Noisy overflow

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the latest on this is.....

I've purchased Fluval Foam Pad (2 pack) and shoved them up the drain, I've also folded up a 1-2 foot piece of air line tube and placed it under the two pads in the drain. The noise is all put gone. If the water pushed it out of the drain i'll probably put two small holes in the end of the drain and run a cable tie through it. So far so good.

The next small issue and it's much much much smaller is the trickle over into the weir. I might go get some filter wool which will soften the fall but also further polish the water.

My final issue which may not be solvable is the noise from the two pumps (skimmer and return pump)

fluval-u3-foam-pad-2-pack-a132917.jpg
If this gets clogged, water everywhere. Be careful.
Also, to quite the wier, raise the pipe in the chamber. The water will have a less distance to fall.

Laker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've recently got a Aqua One Mini Reef system (120L), link at the bottom. The system seems to work very well however the overflow drain is ridiculously noisy. Like I can hear falling water right now in another room.

The water flows through into the weir and down into the drain as per this picture (1 is down, 4 is return). It's falling into the sump and I believe this is where the noise is coming from. The sump is filled to the specified level.

Can I please have some advise on how to quieten this system.

plumb.png

http://www.aquaone.com.au/2018-02-20-00-40-42/aquariums-3/minireef/item/3381-53419wh

I had the same problem and build a reversed durso in sump , please google or see YouTube link below, simple and problem solved.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way around drilling out the air hole is to put an air pump forcing air into it.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest, how up my weir intake should the water be? Just had a quick look at it's almost to the top. Does that mean my flow rate is too high from my return pump?

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats wrong with hearing water falling ????????????????????

For some stock systems you have to talk over it in the room and you can hear it through the house. It’s not a trickle, it can sound like a toilet flushing over and over. To each their own but I think most people hearing that all the time would find it relaxing it enjoyable. And if you do, enjoy..

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way around drilling out the air hole is to put an air pump forcing air into it.
Not sure if this would work.
Only saying that cuz the water needs to "relax" when going down the drain. If you force air, not sure that the water could settle and naturally flow.
The way his system is working now is its starving for air and creating a vacuum. At that point it burps cuz the pressure equalibrium is off. Forcing air with a pump would either push to much or not enough. You would never get it perfect and would still make noise.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kiwis, did you solve the noisy overflow?

Maybe, I’ve got a ball valve on my return pump and slowed the return rate down a lot. This seems to have fixed most of it. I’m getting some gurgling now so still requires some tweaking.

Fingers crossed flow rate isn’t too slow

Andynz2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
sorry to revive the thread but I am literally having the same noise problem with my aqua one minireef 120. I have extended the drain pipe to the sump so it’s submerged and that’s helped with some noise but now there’s gurgling noise near the top, did anyone end up drilling a larger hole??

nzkiwi80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
sorry to revive the thread but I am literally having the same noise problem with my aqua one minireef 120. I have extended the drain pipe to the sump so it’s submerged and that’s helped with some noise but now there’s gurgling noise near the top, did anyone end up drilling a larger hole??

I used a 20mm ball valve (you may need to confirm if it is 20mm, I could be wrong on this size).

This slowed the flow rate and removed the gurgling completely. Still had good circulation and had no issues with filtration. I did include a wavemaker into the display tank mind you.

Once the system established I released more of the of the valve. Might have been the system maturing or the return pump slowing as it aged etc.

Either way it worked perfectly.

1632861610960.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
Gurgling of a drain is because there is too much flow going down the pipe. The noise is from the water going down the pipe pulling air down with it. There are ways to mess with a straight pipe, like the Durso system, or playing with holes and tubing. The real fix is to slow down the return pump a little bit or to switch the overflow system to a siphon like a Herbie or Beanimal.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the main drain pipe lower in the overflow, so it's completely submerged at all times, and near the bottom of the box. Put a valve preferably a gate valve but a ball valve can do also. Put that between the main drain at the box and the sump. Tune it so the main doesn't draw air, and there's a slight trickle down the secondary drain pipe. Problem solved!

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the main drain pipe lower in the overflow, so it's completely submerged at all times, and near the bottom of the box. Put a valve preferably a gate valve but a ball valve can do also. Put that between the main drain at the box and the sump. Tune it so the main doesn't draw air, and there's a slight trickle down the secondary drain pipe. Problem solved!
Does he have a Herbie drain?

If so, the main drain should be about 5" below the weir and the secondary just below the weir so you have no splash over it. The 5" so no bubbles get sucks down as a funnel from the siphone may be made. Gate valve not a ball cuz it would be too hard to tune /maintain. That should be installed as close as possible to the sump. Close but still be able to fiddle with it.
The idea is to have a continuous siphone. If it gets clogged or slows, you still have the secondary and it will make noise so you catch it and make your corrections. Make sure the secondary handles all the flow that your pumps puts out.

Sorry, just clarifying so it gets done once the right way.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!
If you only have 1 drain and you intend to keep it that way, yes, drill the hole larger. Go a little bigger, try it, a little more, try it, more, ect... Until it's quiet.

I had it this way until I switched my return to the secondary drain and had the return just go over the top of the tank. You can get it quiet. Or do a Herbie if your tank has 2 holes for an even more quiet tank.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back