dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R family! ihave a lawnmower Blenny that i am happy with, a clown, a springeri damsel that is sociable, and a few mollies, (had three, lost one, but have a bout 6 fry)
I became interested in SW but what tipped the scale was seeing a tank in a friend's home. so good for your son!

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! To answering one of your questions. Orchids are among the most docile of the dortybacks! Sociable even!!! A while back when I couldn’t find assessors to save my life, in my research I found many tanks with multiple orchids living together and it was beautiful! I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a group of 5 when my husband tracked (more like viciously hunted lol) down our assessors.
1E8F1A27-D913-4D25-B1C9-A1B17C110385.gif

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! To answering one of your questions. Orchids are among the most docile of the dortybacks! Sociable even!!! A while back when I couldn’t find assessors to save my life, in my research I found many tanks with multiple orchids living together and it was beautiful! I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on a group of 5 when my husband tracked (more like viciously hunted lol) down our assessors.
1E8F1A27-D913-4D25-B1C9-A1B17C110385.gif
Thanks for your reply, I’m not sure what assessors means (I’m from the US )

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply, I’m not sure what assessors means (I’m from the US )
Hahahaha so am I! Lol. An assessor is a type of fish. I have yellow and Randall’s assessors personally. Like these!!!
7A52136D-72DC-4D69-85C5-2BFB7AE21EDF.jpeg
5E9397E6-E5ED-4A51-A7AB-79DDB1CEB0C6.jpeg

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Now... about these “Assessors” are they known by another name as well? And, what can you share about them?
Mini groupers, mini roundheads, sometimes basslets or devilfish. But if I’m not mistaken of those, other than assessor that is relatively correct is mini roundhead and devilfish. They are rugged little fish, mostly pretty docile unless you have a breeding pair or yellows, in which case the male will protect the egg ball pretty ferociously. The Randall’s are mouth brooders and both the male and female get a bit territorial when they have a brood. I’ve never kept the macneilli species but I look forward to possibly keeping a pair in my dedicated SPS system in the build process now. From what I’ve read they are a bit more territorial from the get go and get a little larger so they will most likely be the only assessors in that 125. Right now my breeding pairs of yellow and Randall’s coexisted together with an orange shoulder tang, and a young flameback angel and young spotted mandarin in my mixed reef. There is some infighting but it’s mostly just minor chasing for a split second and then done. If you have any questions at all I will do my best to answer them!!!

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!!! Most importantly!!!! Kinda... they like to swim in any orientation they please at that moment... upside down sideways head up head down you name it lol. Mine also in rare occasions do pirouettes when they know food is incoming! Hahaha

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini groupers, mini roundheads, sometimes basslets or devilfish. But if I’m not mistaken of those, other than assessor that is relatively correct is mini roundhead and devilfish. They are rugged little fish, mostly pretty docile unless you have a breeding pair or yellows, in which case the male will protect the egg ball pretty ferociously. The Randall’s are mouth brooders and both the male and female get a bit territorial when they have a brood. I’ve never kept the macneilli species but I look forward to possibly keeping a pair in my dedicated SPS system in the build process now. From what I’ve read they are a bit more territorial from the get go and get a little larger so they will most likely be the only assessors in that 125. Right now my breeding pairs of yellow and Randall’s coexisted together with an orange shoulder tang, and a young flameback angel and young spotted mandarin in my mixed reef. There is some infighting but it’s mostly just minor chasing for a split second and then done. If you have any questions at all I will do my best to answer them!!!
Thank again, I really appreciate the info

OP
OP
kimbericson

kimbericson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the hobby since I was 8, its an awesome way to bond... me and my father had many laughs over water changes.. I couldnt carry the bucket!! LOL

Maybe my new channel would be helpful enjoy!

Thanks, I watched your first 2 videos.
I am intrigued by the Christmas Tree Worm Rock!
What can you share about that? The care of it?

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I watched your first 2 videos.
I am intrigued by the Christmas Tree Worm Rock!
What can you share about that? The care of it?
Can check out my thread on it here!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 111 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back