Newish tank, diatom deaths!

tomb18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 clown fish and a hang on refugium.
After about 6 weeks I got the usual brown diatom cover on gravel and rocks. Nothing too serious. I reduced the light to about 3 hours a day and then pretty well the diatoms started diminishing.
They were almost gone, and then they were completely gone and the tank is now cloudy, whitish.
Looking in the sump, there is a ton of deposits on the bottom, brownish white. I presume this is the dead diatoms.
I will vacuum them out. I have not seen this before so I was wondering if this is a common occurrence?
Nh3 0, no3 p, phosphate 0.00
Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Diatoms are derived from inorganics and silicates
It generally hovers for about 12 weeks then subsidies
Continue with your light schedule.... siphon as needed and add bacteria weekly.
Nassarius and asters snails and sand sifting stars may help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
After about 6 weeks I got the usual brown diatom cover on gravel and rocks. Nothing too serious. I reduced the light to about 3 hours a day and then pretty well the diatoms started diminishing.
They were almost gone, and then they were completely gone and the tank is now cloudy, whitish.
Looking in the sump, there is a ton of deposits on the bottom, brownish white. I presume this is the dead diatoms.
I will vacuum them out. I have not seen this before so I was wondering if this is a common occurrence?
Thanks.
Common -yes

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
0 phosphate and nitrate is often sign of dinos. Get a cheap microscope and ID it. If I were you I would either dose po4 and no3 or remove nitrate or phosphate removal media.
As @Madonia said 0 is not a good number for those.
My Dinos have started with the same symptoms. And that was a 3 months fight

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back