Nightcrawlers for Corals and Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nutrition' started by Reefs of Space, Jun 11, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. No

533 vote(s)
    90.3%
  3. Yucky

29 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

I've been using nightcrawlers for about six months with excellent results. I figure they're mostly protein so I still feed a mixture of crushed New Life Spectrum and other dry foods inbetween worm feedings.

european_nightcrawlers3.jpg

Sabellafella and Jomama like this.

2. Reefs of Space

Anemones and LPS are what's mostly being fed the nightcrawlers. I've seen a noticeable difference in size since starting this new regimen. The first picture is when I started 6 months ago. Since then, it has split and almost doubled in size.

20171211_164611-01-01.jpeg

20180528_163343-01.jpeg

3. mattgsa

mattgsa Active Member R2R Supporter

Will you please elaborate on how to you prepare the night crawlers for feeding?

4. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Yes, do tell . I fed red wrigglers once upon a time . they are smaller the crawlers .I only had fish back then.

Reefs of Space likes this.
  5. Reefs of Space

I rinse a few and put them in a container. They usually spew out some nasty stuff. So after a few minutes I'll usually rinse them again and the container. After that I cut one up with scissors and feed each piece (1/8-1/4") immediately straight to individual coral mouths. Each piece wriggles for about a minute so you get some agressive feeding responses. The corals practically snatch it from you.

Jomama and cracker like this.
  6. Reefs of Space

Red wrigglers work well too.

cracker likes this.
  7. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

One could have a simple worm bed why not earth worms instead of white worms? You could harvest the smallest ones. seems easier than white worm cultures.
    Do You buy your worms at the bait shop perhaps?

8. Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton Well-Known Member

I used to feed White and Grindal Worms, got amazing results from multiple picky fish (Hectors goby & Leopard Wrasse)

Reefs of Space and cracker like this.
  9. Reefs of Space

That was my train of thought too. Yes I get them from a bait shop that claims them to be organic, but that's questionable. I keep them in organic soils and peat

cracker likes this.
  10. Reefs of Space

Me too! My Banggai Cardinal fish wouldn't touch anything that wasn't alive. This was a very cost effective solution. And there's no rush to really get through them because they seem to live a while.

cracker likes this.
  11. cracker

What do You feed the worms? this id interesting to me. I'd also love to give the neighbor kids some bait for fishing in a nearby creek.
    according the white worms remain live in the saltwater longer though.

12. Reefs of Space

I just put some kitchen scraps in there like a few potato chunks and carrot tops. But not too much because I want to avoid potential rot and mold. It's kind of like vermicompost (composting with worms) but on a smaller scale. I'm just trying to keep them alive.

cracker likes this.
  13. mattgsa

mattgsa Active Member R2R Supporter

This is very interesting, I'm just curious what made you start feed night crawlers, that is not something I would have thought of? I'm assuming you bought your first batch at a bait shop and dropped in a new compost pile. Then just feed them from time to time. Correct?

14. Reefs of Space

Well I was feeding blood worms and the store where I was getting live ones shut down. I tried frozen and it didn't go over too well. The fish just spit them back out and some seemed discolored like they didn't freeze right. So I figured worms are worms. Plus I had heard of people using white worms for fish food. So far so good! And yes I got them from a bait shop.

15. Reefs of Space

I'll probably get red worms "wrigglers" next time just because they are smaller and you get more of them by the pound. I also read that they do better in a compost type environment.

Jomama and cracker like this.
  16. cracker

Then You could cull the much smaller baby's .

17. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Very interesting!

larryl and Reefs of Space like this.
  18. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Added a poll! :p

sfin52, DanTer, cracker and 1 other person like this.
  19. Reefs of Space

Yeah then you could avoid cutting them up except for feeding blastos and trumpets. They seem to be the slower eaters in my tank.

20. Reefs of Space

Oh cool thanks man!

sfin52 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted