No more lurking

jdogclif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading reefing forums for the past several years and had a couple of small tanks, both reef and freshwater planted. We recently built a new home and my sweet wife suggested that I install an in-wall tank with a fish room so I said "OK" if I must :).

I have done and continue to do tons of research and planning. I went with a 270 gallon tank from Crystal Reef Aquatics in Bellingham, WA. They were great to work with and the tank turned out very nice. Frankly when I got it in the house I was a bit intimidated by the size and started to wonder what the heck I was getting myself into. I figured I would join R2R for moral support since you guys seem so nice and helpful!

OP
OP
jdogclif

jdogclif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some dry rock from BRS and let it circulate for a few weeks. Then I ordered 80 lbs live sand and about 25 lbs of live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Once that was in WOW the water was clear. That TBS stuff is awesome!

TBS live rock:
IMG_3015.JPG

Clear tank after adding live rock and sand!
IMG_3049.JPG

OP
OP
jdogclif

jdogclif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone says to go slow with a reef tank; work and kids and life pretty much force that! Like many people I'm sure, I get a couple hours here and there every week to work on it. I'm *hoping* that the Triton method will allow for a little less time required for maintenance, plus I've tried to set everything up to make chores a little easier.

I got the refugium lights up: I was going to go with the H380 but couldn't resist trying these $10 lights from Amazon. If they don't work, I'll go with the Kessil...
IMG_3099.JPG

The protein skimmer is doing its thing. Reef Octopus 300 INT. I was surprised at the size when I opened the box, but now I'm used to it!

IMG_3103.JPG

OP
OP
jdogclif

jdogclif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the nice comments! @tripdad my wife buys shoes too but she tells me that she saved so much money because they were on sale, so I just use all the money that she saved to buy more fish stuff :)

So quick question; this is the "meet and great" forum, do I keep posting my updates here or am I supposed to move over to the "member tanks" forum to continue the tank's progress? Or does it matter?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back