New to Reef Tanks!

Capt3ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I have been an avid freshwater guy for decades, and I got tons of knowledge in that dept however, recently decided to try my hand at a saltwater tank. I know theres a world of differences, but I dont know, what I dont know. Currently I'm a little intimidated by my light, I have the AI prime HD which is too legit to quit! But it may be more control than I know how to handle, can anyone give me some bearing as to light intensities and color settings? My tank is still in its first cycle so I have time but wanting to get ahead of this for when it's ready for bigger living things.... I'd also like any recomendations you have for a first timer!

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about PAR. LPS coral generally requires 25 - 150 PAR. SPS generally requires excess of 150 PAR, preferably excess of 200. Your light Should Indicate It's PAR. If it doesn't you might need to purchase a light refractometer. Before you buy a particular coral, research it's specific light requirements since each coral differs. Definitely don't buy a light unless you are sure that it produces enough PAR.

OP
OP
C

Capt3ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Prime HD. I think that should be plenty strong enough for an 20 gal, 18 x 18 x 18 display.

It's all about PAR. LPS coral generally requires 25 - 150 PAR. SPS generally requires excess of 150 PAR, preferably excess of 200. Your light Should Indicate It's PAR. If it doesn't you might need to purchase a light refractometer. Before you buy a particular coral, research it's specific light requirements since each coral differs. Definitely don't buy a light unless you are sure that it produces enough PAR.

thaitopher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AI Prime HD. I think that should be plenty strong enough for an 20 gal, 18 x 18 x 18 display.
Yes. That's a great light. Gets 100 PAR at 24 inches from looking at the company Web page. Put your LPS at the bottom and SPS at the top so you don't bleach your LPS due to too much light

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I have been an avid freshwater guy for decades, and I got tons of knowledge in that dept however, recently decided to try my hand at a saltwater tank. I know theres a world of differences, but I dont know, what I dont know. Currently I'm a little intimidated by my light, I have the AI prime HD which is too legit to quit! But it may be more control than I know how to handle, can anyone give me some bearing as to light intensities and color settings? My tank is still in its first cycle so I have time but wanting to get ahead of this for when it's ready for bigger living things.... I'd also like any recomendations you have for a first timer!

Hi Capt3ob,

Welcome to saltwater:)
I hope you will like this new experience!
What tank do you have?

Zhenya

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I recently set up the same tank. Since I was adding corals from an existing tank I set my prime to acclimation mode for 1 month so the corals can get used to the new lighting. I'm assuming you do not have corals yet, but when you add them, the acclimation setting shoukd be helpful to you as well:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back