Nitrate Levels to High

Fish2019

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 31, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater aquariums. I started my tank a week ago and did a water test yesterday. My nitrate levels are at 20 I have no fish in it yet. I was wondering if this is a problem or if it would even itself out.
 
First off, welcome to R2R....you're going to like it here!

That nitrate you are seeing is most likely from the "dry" live rock you've added to your tank....it's going through a cure. Curing rock is when the old organics continue to decay when added to water, and leach out the nitrates and phosphates. Best bet is to do water changes until the cure is done. And this is the one time 100 percent water changes are OK to do.
 
First off, welcome to R2R....you're going to like it here!

That nitrate you are seeing is most likely from the "dry" live rock you've added to your tank....it's going through a cure. Curing rock is when the old organics continue to decay when added to water, and leach out the nitrates and phosphates. Best bet is to do water changes until the cure is done. And this is the one time 100 percent water changes are OK to do.
Thank you! Glad to be here! So I should do 100 percent water changes rather than say 50 percent? Should I buy salt water or continue with mixing it myself?
 
Yes....100% is fine.

And the cost effective way to continue with your tank is to make your own water (or collect natural sea water). And I'm assuming you're also using RO/DI water, and not tap water. If tap water, it is yet another source of nitrates in your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new