New to the forum

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
New to the forum thought I try my hand at a thread. I've been reefing for almost two years now mostly dealing with softies and zoas in a biocube setup. My friend gave me his old broken down 28 gallon tank because he was leaving for overseas and couldn't take care of it anymore. So the tank has been up and running for almost three and a half months now. I decided now was the time to add some corals to the mix. In a mix up with the order online, I ended up getting more than the 2 frags I ordered. So now I have a different variaty of mostly LPS and other corals in the tank. Had them for almost three weeks now and they have all opened up and look quite nice.
Corals:
Blasto
Acan or micro?
blue steel zoas
lava burst ricordea
blue/purple ricordea
Green flower pot (only one I'm worried about):squigglemouth:
Duncan
Christmas tree favia
full tank jun10 2013.jpg
Duncans 10 june 13.jpg
Christmas favia 10 june 13.jpg
Blasto feeding 10 jun 13.jpg
Flower pot 10 jun 13.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot to mention my levels
pH:8.4
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:20-30ppm (lfs measured 15ppm)
calcium: 420ppm
Alkalinity: 8dkh
My nitrates are extremely high due to a problem with a marineland maxi jet 600 suction cups coming off the glass, about a week ago, and completely moving my sand bed from one side of the tank to the other. The sand in the tank is 3 years old and it really stirred up some stuff. I have since replaced the Marineland with a Koralia 600. I have gotten the levels down from 80ppm (the spike killed my goby and clownfish, how I knew something was wrong) with water changes and daily cleaning of the HOB filter pads. My question with this is that all the corals seem to be doing fine if not better with some nutrients in the water, how concerned should i be with a nitrate level this high? And is the HOB filter doing anything at all? I have chaeto algae in a soap dish under the HOB and seems to be helping. What else can I do to get these nitrates down?

P.S. Im in the process of trying my second attempt at a DIY protein skimmer.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 20% water change if not more to dilute the nitrates further. Do the chaeto get any light there?
Fern

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The T5's are basically right over the soap box, although I was wondering if I should just go ahead and cut a nice piece outta the top to let more light in? I just didn't want the chaeto to spread to the main tank. I wasn't sure if it could spread by breaking off since this is my first time using macro.
I did a water change yesterday and I'm planning one for tomorrow, as it seems to be help bring the nitrates down. Since the spike I have done a 50% change over two days then a 20% every other day after that so tomorrow will be the third 20%. I guess im wondering when I can let the live rock take over, since im spending alot of time going to the store to get RO water?

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live rock will not lower your nitrates.That's what the water changes are for.
The chaeto definitely will need better lighting to grow. The chato will grow from broken pieces, I just use my long tweezers when i see a strand in my display tank, no big deal.
Very nice tank btw. Love the coral you have so far.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! Welcome to R2R!! Nice tank!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh...I thought that the bacteria in the live rock denitrified the nitrate into nitrogen? Thanks for the advice on the chaeto, gonna cut the top off the soap dish when i get back home.

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB question

Does anyone have an opinion on running the HOB filters? I've never used them for a saltwater tank. Should I keep them running until I can get (or make) a protein skimmer? From everything thing I keep reading on the forum they are a nitrate factory.

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your live rock will not lower your nitrates.That's what the water changes are for.
The chaeto definitely will need better lighting to grow. The chato will grow from broken pieces, I just use my long tweezers when i see a strand in my display tank, no big deal.
Very nice tank btw. Love the coral you have so far.

Thanks for the advice. After cutting the top off the soap dish the chaeto ball has returned its dark green color and its deff growing. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive gotten the nitrates down to less than 5ppm (API test) :becky:. I did one final 20% water change, just to make a point to the nitrates, and my water got a little cloudy. Now its been two days since the change and its still cloudy. Was wondering if anyone could tell me what is causing the cloudiness? I did put a Seachem Purigen in the HOB a day before the WC, which i thought was supposed to help with water clarity!?
-All other water parameters are in check and corals are all open with good color.

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So everything in the tank has finally settled down and the levels are all spot on. I have even witnessed thousands of what I assume are copepods (red macroscopic crustaceans) in the water column the past couple nights. This is what Ive been waiting for and made an addition that Ive planning since starting the tank.

This guy(no name yet)
mandrian.jpg

Been at the lfs for about a month and a half and seen him eat prepared foods so Im super stoked he can live happily in the tank.

OP
OP
S

strange_reefer13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a couple other additions, couldn't help myself. Also re-did the aquascape

New Aquascape
new aquascape.jpg

From Reef Pets:peace:
Superman acan.jpg
27.jpg
picture doesn't do the chalice justice

Got this little guy from the lfs. Said it was a florida orange paly?
27.jpg
27.jpg

sorry about the crapy pictures, from the phone. Also, I don't know how to turn them either. :eek:oh:

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so jealous of your Mandarin!!!!! My wife wants one so bad and we have been holding off till we can find one that will feed on prepared foods.
Like your new rockscape. How is your flowerpot doing? I have ben eyeing one in my local LFS that is vivid hot pink but pricey. I didn't know if it would well for me. Let me know.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 55 47.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 44 37.9%
  • All of the above

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back