Nightcrawlers for Corals and Fish

Have you ever used Nightcrawlers for feeding Corals and Fish?

• Yes

Votes: 30 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 540 90.2%
  • Yucky

Votes: 29 4.8%

• Total voters

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've feed my fish earwigs before, they enjoyed it

Interestingly, insects do form a small percentage of the reef diet as some are blown out to sea and drown.

I've seen my Barnacle Blennies take small moths and spiders from the surface with gusto!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not new, but has been forgotten over the years. I've been feeding earthworms occasionally for a few years now in my old nano tank. For the last year I've been feeding once a week since I have a slow feeding Callogobius hasselti that just loves them:

I just use the 'babies' from my compost heap for the fish and also the LPS/Mushrooms.

That was great. The shrimp was trying to play the worm like a guitar!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! It's good to see long term success with such an easy sustainable live food.

The natural reef fish diet is relatively low in fat (~6% if memory serves me correctly). Earthworms are lower in fat than white or grindal worms and IMO are a better long term food source.

Even so, I restrict earthworm feeding to once a week as it is a terrestrial source of nutrition that would make up a very small part (or not at all) of most reef fishes' diets (morso those that live on inshore vs. those that live on oceanic reefs).

Last edited:

Kscope

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I raised nightcrawlers for fishing. Tight box with lid and light. They will escape! Hence their name "Night Crawlers" My recipe was corn meal, coffee grounds, top soil (bagged) and sand. I cant remember the ratios but a similar recipe is here.

http://bluegillfishing.us/raising-nightcrawlers-worms-bait/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even so, I restrict earthworm feeding to once a week as it is a terrestrial source of nutrition that is not naturally a part of most reef fishes' diets.
Yeah I agree. I feed worms on the weekend and New Life Spectrum during the week. I'm mainly trying to fatten up my anemone and lps corals. I just throw a few chunks to the fish as well. I think everyone would like to see how big a lobo head can get:D

Dude60415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I'm subbing to follow along. And going to the garage for some crawlers. Always thought to feed them to the tank and never bothered to try.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fragging fish I feed a few small chunks, Parts is parts.
32084772_377292782774975_8917274223089549312_n.jpg

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a flower pot or such could be kept on the back porch or under the sink,depending on the smell.
It just smells of earthy dirt, nothing crazy. I'm actually going to move mine under the kitchen sink to monitor moisture levels easier. Plus it's getting too hot outside even in the shed.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see your in Florida as well. It is getting too hot . I thought this started early then realized the months have flown by ! Is Anne Maria on the pan handle?
Considering what liquid to use to purge them. I think You said plain water?
wonder if saltwater would work quickly.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see your in Florida as well. It is getting too hot . I thought this started early then realized the months have flown by ! Is Anne Maria on the pan handle?
Considering what liquid to use to purge them. I think You said plain water?
wonder if saltwater would work quickly.
It's in the Tampa Bay area. Just north of Sarasota on the coast. Saltwater might work better, but they seem to freak out under freshwater so I never bothered to use my tank water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back