OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How lonmg is the seahare in there. Sometimes it takes couple days for them to chow down. And when they do, you better have a lot of algae or else they will die. Hope starts to eat. Good Luck and Welcome
I bought it 2 or 3 days ago. The LFS said I could take it back for credit once my tank is clear.

OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome - if that picture of your tank is recent I'd say it's not in all that bad of shape!

It looks like you have a canister filter - how often are you changing that and how old is the media inside it? Can you start running a protein skimmer?

Personally - I wouldn't change too much all at once. Get started on regular water changes, be sure you get and keep your salinity right on target. Run for at least 2 weeks after that and keep your tank as stable as possible.

See whats happening after that - algae going away a little? Great - keep up the water changes. Algae getting worse? OK - start taking additional steps.

First though - get the tank stable and keep it stable for a few weeks. As long as nothing is close to death - go nice & slow.
Yes that is my current tank and thank you! . I have seen it in way better condition which is why I feel it doesnt look so hot. Its just a lot of live rock right now. I do have a canister filter. Its the first one I bought 7 years ago and I havent moved to anything else. I feel its not 100 percent what I want but I dont know enough to change it. I would have to do more research. As far as a protein skimmer your the 2nd person who has suggested that so guess what I will be researching next . It probably was changed out around may but the guy who I had come clean my tank used to clean it out every so often. I just noticed today my lights are not set up correctly and I think thats causing some of it. I will definitely keep up with water changes. I checked the salinty 4 days ago and it was super high and I did another small water change yesterday and the salinty went from being at 1.032 to 1.028.
20191015_195930.jpg
20191016_205711.jpg

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your canister filter has not been serviced since May? If that is accurate - there's your problem.

You need to clean that on a regular basis - and get an ATO in place to keep your salinity where it needs to be.

If you accomplish those 2 things - I'll bet you'll be in a much better state.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. A few quick think. Love the countertops.

Your salinity is way high. I use those hydrometer too, but a refractor is better and more accurate. The biggest thing with those is the possibility bubbles get on the arm giving false high readings. So first we want to be sure your reading is accurate.

When you add top off water are you adding mixed or fresh RO, or using an ATO? How do you mix water? Once you get a routine down these problems go away.

There’s tons of info here to read and ask about. Please take advantage of it all.

Glad you joined

OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. A few quick think. Love the countertops.

Your salinity is way high. I use those hydrometer too, but a refractor is better and more accurate. The biggest thing with those is the possibility bubbles get on the arm giving false high readings. So first we want to be sure your reading is accurate.

When you add top off water are you adding mixed or fresh RO, or using an ATO? How do you mix water? Once you get a routine down these problems go away.

There’s tons of info here to read and ask about. Please take advantage of it all.

Glad you joined
I actually recently purchased this house and one of my requirements was granite counter tops so thanks! This hydrometer is about 7 years old as well. I bought it when I first started with the tank. So I should probably get a new one but a friend suggested for me to get the salinty tested at the fish store. When I top off I use fresh. With my work schedule it was hard to spend time with the tank so I had someone servicing the tank for the last 6 months but now Im back to being able to spend some time with it.

OP
OP
Jmradtke13

Jmradtke13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your canister filter has not been serviced since May? If that is accurate - there's your problem.

You need to clean that on a regular basis - and get an ATO in place to keep your salinity where it needs to be.

If you accomplish those 2 things - I'll bet you'll be in a much better state.
Not entirely. He changed the media in may but he cleaned it out when ever he came to service it once a month.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! So Im new to r2r and new to forums so excuse the naiveness. A little back story. I have been a salt water hobbiest for about 7 years now. I used to have a beautiful tank but ended up moving and with lack of knowledge and a promotion at work leading to a very busy work schedule I neglected my tank. I didnt really care enough again until like 5 months ago when I started paying someone to come and do water changes. Fast forward to today and lessons learned Im reaching out to this wonderful community for the knowledge I need that I am lacking to continue on this journey without paying someone my hard earned money on something I enjoy. I currently have a 55 gallon with only some polyps and candy cane coral that is pretty small. I have a small clean up crew consisting of hermits, astreas, 2 tiger conchs, seahare and 1 or 2 mexicans and a turbo. Livestock wise 2 dominos, a fox face I just purchased a long with a school of 5 chromis. My question to you guys is I had a bloom of hair algea and I think diatoms? ( the sand has a film and red in color) I tested my water and nitrates were high along with a very high salinity. I went to the LFS today to have them test as well he said my phosphates were kinda high but not to extreme along with a slightly high salinty. So I was advised to do a small water change (like 5 percent) and add about 3 gallons of fresh to my 2 gallons of salt. Any other advice to get rid of hair algea? How many snails should I own in my tank? Could my lights contribute to any of this? I have owned nems before, tangs, and other coral and would like to get back to that but I know I need to get the numbers right. Sorry for the long post, I have attached some photos of my tank as well. I am glad to be apart of this community .
20191016_192024.jpg
20191013_165948.jpg
20191013_165955.jpg
20191016_192354.jpg

Really Great to have you as part of the R2R Family…WELCOME….Explore…Learn…Share

HoUw.gif

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back