OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, you can still run your skimmer. Your 1.15 dose is almost exactly half, so you should dose the remaining half today, let it circulate for a few hours and then test to confirm.

Jay
I just dosed the remaining portion, will test tonight.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I have been trying to lower my nitrates for weeks now! Every few days or once a week I lose a fish. Other fish in the tank barely swim, I thought maybe they’re just lazy. I have zero ammonia, nitrites, my ph was low but got a reef buffer and that increased my ph. I am running hyposalinty because my DT has Ich but screw it I purchases copper power and will be dosing my tank once my salinity is up, it’s currently 1.010, I’ll be slowly increasing it. Im pulling my hair because my nitrates will not go down. I replaced my purigen, carbon, was still high. I purchased filters and replaced them and did a 50 gallon water change, total system is 200 gallon and the nitrates still look the same! What in the world is going on?!!!?? This is tick*ng me off! I’ve done multiple water changes with the old filters and now even with the new it’s the same. I use purigen, carbon and these rinseable then eventually replaceable green filter balls from pet o. I see seachem has a de nitrate which looks like some sort of bio pellets. Can someone please suggest how to lower nitrates! Or what to use in my filter canisters?! Please, I’m about to throw my 200 gallon system out, what am I not getting.
Also the craziest thing is this. Last night around 2 am (that’s just when I got time) I changed the top fluval foam filter I had with acurel nitrate reducing media filter. And in one media container I added the algone pouch (1 is suppose to be good for 200 gallons). This morning when I woke up the tank seemed clearer so it looks like the algone helped. And I figured let me just test the nitrates and they tested around 40 ppm! I had tested the usually high 100-160 a couple days ago and now after a few hours it’s freakin 40 ppm! It’s crazy I don’t know what did it but I’m definitely gonna be using these from now on! I’m gonna replace the acurel pouch within a week to clear up my tank and then replace every 2-4 weeks as mentioned. dang..I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out by tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 25

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the craziest thing is this. Last night around 2 am (that’s just when I got time) I changed the top fluval foam filter I had with acurel nitrate reducing media filter. And in one media container I added the algone pouch (1 is suppose to be good for 200 gallons). This morning when I woke up the tank seemed clearer so it looks like the algone helped. And I figured let me just test the nitrates and they tested around 40 ppm! I had tested the usually high 100-160 a couple days ago and now after a few hours it’s freakin 40 ppm! It’s crazy I don’t know what did it but I’m definitely gonna be using these from now on! I’m gonna replace the acurel pouch within a week to clear up my tank and then replace every 2-4 weeks as mentioned. dang..I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out by tonight.
You're still using API Nitrate test kit. Zero trust or accuracy there. Did you order your new test kits? When will they arrive ?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video. I am glad you are going to add rocks, it is very needed. You have many fish and no where for them to hide. Also as you have very few rocks, you do not have much surface for the nitrate bacteria to reside in, maybe adding rocks will help your nitrate problem.
Once you raise your salinity and place more rocks, the fish will probably do better, as their stress level will be lower.
The hippo tang tend to get ich. I have a 3 years old hippo and he gets a few spots once in a while. I have never seen any ich on the other fish, only on the hippo. As he is doing well in any other way I am not too worried.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're still using API Nitrate test kit. Zero trust or accuracy there. Did you order your new test kits? When will they arrive ?
Haha yes I ordered the salifert nitrate test kit they’re coming in tomorrow. But I wanted to see the api result compared to the old one. I’m gonna finish whatever api test kit I have left and then probably order the RedSea full kit. I wish I knew about RedSea before I would’ve just ordered that one.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the video. I am glad you are going to add rocks, it is very needed. You have many fish and no where for them to hide. Also as you have very few rocks, you do not have much surface for the nitrate bacteria to reside in, maybe adding rocks will help your nitrate problem.
Once you raise your salinity and place more rocks, the fish will probably do better, as their stress level will be lower.
The hippo tang tend to get ich. I have a 3 years old hippo and he gets a few spots once in a while. I have never seen any ich on the other fish, only on the hippo. As he is doing well in any other way I am not too worried.
Thanks, yes I already raised the salinity to 1.018 and with salt water in the ATO I hope to get it to 1.020. I also added the copper to make the hippo feel better. I also have the marine pure blocks coming in that I’ll put in the sump, they’re suppose to help with anaerobic bacteria growth so that will also provide more surface area since I have few rocks.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes I ordered the salifert nitrate test kit they’re coming in tomorrow. But I wanted to see the api result compared to the old one. I’m gonna finish whatever api test kit I have left and then probably order the RedSea full kit. I wish I knew about RedSea before I would’ve just ordered that one.
Why use a test kit proven not to be accurate, Just to use it up. Makes zero sense compared to the amount of
Money invested in your system and your livestock.
You really should look into what test kit is easiest and MOST accurate together. Test kit brand loyalty is the wrong way to go. What’s the best kit for each element testing is the way to go.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why use a test kit proven not to be accurate, Just to use it up. Makes zero sense compared to the amount of
You really should look into what test kit is easiest and MOST accurate together. Test kit brand loyalty is the wrong way to go. What’s the best kit for each element testing is the way to go.

Point, I already have the Hannah copper tester, will look into the other testers. I looked at the list and currently don’t have any corals so don’t think I need any calcium or alkalinity testing yet? I did get the salifert nitrate one maybe I’ll buy individual tests from them in the meantime. I’ll check the nitrate again tomorrow with the new kit. I’m glad though the other general equipment I have is on the lists for best for 2022. And I purchased all except skimmer based off people’s recommendations here! The skimmer I just read and took a shot, it’s running good right now with a lot of foam.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just tested with the salifert test and got between 25-50 ppm of nitrates. I also tested with the api just for reference and got 40 ppm. It’s still higher than what I’d like but I’m gonna do some cleaning to lower them further.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested with the salifert test and got between 25-50 ppm of nitrates. I also tested with the api just for reference and got 40 ppm. It’s still higher than what I’d like but I’m gonna do some cleaning to lower them further.
Your doing great on this, stay focused, just don't clean too much, Nitrifying bacteria is going to help with your cloudy water so becareful to not deep clean. Since you're Fish only no corals, andding some premium live rock from a very trusted source may be a good option to get your biomass up to handle the large amount of fish you have. If I remember correctly, you started this with dry rock, the addition of some good quality live rock may be just what you need.
Bravo !!!! Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing great on this, stay focused, just don't clean too much, Nitrifying bacteria is going to help with your cloudy water so becareful to not deep clean. Since you're Fish only no corals, andding some premium live rock from a very trusted source may be a good option to get your biomass up to handle the large amount of fish you have. If I remember correctly, you started this with dry rock, the addition of some good quality live rock may be just what you need.
Hey thank you so much! My tank is definitely a little bit more clearer now after I changed the filters last night. There was a lot of green algae making my water look greenish and I wanted to do a water change but I was against it because of the bacteria. I also added one marine bio pure block. The other two arrived broken so I’m gonna try to get them replaced. I’m gonna do a water every two weeks for a 200 gallon how much should I change if I’m doing 2 a month?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I have been trying to lower my nitrates for weeks now! Every few days or once a week I lose a fish. Other fish in the tank barely swim, I thought maybe they’re just lazy. I have zero ammonia, nitrites, my ph was low but got a reef buffer and that increased my ph. I am running hyposalinty because my DT has Ich but screw it I purchases copper power and will be dosing my tank once my salinity is up, it’s currently 1.010, I’ll be slowly increasing it. Im pulling my hair because my nitrates will not go down. I replaced my purigen, carbon, was still high. I purchased filters and replaced them and did a 50 gallon water change, total system is 200 gallon and the nitrates still look the same! What in the world is going on?!!!?? This is tick*ng me off! I’ve done multiple water changes with the old filters and now even with the new it’s the same. I use purigen, carbon and these rinseable then eventually replaceable green filter balls from pet o. I see seachem has a de nitrate which looks like some sort of bio pellets. Can someone please suggest how to lower nitrates! Or what to use in my filter canisters?! Please, I’m about to throw my 200 gallon system out, what am I not getting.
I don’t know if everyone is going to read this but I just wanted to thank everyone that replied here for their help! It was thanks to you guys that made me realize how I had to something NOW and what it was that I should do that helped me stabilize my tank slightly. Thank you all so much, really I appreciate it even if I might have come off in some replies as if I didnt. The nitrates are lower around 40 ppm, salinity is slowly increasing around 1.018, my fish are all swimming doing better, they’re all eating EXCEPT my powder blue tang. The poor thing just swims in circles throughout the tank, even with food in front of it it doesn’t eat, it looks healthy but I want it to eat to make sure it stays that way. I’ve tried pellets, mysis flakes, frozen blends, brine shrimp, frozen mysis, nori I bought from stop and shop, added garlic extract and usually add selcon I also have another additive I got from BRS. Any idea what to do, it might be a silly idea but any way it can be blind or something?

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your time and detailed suggestions means a lot for a starter like me. I added fritz nitrifying bacteria during cycling, should I add something similar again? I started with live rock but did a lot of WCs since while lowering and increasing the salinity.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your time and detailed suggestions means a lot for a starter like me. I added fritz nitrifying bacteria during cycling, should I add something similar again? I started with live rock but did a lot of WCs since while lowering and increasing the salinity.
I honestly would let this glide for a little while keep close eye on your parameters and let the tank catch up and settle. Sometimes patience and not changing things yields a better outcome. Good work here !!!

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would let this glide for a little while keep close eye on your parameters and let the tank catch up and settle. Sometimes patience and not changing things yields a better outcome. Good work here !!!
Thank you! Any idea on the powder blue tang not eating?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back