Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Can't wait to hear your feedback. Please keep me updated.

So, it took me a while to finally get my lighting set up over the new frag tank but I'm happy to say that it's FINALLY done. I haven't played with the nicrew controller much yet, but so far, so good. It will indeed control 10x50w hyperreef led's. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the nicrew controller controls the lights in 5% Increments where as the kessil does so in 1% Increments. I'll add more feedback once I start doing some programming.

Attachments

• 20220616_190936.jpg
    20220616_190936.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 154

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, it took me a while to finally get my lighting set up over the new frag tank but I'm happy to say that it's FINALLY done. I haven't played with the nicrew controller much yet, but so far, so good. It will indeed control 10x50w hyperreef led's. The only thing I've noticed so far is that the nicrew controller controls the lights in 5% Increments where as the kessil does so in 1% Increments. I'll add more feedback once I start doing some programming.
Wow ... Very nice DIY lighting overhang (for lack of a better word)!

FWIW,,, I used an old Kessil Spectral controller (model A) to control (individually) a couple of mis-matched LEDs, including a Nicrew HyperReef for a while so will just note the following...

While Kessil controller ramped smoothly in 1% increments (as you mentioned):
-- Nicrew HyperReef LED worked but not perfectly ... almost as if the smooth voltage swing wasn't what it was expecting
-- While, simultaneously, Kessil LED worked perfectly (obviously)

***just mentioning as food for thought into perhaps why the Nicrew controller (which looks like some form of knock-off from the Kessil) does 5% jumps,,, if I read that correctly

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
While performing the first water change for my new frag/growout tank I noticed something about the nicrew controller. While it does indeed only let you program in 5% Increments, it ramps up/down smoothly throughout the photo period. That stated, it's more like the Kessil controller than I thought it was.

20220618_172810.jpg

RevRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While performing the first water change for my new frag/growout tank I noticed something about the nicrew controller. While it does indeed only let you program in 5% Increments, it ramps up/down smoothly throughout the photo period. That stated, it's more like the Kessil controller than I thought it was.

20220618_172810.jpg
Keep the updates coming. They are greatly appreciated!!

Andrew22222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone tell me if these lights have the 0-10v jacks on the back as their video claims. can't find other info but it claims to be controllable through 0-10v which can be done easily with something like reef Pi
Yes input and output on the back of my 150w

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220628_194803.jpg
just got my nicrew 100w for this star polyp nsa I wanted to remove from my reef. It's on a jbj 15g aio. This light is amazing for the price. Wish I knew about the controllerbefore searching for better controls... will order that today.

I was shocked at the monstrous size of this (my own fault, I'm sure the dimensions and weight are on the sale page)... but I expected it to be similar size and weight to my hydra 32s... this thing is easily twice the size and weight.

The mount is supposed to be used on glass 6mm and thicker... this jbj is 5mm so I might need to figure out some more support or a different mounting option. In hindsight I would have grabbed the 50w for this if I had known. So keep that glass thickness in mind before ordering for small tanks. All in all its an amazing light for the price. Will probably get 3 more eventually for a large future tank and then replace this one with a 50w

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hyperreef 150 is powerful! Don't cook your coral!

PAR Meter: Seneye
Tank: Reefer 525 59"L x 22"H x 23.6" W
Existing Lights:
  • Aquatic Life Hybrid T5HO with ATI Aquablue special x2 and ATI actinic x 2 (320W of T5HO)
  • Reef Brite XO 60" Actinic x 2 full power (160W blue LED)
Above lights suspended 8" above the water surface. PAR measurement 1/2 way down the tank, 10" below the water: 250 PAR

Added the 150W Nicrew by placing it on top of my fixture. It's about 15% obscured by the other lights, so not all of it's reaching the aquarium.

Measurement results with rest of lights, 11" depth in the water, 21" away from the lights, all powerheads on, lots of crap kicked up in the water column:
  • Max Blue, Minimum White: 450 PAR (200 par increase)
  • Max Blue, Max White: 670 PAR (420 par increase)
  • 50% Blue, Minimum White: 380 PAR (130 par increase)
  • Min Blue, Min White 300 PAR (50 par increase)
I'm glad I got the seneye out because I would have bleached my acros! I like to keep the top 50% of my tank free of rockwork, for improved water flow, but 2/3 of my kessils died and I needed a replacement. My acros browned out when they dropped from 450 PAR to 250 PAR and this light's going to do a good job replacing the kessils. I only have acros on the one end of the tank so I got just the one fixture.

The lighting is rather diffuse, and you wouldn't know it's only adding to the left half of the tank. It tricks the eyes, but not the PAR meter. This means one could add them strategically, where needed. I'm beginning to prefer to light according to the corals' needs, and not aim for equal PAR across the entire tank, because that's just arbitrary. These are great little units for blasting a part of the tank which needs it.

These things would be really good mounted 90 degrees, one unit every foot, then dial down the brightness to the desired PAR. I could see these giving the 450-500 PAR acros need, no problem, all by themselves. Think 400W Metal Halide power, when used in multiples, but with dimming capabilities!

4x Hyperreef 150 = $240 CAD x 4 = $960. That's cheaper than my hybrid T5HO fixture alone, before even adding LEDs. These things are a steal, and make me want to get more acro frags.

The only thing that sucks about them is I ordered the controller meant for the 50/100/150 hyperreef lights and it was DOA. I'm sending it back, and holding off on getting another because I'd like to get them hooked up to the 0-10v of my apex first before spending much time on something secondary to my preferred system of control. I need to figure out which pins are which. Another poster referred to pins 1-4 but which is which on a 4 conductor 3.5mm cable? I don't want to hook the 24V output on one of the pins to the wrong thing by accident and fry my apex.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to figure out which pins are which. Another poster referred to pins 1-4 but which is which on a 4 conductor 3.5mm cable? I don't want to hook the 24V output on one of the pins to the wrong thing by accident and fry my apex.
Seems to run off 5v..See post 214 The "outputs" (4 pole jacks) are the 0-10v signal wires..which will interface with the Apex 0-10v analog outs.
Need a bit of verification though.

Ahh I see what you meant..
Pin 1 is blue light intensity, pin 2 is white, pin 3 is +24Vdc (don't use this for apex), pin 4 is common.

Just use a vom set at voltage and probe the jack bands..
Since the unit is powered by the light head finding the pair that gives you 24v isn't difficult.

Or use this..
diagram-png.1949093

Last edited:

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to run off 5v..See post 214 The "outputs" (4 pole jacks) are the 0-10v signal wires..which will interface with the Apex 0-10v analog outs.

Since the unit is powered by the light head finding the pair that gives you 24v isn't difficult.

Or use this..
diagram-png.1949093
That diagram is perfect, makes it so clear! Thanks so much!

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or use this..
diagram-png.1949093
The nicrew controller was dead on arrival but maybe the problem was plugging in the included 4 conductor wire, and the lads making contact with the various channels as it went in, particularly the 24v, which should really be the final connection, at the tip, to avoid sending 24v of current into a circuit meant to deliver power, not receive it. In light of this info, I'm holding off on connecting it to my apex. I suspect whatever happened to the nicrew controller could happen to my apex.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nicrew controller was dead on arrival but maybe the problem was plugging in the included 4 conductor wire, and the lads making contact with the various channels as it went in, particularly the 24v, which should really be the final connection, at the tip, to avoid sending 24v of current into a circuit meant to deliver power, not receive it. In light of this info, I'm holding off on connecting it to my apex. I suspect whatever happened to the nicrew controller could happen to my apex.
More info.. Note the wiring error..

If this link doesn't take you to the
"faulty but useful" vid just use apex in the q&A search bar.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW if you dont want to make the cable, the Kessil to apex cable does just fine with the nicrew.
I thought the plug was different or something?
Kessil cable is not compatible.
You need a 3.5mm (4 pin) male audio plug.

Ok looks like kessil is 3 pole. That will "short" out the 24/ground by combining one ring and the sleeve, making the collar ground ( how???) according to Nicrew.

Someone needs to do a definitive write up on this mess..between neptunes backward pin configuration and nicrews 24v " rail" it gets messy.

Last edited:

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the plug was different or something?

Ok looks like kessil is 3 pole. That will "short" out the 24/ground by combining one ring and the sleeve, making the collar ground ( how???) according to Nicrew.

Someone needs to do a definitive write up on this mess..between neptunes backward pin configuration and nicrews 24v " rail" it gets messy.
Here is some proof, kessil cable works just fine.

That is the hyperreef 50, I've also owned the 100 and 150.

20220706_092535.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some proof, kessil cable works just fine.

That is the hyperreef 50, I've also owned the 100 and 150.

20220706_092535.jpg

Thanks, that is very helpful.

Any issues dimming below 10%?
Do you cut line power with the relay box eb, energy bar?

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that is very helpful.

Any issues dimming below 10%?
Do you cut line power with the relay box eb, energy bar?
When I was using it regularly, it dims down to 10% no issues, under 10% it will shut off.

I had two of the 150's daisy chained for dimming and would shut them off at the eb8.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back