OP
joshvito

joshvito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good - def more light on that left column now! will you be able to clean the glass on that side of the tank near it? prob not a big deal but i like having enough room to get a magfloat or something by it to clean it off.

tested water recently? tank's been up for a bit now ya?
There is probably enough room to get a two little fishies nanomag on the left hand side.
Going to do a water change this week and move the tank to a more even surface. I wil test and post after.

love your rockwork so far. I would always recommend Mushroom corals to anyone, beginner or expert....maybe keep them on the shaded side of that left rock?
Fish I would recommend either a small goby or a six-line wrasse not much else does well in a 10g. You can always do what I do though which is dedicate it to Inverts :) Plan on breeding Sexy Shrimp in the future.
Good Luck with the tank!
Thanks! I was thinking about only shrimp, specifically anemone shrimp. I think sexy shrimp anemone shrimp!.?

OP
OP
joshvito

joshvito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished moving the tank to a more level location in my fish room. Im using an old piece of discarded furniture for a stand.
Changed 5gallons of water too. I'll include a shot of the tank, even though the water is a bit cloudy from me stirring it up.
I think I'm going to keep waiting a bit, as I still haven't picked up any parameter testing supplies.

45cc0a27-ebfc-dba3.jpg

SG - 1.026

TFCEC Member
Join a local fish club.
www.tropical-fish-club-of-erie-county.com

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great man! I wish I had a fish room lol! Next apartment will have one for sure :)

Sexy Shrimp are super cool! +1 on the mushrooms! Also - most zoas (idk about high end ones) are pretty sturdy. GSP (green star polyps) are also sturdy - but kinda prolific.

for inverts - they have goby/shrimp pairs that are dope. not sure of minimum tank size - but the symbiotic relationship thing i find pretty interesting to watch

OP
OP
joshvito

joshvito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube_share;RtXpBYEiFKg]http://youtu.be/RtXpBYEiFKg[/video]
Performed a 50% water change today. Afterwards, I noticed these starfish crawling around. I shut off the pumps and lights while I was changing the water. Is this my the starfish emerged? I imagine they are nocturnal.

As there is no fish or coral or invertebrate in the tank, I am not feeding? How can/are these starfish alive?

TFCEC Member
Join a local fish club.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You would be surprised at what they can survive through! Tank is looking good!

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far bro! Bummer about the surface scum :( I'm suprised you have so much - I have a standard 10g too but never had surface scum on my water. Low flow in my tank caused cyano outbreaks but that's it

My buddy has a Rio filter with a surface skimmer built on. Also - Aquaclear sells an attachment for their HOB filters that is a surface skimmer (not sure how well they work)

Possible you just need a stronger HOB filter?

solar

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angle the powerhead more toward the water surface to agitate it and the problem will be solved :D

OP
OP
joshvito

joshvito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I angled the power head and used some newspaper to manually remove as much scum as possible.

I picked up a lexan sheet and some silicone at the hardware store. I think I will make a small internal skimmer box.

TFCEC Member
Join a local fish club.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey make sure and document the process!

OP
OP
joshvito

joshvito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still having surface scum issue?

I manually cleared most of it. I'm waiting to see if it returns. Planned 50% change in the next day or so.

If it doesnt improve, I'll create a little in tank surface skimmer for the power filter to pull from.

Side question- anyone work with acrylic? What do you use to glue? Or should I use silicone?

TFCEC Member
Join a local fish club.

OP
OP
joshvito

joshvito

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still have a lot of algae. Pulled as much out as I could with a water change today. I'm not adding anything but RO water for top offs. Could my RO have too much nutrients?

I have a 3 stage unit. It has a 5 micron/carbon a 1micron/carbon and a 25gpd membrane. The TDS of the good water is 10 and my tap water is ~170.

Any help would be awesome.

TFCEC Member
Join a local fish club.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Full frame

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back