Hello, my old 33 gallon tank got infested
So I started a new 40 gallon reef tank.
So far I have dry rock in it and a few small pieces of live rock
I introduced a few snails and mushrooms
It's been a week now.
Backteria is low since it's all new.
I just purchased fritz zyme 9
Live nitrifying bacteria
It say on bottles it removes naturally ammonia & nitrite.
The fish store told me I can't use this product until my ammonia is between 2 and 5.
Is this correct
My ammonia is around 0.5 right now
The fish store told me to add food.
I'm trying to speed up the bacteria so I can transfer my fish and soft coral from old tank.
Please advice
Thank you

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What infested your old tank?

Are you using API test for ammonia?

Fritz #9 is safe to add with less than 2ppm <NH3 <5.0ppm, it will not be harmed at lower concentrations. The bacteria in the bottle will spread faster to your rock if it has ammonia to eat, but it won't starve it the ammonia concentration is less than 2ppm.

I asked about the infestation because I am wondering what you are trying to keep from spreading into the new tank?

djs4him

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week now.
Live nitrifying bacteria
The fish store told me I can't use this product until my ammonia is between 2 and 5.
Is this correct
I'm trying to speed up the bacteria so I can transfer my fish and soft coral from old tank.
Please advice
Thank you
Food is one way to do it. Do you have anything from your old tank that can help seed this new one? What did the old tank get infested with?

OP
OP
D

danieltouchette1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It got infestations with this
244A7F5A-E01F-4380-B905-83610BFFA306.jpeg

OP
OP
D

danieltouchette1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food is one way to do it. Do you have anything from your old tank that can help seed this new one? What did the old tank get infested with?
Yes I transfered about 1/4 of the old water from the 33 gallon. I transferred a the hermit crabs and quite a few snails
I can’t transfer my old rocks I’m scared that I will carry over a old mate I don’t want to have
I also just purchased a few small live rock yesterday

OP
OP
D

danieltouchette1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What infested your old tank?

Are you using API test for ammonia?

Fritz #9 is safe to add with less than 2ppm <NH3 <5.0ppm, it will not be harmed at lower concentrations. The bacteria in the bottle will spread faster to your rock if it has ammonia to eat, but it won't starve it the ammonia concentration is less than 2ppm.

I asked about the infestation because I am wondering what you are trying to keep from spreading into the new tank?
Yes I am

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a week now.
Live nitrifying bacteria
Is this correct
Please advice
Thank you
You do not need it to hit 2 to 5 ppm ammonia on the opener. By the time you can test for that much ammonia there is probably far more than that and that will cause you to have a very high amount of nitrite which generally causes the cycle to slow drastically or almost to a halt. Having a lot does not mean good. Too much nitrite inhibits bacterial growth and you need bacterial growth to consume nitrite. You want nitrite to stay below 5 ppm.

0.5 ppm ammonia is a solid number to start at. Just pour in the bottled bacteria and let it convert the 0.5 ppm ammonia ->nitrite->nitrate. Once all of that is converted, you can use food or a known concentration of ammonia and dose again to a slightly higher amount like 1.0 ppm ammonia if your wanting even more bacteria.

OP
OP
D

danieltouchette1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not need it to hit 2 to 5 ppm ammonia on the opener. By the time you can test for that much ammonia there is probably far more than that and that will cause you to have a very high amount of nitrite which generally causes the cycle to slow drastically or almost to a halt. Having a lot does not mean good. Too much nitrite inhibits bacterial growth and you need bacterial growth to consume nitrite. You want nitrite to stay below 5 ppm.

0.5 ppm ammonia is a solid number to start at. Just pour in the bottled bacteria and let it convert the 0.5 ppm ammonia ->nitrite->nitrate. Once all of that is converted, you can use food or a known concentration of ammonia and dose again to a slightly higher amount like 1.0 ppm ammonia if your wanting even more bacteria.
Thank you so much for the explanation

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back