tank so this is pretty much an open discussion! Thanks for the help!!! (I'll attach a pic just cuz and I just redesigned the rockwork tonight so I haven't gotten a pic with the whites on just yet).

0160BED5-5F99-4241-8576-9BA50CA3B68A.jpeg

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a new tank about two weeks ago and used Dr. Tim's and biospira to start the tank. This is in a 32 gallon biocube. I have 2, 3 year old clownfish and a brand new cardinal who was kinda the guinea pig to see if the tank was safe before putting in my beloved clowns as well as a small Xenia which seems healthy along with the fish and around 10 hermits and 2 astraea snails (obviously plan on getting more slowly). I'm using about 30lbs of sand and 30lbs of live rock with an intank media basket and refugium and coralife v2 skimmer which works much better than the previous model. I have filter floss in the top of the basket, chemipure blue in the middle and fluval biomax rings in the bottom. I have sea lettuce in my refugium and I also added 3,300 copepods and I dose 5ml of phyto a day with a 3w light bar suction cupped to the back providing light for the sea lettuce. My levels are currently at
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
Somewhere between 0 and .25 phosphate but I think it's on the lower end the API kits suck
Between 5-10 nitrate once again have no exact idea as API kits suck.
My PH is a conundrum as when I started the tank it was at 8.4 but now it sits at about 7.8 at night and 8.2 with the lights on and I can't seem to bump it up at all even with a water change (actually seems to dip the pH rather than bump)
Temp 78 but 80 if my room gets hot
Salinity 1.025
I just started experiencing a very mild dino bloom about 3 days ago.
Does everything about this seem normal to you more experienced reefers out there? I'm also running my lights about 10 hours a day right now. Any recommendations on invert additions or clean up crew? I'm looking for anything and every bit of advice I can get on this tank so this is pretty much an open discussion! Thanks for the help!!! (I'll attach a pic just cuz and I just redesigned the rockwork tonight so I haven't gotten a pic with the whites on just yet).

0160BED5-5F99-4241-8576-9BA50CA3B68A.jpeg
I also used dry rock to start the tank and absolutely no live rock. Another question I had is does the chemipure blue have to have any kind of movent or tumbling to be effective?

OP
OP
Mattc123

Mattc123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used dry rock to start the tank and absolutely no live rock. Another question I had is does the chemipure blue have to have any kind of movent or tumbling to be effective?
Sorry to get back to you almost a year later! Not sure if you ever found out the answer to this question but after all this time I'm still wondering that as well!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back