New to reefkeeping - Euphyllia behaviour

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I have the purple and gold torch in the picture. Photo isn't great but the gold is just breathtaking.

It's my first coral and I put it in a week ago when I finally felt the water quality was pretty good after cycling the tank for a couple of months. Currently no detectable ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. It has a fair amount of flow but isn't being battered or whipped around. I'm using t5/led hybrid on about 70% power at its peak.

I've read quite a bit about torches and other euphyllia retracting for long periods. Mine seems to retract and extend regularly, like from one hour to the next. At first I thought it might be getting disturbed when I clean the glass but basically it seems to retract at any time and only takes an hour or two to come back out again. When it does come out it is rarely fully extended.

Just wondering if this is normal behaviour or whether there is something I need to look in to.

torch.jpeg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will retract often, and eventually you may notice a pattern for your system. But if it's rarely fully extended then it isn't truly "happy" in your system yet. If it's only been a week in your system then it may need more time to adjust. Remember that even though your system may be "cycled" it won't be truly mature for a while and you'll still see lots of changes. For now just give it time and make sure everything stays as stable as possible :)

OP
OP
Punchanello

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks AcroNem.

The system is very young. Glad to hear they do retract and expand regularly. I'm just happy that it isn't fuly retracted for long periods for the moment. Hopefully over time with will spend more time fully inflated.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back