No love for MH?

Would you ever use Metal Halide lighting again?

• Yes I use MH lighting now

Votes: 264 20.5%
  • Yes maybe in the future

Votes: 319 24.7%
  • No I would not

Votes: 679 52.7%
  • Other (please xplain in the thread)

Votes: 27 2.1%

• Total voters

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"hard to anticipate how it will look"
Welcome to reef lighting. Have you seen how many thread there are about Led light bars. SBreeflights, XHO reefbrite, Orphek, Reef Breeders and people trying to anticipate how they will look.
I'm a first time metal halide user and got exactly what I was anticipating. A crisp clean shimmering natural daylight look.
Just my 2 cents that all.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to get rude. Try a 20k Hamilton. That's what I ran when we could not get radiums anymore. Worked great for years. If your looking for an argument, plenty of threads out there.

Why do you interpret my response as rude? We are not arguing, you are incorrect, that is the difference.
If you knew you couldn't get Radiums, then why would you pile on by quoting and agreeing with the poster implied that I am not capable or unwilling to purchase a light bulb? Where you looking for an argument?

5 minutes of googling here has not resulted in one single 20K Hamilton bulb (Without fixture) in Canada, back to importing a bulb I might not even like.
The point is moot because LED does the same with much less power. I wish I had all the time back wasted "not arguing" with people and hunting down unobtanium bulbs across the globe.

Another point is MH narrowly avoided being banned outright in Canada so enjoy them for the time being I guess. Now that Phillips LED are almost 200lm/w, over twice that of halide, keep an eye out for California as these bulbs may be banned completely for residential use in the near future.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"hard to anticipate how it will look"
Welcome to reef lighting. Have you seen how many thread there are about Led light bars. SBreeflights, XHO reefbrite, Orphek, Reef Breeders and people trying to anticipate how they will look.
I'm a first time metal halide user and got exactly what I was anticipating. A crisp clean shimmering natural daylight look.
Just my 2 cents that all.

Good for you. If I don't like the colour I just adjust the slider on my LEDs.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked on Hamilton Technology, they have 150w DE 20k bulbs right there.
Sorry it doesn't say radium.

I wanted a Radium because it was the color I wanted. I don't want a Hamilton. Hamilton is not in Canada. Sorry I don't like Hamilton.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to avoid the fanboy dribble that has been happening the last few pages and just point out again that there are no efficiencies in light types, just bad choices. Also, even in Canada, MH for specialized lighting was never a threat to be banned - just for SOME high-bay general lighting. Both false narratives that were covered in the prior 28 pages and about half a dozen links to Dell Aquilla's presentation on light facts.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to avoid the fanboy dribble that has been happening the last few pages and just point out again that there are no efficiencies in light types, just bad choices. Also, even in Canada, MH for specialized lighting was never a threat to be banned - just for SOME high-bay general lighting. Both false narratives that were covered in the prior 28 pages and about half a dozen links to Dell Aquilla's presentation on light facts.

More piling on hiding behind moderation? Hoping to get another opinion you can trounce on?

Starting fights, then blaming others when you get hit back? Seems a little immature, doesn't it?

Fanboy? Why would a LED fanboy buy a MH fixture?

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread had great information but as usual it turns into a lighting war with absolute nonsense. If you can't be nice and debate in a friendly manner without cursing then don't post. Another thread to avoid that actually has good info.

Why are your not editing harassing posts that agree with you?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just trounce on facts, ignorance and incompetence, not opinions. I don't care what you want to run or believe, but spare us the garbage that Canada is banning MH on a reef board with the connotation that they will be banned for a reef or that somehow you cannot get US goods across the border if you just place an order. There is no opinion about one light being more efficient than the other - facts say otherwise.

If I were trouncing on opinions I would mention that only a troll or somebody who is incompetent is seeking a 150w Radium DE bulb. They are half the output of a 14k Phoenix, twice the money and look nearly identical on m81 bulbs. Seems more to me like a cherry picked narrative of a fanboy.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH is horribly inefficient and bulbs are really hard to get. (Heat)

LED are kinda expensive for nice fixture with lots of features, but LED diodes are not inherently expensive in and of themselves. I mean even a nice ATI 100watt T5 fixture cost $750 plus bulbs here.

I switched from a 360 Kessil to 150 watt MH just to have that real world experience. It was OK, yes it was easy however it lacked the pop of LED and didn't make it past the first bulb change. I replaced it with some 5000K screw in LED lol until I settled on a Radion with diffuser.

MH light is very broadband shotgun approach to lighting which is why it works so well and why LED is much more efficient when the right configuration is chosen. All MH lights are more alike then different, LED fixtures can be quite different from one another.
LED allows us to extract certain spectrums of interest seen in MH, while rejecting others.

Only downfall to the Radion is I can't warm hot dogs on it like I did with the MH.

I also had to lol at this post

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take pictures of my corals this weekend under 2 radion gen 3 pro with diffuser running sps ab+ with 4 blue + t5 and compare a month after switching out to the Giesemann Infiniti, I am hoping I love the switch. Does anyone know how to make a loop with the Giesemann mounting wire? I can take the piece off my aquatic life t5 hybrid that makes a wire loop.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take pictures of my corals this weekend under 2 radion gen 3 pro with diffuser running sps ab+ with 4 blue + t5 and compare a month after switching out to the Giesemann Infiniti, I am hoping I love the switch. Does anyone know how to make a loop with the Giesemann mounting wire? I can take the piece off my aquatic life t5 hybrid that makes a wire loop.

I don't know how to make that same exact loop but I know Home Depot sells something similar that would probably work. I'm really looking forward to your change since I am currently running the exact same light setup but have a 250w Aquamedic halide fixture that I was thinking about mounting in the Aquatic Life hybrid fixture

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back to 3 x 250W MH Radiums, but supplemented with ATI blue+ T5 on the back and Blue LEDs on the front.

I did not have to dial in anything and the corals are coloring and growing so well. I wasted a good 2-3 years trying out LEDs and lost out on enjoying the reef.

437b82ff51c73967b946558a6abc29c1.jpg
Hi, like I said, LED's are not for everyone, just like M/H VHO, T5 fixtures are not for everyone. Whatever works best for you is all that matters.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to make that same exact loop but I know Home Depot sells something similar that would probably work. I'm really looking forward to your change since I am currently running the exact same light setup but have a 250w Aquamedic halide fixture that I was thinking about mounting in the Aquatic Life hybrid fixture
I will post the pictures and comparisons in this thread I created when I originally considered making the change to halides.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t5-led-vs-t5-metal-hallide.427851/

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JDA, you really don’t experience any negative reaction from bulb changes? That has been the biggest factor in my staying with t5ho and not going back to halides. I remember getting significant stress and even some acro loss when changing bulbs each time, even when using multiple layers of screening to account for the par jump.

My friends with halides have the most dramatic growth and I really miss that

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not since switching to 10k bulbs, and up, made for aquariums... and changing them every year.

I did have issues way back in the 4300 to 5500k days... but often these bulbs were run for years and year and probably dropped off. IIRC (and this was a long time ago), these issues is why the 1 year recommendation came into play, to help with the transition.

I am going to change today or tomorrow (valentines day is my change day every year) and other than making sure that the fixtures are not too hot and the glass gets clean (I use DE stuff), I won't do anything for acclimation.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add 1200W of LED's see what happens........
See THAT is my pet peeve.. Even considering the higher degree of LED "delivery accuracy" you still have watts producing photons in proportion o their efficiency.
W/ halides that is about 100L/ watt.. W/ LED's they were less than that, commonly equal to that and getting more common 20-30% more than that.

Also REAL watts not the fake ones given by black boxes..

People that say things like "my 200W of LED's didn't grow or color my corals like my 800w of halides did"..is just ..err ..a stupid comparison...

It's real output and in some regards real spectrum. I have no love for Royal Blue/High K white LED arrays.
That alone was what gave led's a.. er.. "bad name" coupled w/ fake watt labeling.. well things are just not equal in gross photons.. thus not equal in response..
It's not the LED's per se..
Yea there is also a "form factor" issue i.e tiny small emitters w/ a lot of focused output, but that is a physics problem mainly not an "LED" problem..

The valid "arguments" are "design" related not LED related..
Great!
We have no physics problem using halides. Thanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back