NITRATES!

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I have been trying to lower my nitrates for weeks now! Every few days or once a week I lose a fish. Other fish in the tank barely swim, I thought maybe they’re just lazy. I have zero ammonia, nitrites, my ph was low but got a reef buffer and that increased my ph. I am running hyposalinty because my DT has Ich but screw it I purchases copper power and will be dosing my tank once my salinity is up, it’s currently 1.010, I’ll be slowly increasing it. Im pulling my hair because my nitrates will not go down. I replaced my purigen, carbon, was still high. I purchased filters and replaced them and did a 50 gallon water change, total system is 200 gallon and the nitrates still look the same! What in the world is going on?!!!?? This is tick*ng me off! I’ve done multiple water changes with the old filters and now even with the new it’s the same. I use purigen, carbon and these rinseable then eventually replaceable green filter balls from pet o. I see seachem has a de nitrate which looks like some sort of bio pellets. Can someone please suggest how to lower nitrates! Or what to use in my filter canisters?! Please, I’m about to throw my 200 gallon system out, what am I not getting.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I have been trying to lower my nitrates for weeks now! Every few days or once a week I lose a fish. Other fish in the tank barely swim, I thought maybe they’re just lazy. I have zero ammonia, nitrites, my ph was low but got a reef buffer and that increased my ph. I am running hyposalinty because my DT has Ich but screw it I purchases copper power and will be dosing my tank once my salinity is up, it’s currently 1.010, I’ll be slowly increasing it. Im pulling my hair because my nitrates will not go down. I replaced my purigen, carbon, was still high. I purchased filters and replaced them and did a 50 gallon water change, total system is 200 gallon and the nitrates still look the same! What in the world is going on?!!!?? This is tick*ng me off! I’ve done multiple water changes with the old filters and now even with the new it’s the same. I use purigen, carbon and these rinseable then eventually replaceable green filter balls from pet o. I see seachem has a de nitrate which looks like some sort of bio pellets. Can someone please suggest how to lower nitrates! Or what to use in my filter canisters?! Please, I’m about to throw my 200 gallon system out, what am I not getting.
1669734761047.jpeg

My water test results for reference

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But you you have not told us what your "high nitrate" number is.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
salinity is up, it’s currently 1.010
That's really low on Salinity. Almost brackish at that point I'd think. I would definitely get that up. It may even mess with the beneficial bacteria you're needing. I think 1.010 is around 25/26ppt? 25ppt is considered brackish, and say if you have a clownfish, they can't live in brackish water.

I'm new to the hobby and just trying to help also lol

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bio balls and a canister filter is your nitrate factory.. need a sump with skimmer, fuge and start carbon dosing if needed.. activated carbon will not help..

I've heard this a couple of times and heard different as well. I run a cannister on mine with Seachem Matrix. My nitrates have never been over 10ppm. So, in my experience I haven't seen high nitrates because of that. But I've only been running the tank about 4 months

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really low on Salinity. Almost brackish at that point I'd think. I would definitely get that up. It may even mess with the beneficial bacteria you're needing. I think 1.010 is around 25/26ppt? 25ppt is considered brackish, and say if you have a clownfish, they can't live in brackish water.

I'm new to the hobby and just trying to help also lol
Good catch! I skimmed right over that value in the OP.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, the nitrate is not whats killing your fish. Very few species are sensitive to nitrates at that level, and its usually reserved for sharks and rays. Even at 160 thats not near fish harming level of nitrates. Your issue with fish dying is something else entirely.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this a couple of times and heard different as well. I run a cannister on mine with Seachem Matrix. My nitrates have never been over 10ppm. So, in my experience I haven't seen high nitrates because of that. But I've only been running the tank about 4 months
You are correct. While canisters *can* promote high nitrates, when maintained properly they are fine.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the fish and properly QT and treat them for ich. You can use a brute can or whatever you've got. Make new saltwater for it and acclimate the fish to it. Hyposaline water can cause stress as well, so I recommend either doing that OR dosing copper. I'm not a fan of overlapping treatments when both will accomplish the same task and will only cause more stress to the fish if you do both. Don't dose copper to your display. With the fish removed, do a 50% water change on the display and be sure to gravel vac your sand. It will be beyond disgusting. Remove any "bio balls" or filter media from the tank. Those can contribute to your problem. Keep your fish in QT for six weeks. This will also starve out any remaining ich in your display. When you put your fish back, only feed them enough food they can eat within a few minutes once per day. Get into a routine of doing a 5% weekly water change, including gravel vacc'ing 1/4 of your sand by sections and clean out the filters. Adjust water change % from there if needed.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this is going to be a fish only tank forever. This is why your going to dose copper to the tank?

Yes, another test kit is needed if you want a solid number. API is used for trends.
Water changes will do it, but you don't know the actual number.
You are using rodi and salt to do water changes?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a fluval fx6 and a tidal 110 on a 180 fowlr. While I dont have nitrate issues, especially in a fowlr tank even with a canister filter, nitrates are going to be higher. I dont even test nitrates in my fowlr tank. Its not necessary, and I have a shark, and I still dont test. Id say its your salinity or improper dechlorinated water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back