Newbie here! Need inputs

Tammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Came across this forum while trying to get info on how to setup a saltwater tank.I Have had freshwater tanks for last 7-8 yrs. Even got a chance to setup a nursery tank in my tank by catching frys as they were being born, since i had guppies, mollys breeding. While that has been fun, I have always been intrigued by the salties, just how absolutely breathtaking "Under the ocean" world is....

With that being said, I want to start small coz dont want to blow my budget, so looking at fully stocked starter kit tanks. So questions I have are pretty basic. I plan on going to my local fish store n not big brand stores. Live sand n live rock are the only things I will take. So after setting up these 2 initially:
1. how long before introducing fish n which fish are the best for tanks less than 30 gal or even a nano tank of 12 gallons? also want to make it into a reef tank later with minimal fish not more than 4.

2.Also once the fish acclimate for a month or 2 which soft corals are good for a newbie? Plan to keep simple soft ones only...

3. Can someone also direct me towards a post that discusses how to and more importantly WHAT to feed both fish n coral?

Thanks for all the advice in Advance!!!

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to R2R and welcome to the saltwater hobby!! to answer your first question it all depends on how you want to cycle the tank... i do recommend fishless cycling because that way you don't expose the fish to any lethal ammonia and nitrites that tend to spike during cycling its best to wait about a week or two depending on the system it may be more... i would also set up a small quarantine system and start quarantining the fish to ensure they're healthy before adding o the display tank, just a thought... and to answer the second question zoanthids, mushrooms, and leather corals are all very easy soft corals to have no need to dose any foods for most corals in general but you will see some better growth rates with food...

OP
OP
Tammie

Tammie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Oscar n twilliard , those r the corals i was lookin at... of course i plan to cycle fishless, then fish cycle then corals in the end. so 2 weeks is what it needs to cycle fishless or more with just live rock n live sand?

Is there a chart or thread somewhere showin which fish n which coral combos are best?

Hi, welcome to R2R and welcome to the saltwater hobby!! to answer your first question it all depends on how you want to cycle the tank... i do recommend fishless cycling because that way you don't expose the fish to any lethal ammonia and nitrites that tend to spike during cycling its best to wait about a week or two depending on the system it may be more... i would also set up a small quarantine system and start quarantining the fish to ensure they're healthy before adding o the display tank, just a thought... and to answer the second question zoanthids, mushrooms, and leather corals are all very easy soft corals to have no need to dose any foods for most corals in general but you will see some better growth rates with food...
s of course

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use live rock because you never know whats on it.... in my opinion use dry rock and live sand and maybe use instant ocean bacteria to start the cycle then throw in a shrimp.... test the water, and when the water shows ammonia to be 0 and nitrite to be 0 and nitrate very low close to 0 thats when it would be safest to add your fish, maybe some clowns, or gobies would be nice, wrasses too... my 40 gallon took me about 2 weeks to cycle with dry rock and live sand but thats not always the same for everyone.. and with zoanthids and leathers and mushrooms i personally like to look at how they fluoresce and choose them based on just colors that i like...

aythatguy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly that. Bought a new 29 Gallon Coralife Biocube. I'm now 3 1/2 months in. I have soft corals only as well.

But also keep in mind that even with a smaller tank things are still very pricey.

I have over $1200 in this 29 gallon cube!

And it's just basic things to get it going.

Check out my past post to see pics

I used natural sea water I purchased offline, and I used all live rock in my tank. Only hitchhiker I have found is a small brittle star. Which I enjoy.

Since I went the natural sea water, live sand, and live rock (transported in water) I had very little to no cycle.

I waited two weeks (testing parameters daily) and added a damsel, 5 hermets

Waited two more weeks and took him back to the lfs and got 2 clownfish and 5 snails

Tested waters again a week later and added a cleaner shrimp

Tested again a week later and added a Bangaii cardinal

aythatguy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1482181899.122393.jpg

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did exactly that. Bought a new 29 Gallon Coralife Biocube. I'm now 3 1/2 months in. I have soft corals only as well.

But also keep in mind that even with a smaller tank things are still very pricey.

I have over $1200 in this 29 gallon cube!

And it's just basic things to get it going.

Check out my past post to see pics

I used natural sea water I purchased offline, and I used all live rock in my tank. Only hitchhiker I have found is a small brittle star. Which I enjoy.

Since I went the natural sea water, live sand, and live rock (transported in water) I had very little to no cycle.

I waited two weeks (testing parameters daily) and added a damsel, 5 hermets

Waited two more weeks and took him back to the lfs and got 2 clownfish and 5 snails

Tested waters again a week later and added a cleaner shrimp

Tested again a week later and added a Bangaii cardinal

welcome aboard!

+1 I ended up getting into the hobby 3 years ago out of wanting some new pet friends. I went with a Biocube 29 also. after my first $300 purchase, I was soon close to your tally by the time my first fish hit the tank(take into mind I did a lot of the recommended biocube upgrades). Not trying to discourage you with price. You just don't want to cut any corners in this hobby and its better to do it right from the start.

Everyone else seemed to point you in the right direction for rock/sand and cycling.

Good luck happy reefing!

aythatguy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also purchased small $5 frags of zoanthids, a Kenya tree, pulsing Xenia, and a green star polyp that didn't make it for some reason.

aythatguy26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the bioballs from chamber 2. Made a diy media basket to go into chamber 2 and used fiber fill on the top of the basket, chemipure elite 2nd, and purigen third.

I also removed the elbow joint from the stock pump and replaced the tubing from the pump with a size that would fit directly onto the output nozzle for a little better flow on the stock return pump. Stock lighting for softies. And a protein skimmer and heater in chamber 1. Here's a pic of the backside of my tank.
IMG_1482182273.712021.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I would have linked the thread @twilliard did above. Covers the basics very well. Most important thing to remember is to not be in a hurry. Slow and steady wins the race here.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I would have linked that article as well. It will give you a solid base knowledge to build on. Take it slow and always QT. :)

SalinFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome to a life long passion. There is a wealth of knowledge here, use it to your best advantage. Enjoy!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back