Nitrates

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been testing high for Nitrates the last while and thought it was my tank. I decided to check my rodi water after it was mixed with my salt ( Red Sea pro ) to my surprise it measures exactly the same.

So basically I’m not doing any good by doing water changes for nutrient export.

They both are measuring around 15-20 on the Red Sea algae test kit.

My question now is it the rodi water or the salt? I get rodi water from Walmart and will obviously be switching that now and going to my lfs.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test the in mixed water?

And I don't belive Walmart sells rodi. Just ro or distilled

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test the in mixed water?

And I don't belive Walmart sells rodi. Just ro or distilled

22f58eae997f29b92057eeb29406bcb9.png

I use the Primo refillable machine. Is this not RODI water?

To your other question is I tested water in my tank and then freshly mixed saltwater. Both tested the same.

I have not tested just the water from Walmart.

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's for drinking water, not the same but I could be wrong. I'd get a second test verified by another test and or try a different test kit. I'm not a fan of red seas testing kits, especially nitrate.

Well that sucks.

Another question is how do you guys clean the crap that accumulates in the bottom of your mixing jugs?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even being RO only, it won't have that much nitrate in it.

The EPA standard for max nitrate in drinking water is 10 ppm, and presumably this is purified by the RO by at least a factor of 10 beyond the most polluted drinking water allowed.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fellow reefer that used Wal MArt, he would pay attention to the inspection/filter change sticker on the filtration system. At my employers last facility, the tap water had 10 ppm of nitrate. We had a filtration system brought in. I am sure it had to do with the part of town and old piping.

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any residue in my mixing buckets. I use the water an hour or 2 after mixing.

I have a small tank and mix 5 gallons at a time and only change a gallon or two every couple weeks so I have water that sits in a container for a few weeks.

I do keep it aerated with a pump.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, a small amount of nitrite often shows as a lot of nitrate.

Just as an example: We (Tropic Marin) manufacture and sell two Nitrite-Nitrate-Test-Kits. The nitrate : nitrite factor is 100 in the ultra low range Pro version and 50 in the higher range Basic version. I am sure it is similar in other nitrate test kits too since all use the same basic chemistry in reducing some of the nitrate to nitrite and in fact measuring nitrite.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an example: We (Tropic Marin) manufacture and sell two Nitrite-Nitrate-Test-Kits. The nitrate : nitrite factor is 100 in the ultra low range Pro version and 50 in the higher range Basic version. I am sure it is similar in other nitrate test kits too since all use the same basic chemistry in reducing some of the nitrate to nitrite and in fact measuring nitrite.

Thanks very much. Habib of Salifert confirmed this for their kits, but never told us the multiplication factor. :)

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You´re welcome. The multiplication factor may vary among different test kits, depending from the proportion of the nitrate being reduced to nitrite.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hans-Werner

If I understand it in the right way – if I have a nitrite of 0.1 mg/l in my sample – I will read at least 10 mg/l in nitrate with your pro test?

Another question – which salinity is your tests adjusted to ?

Sincerely Lasse

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse, this is correct. With 0.1 ppm nitrite you will have a 10 ppm higher reading of nitrate. Usually this is no big problem since most aquaria with low nitrate concentrations have low nitrite concentrations too. Exceptions are for example aquaria with sulfur nitrate reductors and incomplete nitrate reduction to nitrite. The nitrate reductor releases nitrite which simulates high nitrate concentrations. Then I get a call that "the test kit is not reading correct because I have a nitrate reductor and the test shows a high nitrate concentration".

The test is adjusted to and calibrated at normal saltwater conditions 35 PSU salinity but it also works with freshwater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back