Nightcrawlers for Corals and Fish

Have you ever used Nightcrawlers for feeding Corals and Fish?

• Yes

Votes: 30 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 540 90.2%
  • Yucky

Votes: 29 4.8%

• Total voters

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using nightcrawlers for about six months with excellent results. I figure they're mostly protein so I still feed a mixture of crushed New Life Spectrum and other dry foods inbetween worm feedings.

european_nightcrawlers3.jpg

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones and LPS are what's mostly being fed the nightcrawlers. I've seen a noticeable difference in size since starting this new regimen. The first picture is when I started 6 months ago. Since then, it has split and almost doubled in size.

20171211_164611-01-01.jpeg

20180528_163343-01.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, do tell . I fed red wrigglers once upon a time . they are smaller the crawlers .I only had fish back then.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse a few and put them in a container. They usually spew out some nasty stuff. So after a few minutes I'll usually rinse them again and the container. After that I cut one up with scissors and feed each piece (1/8-1/4") immediately straight to individual coral mouths. Each piece wriggles for about a minute so you get some agressive feeding responses. The corals practically snatch it from you.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could have a simple worm bed why not earth worms instead of white worms? You could harvest the smallest ones. seems easier than white worm cultures.
Do You buy your worms at the bait shop perhaps?

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could have a simple worm bed why not earth worms instead of white worms? You could harvest the smallest ones. seems easier than white worm cultures.
Do You buy your worms at the bait shop perhaps?
That was my train of thought too. Yes I get them from a bait shop that claims them to be organic, but that's questionable. I keep them in organic soils and peat

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feed White and Grindal Worms, got amazing results from multiple picky fish (Hectors goby & Leopard Wrasse)
Me too! My Banggai Cardinal fish wouldn't touch anything that wasn't alive. This was a very cost effective solution. And there's no rush to really get through them because they seem to live a while.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do You feed the worms? this id interesting to me. I'd also love to give the neighbor kids some bait for fishing in a nearby creek.
according the white worms remain live in the saltwater longer though.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do You feed the worms? this id interesting to me. I'd also love to give the neighbor kids some bait for fishing in a nearby creek.
according the white worms remain live in the saltwater longer though.
I just put some kitchen scraps in there like a few potato chunks and carrot tops. But not too much because I want to avoid potential rot and mold. It's kind of like vermicompost (composting with worms) but on a smaller scale. I'm just trying to keep them alive.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting, I'm just curious what made you start feed night crawlers, that is not something I would have thought of? I'm assuming you bought your first batch at a bait shop and dropped in a new compost pile. Then just feed them from time to time. Correct?

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting, I'm just curious what made you start feed night crawlers, that is not something I would have thought of? I'm assuming you bought your first batch at a bait shop and dropped in a new compost pile. Then just feed them from time to time. Correct?
Well I was feeding blood worms and the store where I was getting live ones shut down. I tried frozen and it didn't go over too well. The fish just spit them back out and some seemed discolored like they didn't freeze right. So I figured worms are worms. Plus I had heard of people using white worms for fish food. So far so good! And yes I got them from a bait shop.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very interesting!

Back