No PC, can I still setup and use a Profilux 4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if you need a PC to setup and configure a Profilux 4 or can I do it all from the front panel and/or the inbuilt webserver (assuming it has one). I have a tablet so was hoping I could use the web browser on the tablet as I don't want to buy a PC just to run the software.
Many thanks for any help you can provide.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the answer is no, but wait for someone more knowledgeable.

You might be able to set up the WiFi connection thru the dashboard and then use their myGHL cloud. The myGHL is still being improved, but I personally would get very frustrated configuring a Profilux4 thru the cloud entirely. Also, you'll need to update firmware, which you can probably do via their web browser, but you need a way to download files from their web site and upload them thru the webBrower (a Mac would work for shuttling files), but I don't know if the tablet gives you enough of a filesystem to do that (maybe)?

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if it works fine thru a VM / Vagrant Box on a Mac. While I'm pretty sure it's against the software license to use the MS vagrant image, it technically probably works. If I was Mac only, I would give that a try.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GHL's pc software on my MacBook Pro all the time. I use VMware Fusion to run a bootcamp image of windows 10.
You can run a Profilux right from the keypad if you need too.
82769c0dc022c6b8e81b63b3ad0955d2.png

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ghl control program on pc is SUPER buggy. I get constant errors and it needs to close all the time. I called GHL and they were able to replicate the bugs and said just use a mobile phone. I don't feel that is a good answer.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ghl control program on pc is SUPER buggy. I get constant errors and it needs to close all the time. I called GHL and they were able to replicate the bugs and said just use a mobile phone. I don't feel that is a good answer.

I remember reading your post on another thread. I think the PC app is the primary control for both the Mitras + Profilux 4, not the mobile phone app. I'm able to use the PC app fine and I don't think their official position is abandoning the the PC app (the most recent pc build is June 16th 2017 as of today). However given the complexities of the windows environment, I don't doubt your problems. To the Op's original question, I suspect a PC or Macbook running a VM is required, but more users will hopefully chime in.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I ever wrote about it before but when I was having issues I called them. I know it's way off topic but wanted to let someone know about the issues. I regret buying two of the 2.1 dosers because of it.

OP
OP
M

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading this a bit more, it seems the Profilux 4 no longer has a web server built in which would point it back to using Windows software. Is it also true the only way to upgrade the firmware is through the Windows software?
What I am trying to achieve is to get the the Profilux 4 connected to the Cloud and driving everything from there.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this mean that you do NEED a Windows software? I was looking at buying a doser, but I am a Mac guy and don't even run Fusion or the like....

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this mean that you do NEED a Windows software? I was looking at buying a doser, but I am a Mac guy and don't even run Fusion or the like....
The doser has a smartphone app, there are some other reviews on that. The OP is talking about Profilux 4

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just reading this a bit more, it seems the Profilux 4 no longer has a web server built in which would point it back to using Windows software. Is it also true the only way to upgrade the firmware is through the Windows software?
What I am trying to achieve is to get the the Profilux 4 connected to the Cloud and driving everything from there.

There is a mini webserver for updating firmware, but not a web server to control the Profilux is my understanding. I have limited experience with myGHL, but at this time I would find it frustrating to control it entirely thru the cloud. I suspect the cloud software will evolve and will become good enough to drive the whole Profilux4, but for me today, I would find it limiting.

OP
OP
M

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks, so just to confirm, you can connect to the webserver from a browser and update the firmware directly in the browser?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mark Taber
Yes, the P4 does have a built-in web server which will allow you to connect to your WiFi network without having to use a PC. You can use your tablet to search for nearby WiFi networks and connect directly to the P4. From there, you enter the factory assigned IP address of the controller into your web browser and you'll be connected to the P4's web server. The web server at the moment can only be used to configure WiFi settings and WiFi module firmware updates. At a later point, once we complete testing for safety and security, you will be able to have more control over the actual functions of the P4; view sensor and probe data, socket control, feed pauses, maintenance modes, webcam viewing, and much more.

Our GHL Control Center PC software will give you the most complete experience with our products. P4 firmware updates, PAB-device firmware update, backing up controller and probe data, and adding new PAB-devices to the P4 system are all done through GHL Control Center. If you need to get an idea for how our software works, @reefwiser has some great videos which show helpful tips for using GCC. We also have a Youtube channel with tutorials using GCC.

As far as accessibility goes, you can run GCC either on a Mac using VMware Fusion OR on a PC. Nowadays PC's can be purchased for under $200. I just recently saw a Windows-based RCA tablet for less than $100 at Walmart. It may be worth looking into this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Camb...75035&wl11=online&wl12=45804382&wl13=&veh=sem

You can also create and assign functions using the touch keys on the P4 itself. Reefwiser shared a photo which perfectly shows how our menu is laid out on the P4.

@bubbaque
Just to clarify, we did identify with you two bugs in our GCC software that pops up ONLY for those connecting to their Doser 2.1 SA wirelessly. Performing calibration and manually turning on specific pumps via myGHL, app, or USB connection all work just fine. The issue does not affect any other device, only the Doser 2.1 SA. We also mentioned that this issue will be addressed in the next GCC release and to use the app on the meantime if you still wanted wireless access. You can also use myGHL to perform the same tasks. GCC is not the only option for connecting to the doser. :)

@divewsharks
The PC software becomes necessary if you want to update firmware, get the doser connected to your WiFi network, or setup myGHL. Otherwise, you'll be able to wirelessly control it right out of the box with your phone or tablet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark Taber

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answer. In truth I want to do everything without using a computer as I don't want the additional cost of purchasing a PC just to use for the controller. I think in summary, at this point in time, I would struggle to run a Profilux without using the Windows software and although some improvements are in the works, it's not clear they will solve my challenge entirely or when they would be available.
Thanks again, it is certainly hard choosing between all the different controllers on the market at the moment and there are compromises which ever one you pick!

Reefer525XL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will GCC ever be compatible with Mac OS X? Wether PC's are cheap or not I feel the software should be compatible with both OS without the need of jumping through hoops to get windows running on a Mac. Even that will cost money if done legally.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will GCC ever be compatible with Mac OS X? Wether PC's are cheap or not I feel the software should be compatible with both OS without the need of jumping through hoops to get windows running on a Mac. Even that will cost money if done legally.
I doubt they will make a Mac port given the effort vs reward, simply making everything work smoothly thru the cloud would solve the problem.

The Mac native app market is very difficult, you can count the number of companies that have a Mac native & windows native app of solid quality on one hand.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Mac GCC but controller companies are Mom and pop enterprises. An only have so much resources to invest in anything and everything. One can wish that it could happen but one needs to be realistic.
I would rather see a good mobile phone app that does everything that GCC as the average customer will use a phone app more that a computer program.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a Mac GCC but controller companies are Mom and pop enterprises. An only have so much resources to invest in anything and everything. One can wish that it could happen but one needs to be realistic.
I would rather see a good mobile phone app that does everything that GCC as the average customer will use a phone app more that a computer program.
They will make their own decision, but I really hope they push the cloud first, with a mobile friendly website. The number of people that have a quality iOS and Android app is also small. You could just give in and go all iOS, but you'll have the same problem with people asking were is the Android version.

I'm sure they've add these talks adnausem internally, this is mostly for the people on this thread.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ghl just a heads up its not just those two issues, You pretty much can't do anything in the GHL control center without an error and it forcing to close. Can't have it manually dose, calibrate, refill containers, change wifi settings and many more. It is frustrating that I have to use other methods to control my dosers, especially on the iphone app, you have to make sure you click save twice on any chances or it just reverts back to what it was. I get scared to make changes because it might not save my work.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a Windows issue. I would post on the GHL company forum. About these issues. As I never have that type of issues with GCC.

Back