Nightcrawlers for Corals and Fish

Have you ever used Nightcrawlers for feeding Corals and Fish?

• Yes

Votes: 30 5.0%
  • No

Votes: 540 90.2%
  • Yucky

Votes: 29 4.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I have been interested in composting for a while. Vermiculture greatly speeds up the process. I like the idea of growing my own fish food that also has a dual purpose.
Yes! Any way to make this hobby more sustainable is the right path to take.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding my fish, fresh and salt, earthworms for like 35 years now. They love them, just chop 'em up small. Shrimps, crabs, they go nuts. Only coral I've ever given any is a plate coral, if I remember correctly it spit it out. Didn't hurt it, but I haven't tried again.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very interesting, I'm just curious what made you start feed night crawlers, that is not something I would have thought of? I'm assuming you bought your first batch at a bait shop and dropped in a new compost pile. Then just feed them from time to time. Correct?
Living in the country, digging up worms at one time to go fishing when I was a kid, I thought "Mmm, I bet the tropical fish would love this". Couple worms, a dissecting scalpel and an old cutting board later, and I had neons, angels, gouramis, and others going crazy. Been feeding them straight from the ground ever since.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered using ones I've seen in the dirt, but a lot of people around here use fertilizers and pesticides. They're so cheap and renewable. I'm still working on the first batch I bought 6 months ago.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding my fish, fresh and salt, earthworms for like 35 years now. They love them, just chop 'em up small. Shrimps, crabs, they go nuts. Only coral I've ever given any is a plate coral, if I remember correctly it spit it out. Didn't hurt it, but I haven't tried again.
Definite long term success!

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the corals respond well in my tank. I'm actaully picking up a green plate coral today from a fellow reefer. I'll be sure to test it out. I've fed blastos, acans, lobos, anemones tube and bubble tip, trumpets, and bubble coral whole chunks. I ground some up with a mortar and pestle and fed zoas, palys, mushrooms, hammer, and even chalices. I tried it on an acro but not sure if it took any in.

Dude60415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They love them...
9f758de744fa2fea0e219e090f02aa72.jpg
75149e31f039742a336c53f57f783f3e.jpg
59c68948db1d440ba4808f0eb19d2379.jpg
5d0d08ae7a53c8a6961c44f6b0f595f7.jpg
bd6153f96a5e29d7050f5fa484c0627d.jpg

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, I knew "somebody" that used to feed mice to the triggers at the pet store he worked at in high school.

On the topic, that kinda makes me wonder what other feeders used for reptiles or FW fish would be useful for marine fish. I have to imagine super worms would be excellent.

Edit, found a post talking them up for use in aquaculture and I believe some use them as bait.
http://e-extension.gov.ph/elearning/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=26

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post some culture setup pictures? I bet my anemone would take them, he seems to be avoiding other foods as well, so this would be great.

OP
OP
Reefs of Space

Reefs of Space

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone post some culture setup pictures? I bet my anemone would take them, he seems to be avoiding other foods as well, so this would be great.
It's just a bin with peat and soil in it. You can put dead leaves or shredded up newspaper in there too. Just put some holes in the top of the lid and keep it moist. Also add some kind of food every once in a while, potato, carrot or other non meat scraps.

WB2_Worms.jpg

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night crawlers are huge (6”+ long and as big around as my pinky) so a whole one is a lot of food unless you have pretty big fish or a really big tank. I would have to cut off chunks and then chop up the chunks. I used to feed my FW fish red worms, which are much smaller and thinner. Those you can just pinch off wiggling pieces that most fish can eat. They might work well in a reef tank.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf African Red Worms are the smallest earthworm type that I've worked with (great for raising Killifish and Cichlids). Not sure how their fat content compares to your basic nightcrawler, but they could be a good choice for the apartment dweller since they can be cultured in a small ice chest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back