Noobie question #2

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16898B79-D99F-4E40-8A04-931A9E1AB159.jpeg
my last tank regrettably was shut down and partly filled with water for longer than I’d like to admit. I recently cleaned it out (tons of algae and such)

My question is. The live rock that came from that tank (still wet). Is it safe to put into a new tank? I know I need to clean it and scrub it too get all of the unwanted dead/decaying material off of it. But my last tank I rushed and ended up having a lot of issues with ich and velvet etc etc.. putting this rock along with new live/dry sand would be ok; Provided I follow a 76 day fallow period with no fish but maybe a few hermits and such. Should allow for any diseases to die off correct?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this video from Marc Levenson:

Cooking Live Rock

This answers all your questions.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is your best bet in this situation.

I know this is probably based off of personal opinion; but what about Live sand? I know ich and such can probably come in on it; even if maybe it’s unlikely. I can still follow a fallow period to kill it off. What about worse things coming in off of it? Things that could be detrimental to corals or even the fish. Do you trust live sand?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is probably based off of personal opinion; but what about Live sand? I know ich and such can probably come in on it; even if maybe it’s unlikely. I can still follow a fallow period to kill it off. What about worse things coming in off of it? Things that could be detrimental to corals or even the fish. Do you trust live sand?
That's all I've ever used and it has worked well for me. That being said I would be careful about using sand from your old system. You can dry it out and rinse it but then it would be "live" anymore and you would need to cycle it the same as the rock. The sand could also potentially contain nutrient build up that could cause issues later on so a good rinse is needed either way. Make sure to mix it well and wear gloves if your old tank had bristle worms in it.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly could do that, and to make sure you've killed everything, add bleach. However, you now have dead rock that needs to be cured....about 1 1/2 to 2 months. If you have the time, it would guarantee pest-free rock.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You certainly could do that, and to make sure you've killed everything, add bleach. However, you now have dead rock that needs to be cured....about 1 1/2 to 2 months. If you have the time, it would guarantee pest-free rock.

Cured of the bleach you mean? I don’t know if the bleach will be necessary. I never had any aptasia or flat worms or anything of that nature. I just wanna be sure I’m not introducing ich and velvet again (hence the fallow period I’ll be following as well). Thank you in advance Btw; this forum seems to be the only place I can get quick knowledgeable and trusting advice.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used it in 2 different tanks and never had ich transport in it. ich can't live very long without fish gills to infect and I can't imagine it would last long in a sealed bag plastic bag with wet sand.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used it in 2 different tanks and never had ich transport in it. ich can't live very long without fish gills to infect and I can't imagine it would last long in a sealed bag plastic bag with wet sand.

That’s very true I never thought about the actual packaging process. By the time the sand is ever even touched by fish it’s probably
Been months and months since the packaging and cycling period took place.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be clear about your bathtub plan. Once you hit that rock with freshwater, it's now dead rock. You've pretty much killed everything, including the bacteria within. So now that rock needs to be cured....basically a process that allows the decaying dead stuff to break down and leach out of the rock. This process typically takes 1 1\2 to 2 months. The good news is that the cycling can be happening concurrently.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be clear about your bathtub plan. Once you hit that rock with freshwater, it's now dead rock. You've pretty much killed everything, including the bacteria within. So now that rock needs to be cured....basically a process that allows the decaying dead stuff to break down and leach out of the rock. This process typically takes 1 1\2 to 2 months. The good news is that the cycling can be happening concurrently.

And to just double check with what you’re saying. I Don’t want to leave any rock unturned here.
(No pun intended)

Bathtub/scrubbing will kill it.

It will then need to be cured because of all the decomposing and dead material that will be leaching out.
During this period it is safe to throw into the tank during the fallow/cycling period with a minimal CUC.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do the cure in the tank.....only thing needed is flow. Certainly would not run lights....nitrates and phosphates spike during a cure, and if you add lights....major algae bloom. Preform water changes as needed, and don't be afraid to do 100% water changes.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to kill it would it make sense to scrub the hell out of it and powerwash it to get as much off of it as possible?

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to kill it would it make sense to scrub the hell out of it and powerwash it to get as much off of it as possible?

That’s exactly what I’m going to be doing. Other than the power washing part.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Many years ago we always dipped live rock but it was strait out of the south pacific ocean, and it sure didn't always get everything. I had a 220 set up for a little over a year and fish started disappearing, I had a mantis shrimp had to take everything out to catch him lol.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Many years ago we always dipped live rock but it was strait out of the south pacific ocean, and it sure didn't always get everything. I had a 220 set up for a little over a year and fish started disappearing, I had a mantis shrimp had to take everything out to catch him lol.

Wish I had a mantis shrimp. That bathtub water would get him nice and tasty.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back