Newbie - Inverts Only (So Far)

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Eric, Welcome to the salty family! This can be a simple or as complicated as you make it. I think we all dip in in different depths of the pool and that is totally OK. Some love the science side, others just what looks pretty. We are all one big, supportive, salty family.... with slightly less dysfunction than a typical Thanksgiving.
Turkey GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Later bought some cultured live rock from local PetCo which introduced some unusual (to me) new life forms that I didn’t expect but I think is all good, at least cool/interesting — snails, copepods, bristleworms

Those rocks from Petco usually have nice starter colonies of Aiptasia

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also thought I accidentally redirected to NASA when I found something about “CO2 scrubbers.”

You were more likely directed here by NASA. We also openly discuss chemical warfare here as many of us have experienced it first hand. Not for the faint of heart.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Howdy,,, new to aquariums and found this site. Cool!

I’m seeing discussions like, “running a QT, waiting on new DT, <something, something> diatom and some GHA”

…so far, my thoughts are What the heck?

Also thought I accidentally redirected to NASA when I found something about “CO2 scrubbers.”

Anyway, learning a lot here in the reef2reef forums. Here’s my life story (aquarium-wise):
  1. Got FREE 5 gallon jellyfish aquarium — in-law got as a gift years ago and never used.
  2. Jellyfish went well (for the most part) for about 1.5 years.
…after last jellyfish finally disintegrated into nothing, figured water and substrate was already established so bought:
— a chocolate chip starfish
— 2 tiny hermit crabs
— 2 small snails

Jellyfish tank (old-style that they don’t seem to make anymore) didn’t seem ideal so:
  1. Moved everything into a 10 gallon aquarium we had from a gecko long ago.
  2. Next bought 37 gallon started kit (tank/pump/heater/hood/LED/etc) on sale (allegedly) for like $110.
  3. Later bought some cultured live rock from local PetCo which introduced some unusual (to me) new life forms that I didn’t expect but I think is all good, at least cool/interesting — snails, copepods, bristleworms
  4. Lastly threw in a pack of 5 brittle stars that came with a clump of cheato (so I did the cheapie “cheato soap dish” thing I saw on this forum).

*Current status — original chocolate chip starfish and hermit crabs/snails are all going strong after about 2.5 months so I think that’s good.

Invertebrates only (‘cause I think they look cool) but might go for a clown fish or two in the near future if my kids ever get interested (…which they really haven’t as much as I had expected).

Wish me luck!
Peace,
Eric

...the "star" of the show (cheesy/sorry):
starfish2.JPG
Welcome and good luck!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,,, new to aquariums and found this site. Cool!

I’m seeing discussions like, “running a QT, waiting on new DT, <something, something> diatom and some GHA”

…so far, my thoughts are What the heck?

Anyway, learning a lot here in the reef2reef forums. Here’s my life story (aquarium-wise):
  1. Got FREE 5 gallon jellyfish aquarium — in-law got as a gift years ago and never used.
  2. Jellyfish went well (for the most part) for about 1.5 years.
…after last jellyfish finally disintegrated into nothing, figured water and substrate was already established so bought:
— a chocolate chip starfish
— 2 tiny hermit crabs
— 2 small snails

Jellyfish tank (old-style that they don’t seem to make anymore) didn’t seem ideal so:
  1. Moved everything into a 10 gallon aquarium we had from a gecko long ago.
  2. Next bought 37 gallon started kit (tank/pump/heater/hood/LED/etc) on sale (allegedly) for like $110.
  3. Later bought some cultured live rock from local PetCo which introduced some unusual (to me) new life forms that I didn’t expect but I think is all good, at least cool/interesting — snails, copepods, bristleworms
  4. Lastly threw in a pack of 5 brittle stars that came with a clump of cheato (so I did the cheapie “cheato soap dish” thing I saw on this forum).

*Current status — original chocolate chip starfish and hermit crabs/snails are all going strong after about 2.5 months so I think that’s good.

Invertebrates only (‘cause I think they look cool) but might go for a clown fish or two in the near future if my kids ever get interested (…which they really haven’t as much as I had expected).

Wish me luck!
Peace,
Eric

...the "star" of the show (cheesy/sorry):
starfish2.JPG
Welcome!

Glad you joined!

Mine started paying more attention once I asked to have everything given names. Still spends more time watching videos and playing games, but its summer break for kids... Knows enough to feed which came in handy when I was on travel and dad was too sick to get off couch for couple days. Still comes by for a bit each day just to watch tank, so I feel its a family hobby (but like every family pet, mom gets to take care of it...)

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back