New to this... Scuba diving made me do it!

Is 350 or 280 gal tank too big for a first build?

• 350+ is fine

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • 280 would be better

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Under 220

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • under 150

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • you're crazy

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

BTC_Stacker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to all this, but been reading and watching videos for months and think that I'm ready to take the plunge into the reef keeping hobby!

I was scuba diving in the Philippines, Bali, Australia, and Fiji and the sights I saw got me hooked on the diving hobby, but for when I'm at home in the desert of Reno and don't get to jump in the water, I still want to see awesome corals and fish! After seeing some reef tanks at my buddies place in Perth and all the pics I see on this forum and elsewhere, I know I need this in my home!

I'm probably crazy, but I have a tendency to go big or go home, so in that spirit... I've been looking into setting up a 30x96x30 or 24 (350 or 280 gal) mixed reef tank for my first build. Maybe that's being a bit ambitious and larger than I should start with, but I have the space and funding isn't an issue... But I know it is going to be a sizable investment and want to make sure I do it right from the beginning! Any suggestions on aquarium builders for that size? I've been looking at custom aquariums, but still shopping. Am I crazy trying to start this large?! Once populated with frags and fish, I expect to spend roughly 10-15k$ and still have a fairly empty tank with small frags that need time to grow, so I'm aware that this is a serious investment of time and money, but I need this in my life! I'll be doing a lot more reading and research, any tips or reading material suggestions would be appreciated!

I'll be placing the tank against a wall with a basement directly below, so I won't have any issues reinforcing the floor for the 5,000 lb load. There is space in the basement for reservoirs for auto water changes as well. The basement is unfinished and below plumbing but I think it could be used as an auto water change reservoir room or something. I do like to travel so I plan to add as much automation as possible, so I'm sure I'll need to figure out some auto water change system and numerous fail safes for everything... Can anyone tell me how much time I should expect to spend maintaining my tank if it is mostly automated? I understand the glass still needs regular cleaning and auto feeders and water change tanks need to be refilled, and sand should be vacuumed regularly. I have the time to do these things, but would be nice to have an idea of the ongoing regular maintenance time commitment I'm signing up for.

This is going to be a big project! I'm not sure if I'm more nervous or excited to start!

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R...I know what you mean as a diver myself...Would have been in the Gulf right now, but weather a little difficult.

Concerning the voting, you need to add "Who cares, I'm doing it anyway..." ;Woot

giphy.gif

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the deep end of the pool and welcome to R2R! I always think I should have gone bigger with my first tank. You'll eventually upgrade anyways :) Hope you have space for that future 500g :p Looking forward to seeing the tank! Cheers!

giphy.gif

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Brand new to all this, but been reading and watching videos for months and think that I'm ready to take the plunge into the reef keeping hobby!

I was scuba diving in the Philippines, Bali, Australia, and Fiji and the sights I saw got me hooked on the diving hobby, but for when I'm at home in the desert of Reno and don't get to jump in the water, I still want to see awesome corals and fish! After seeing some reef tanks at my buddies place in Perth and all the pics I see on this forum and elsewhere, I know I need this in my home!

I'm probably crazy, but I have a tendency to go big or go home, so in that spirit... I've been looking into setting up a 30x96x30 or 24 (350 or 280 gal) mixed reef tank for my first build. Maybe that's being a bit ambitious and larger than I should start with, but I have the space and funding isn't an issue... But I know it is going to be a sizable investment and want to make sure I do it right from the beginning! Any suggestions on aquarium builders for that size? I've been looking at custom aquariums, but still shopping. Am I crazy trying to start this large?! Once populated with frags and fish, I expect to spend roughly 10-15k$ and still have a fairly empty tank with small frags that need time to grow, so I'm aware that this is a serious investment of time and money, but I need this in my life! I'll be doing a lot more reading and research, any tips or reading material suggestions would be appreciated!

I'll be placing the tank against a wall with a basement directly below, so I won't have any issues reinforcing the floor for the 5,000 lb load. There is space in the basement for reservoirs for auto water changes as well. The basement is unfinished and below plumbing but I think it could be used as an auto water change reservoir room or something. I do like to travel so I plan to add as much automation as possible, so I'm sure I'll need to figure out some auto water change system and numerous fail safes for everything... Can anyone tell me how much time I should expect to spend maintaining my tank if it is mostly automated? I understand the glass still needs regular cleaning and auto feeders and water change tanks need to be refilled, and sand should be vacuumed regularly. I have the time to do these things, but would be nice to have an idea of the ongoing regular maintenance time commitment I'm signing up for.

This is going to be a big project! I'm not sure if I'm more nervous or excited to start!

Welcome!!! Also a diver here (diving also made me become a reefer).

Just a suggestion, it´s like drugs or passion.

Once you´re in and in love you can never stop it ;)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

The only thing with a big tank to start is that it will be extremely daunting because of the sheer size.

If your not concerned go for it, but you might be better with a ‘largish’ one of around 150 to start

Ive got both, and the big one was ’very big’ and daunting when it arrived!

Maybe check out the monster build threads as well

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back